The issue of relocating from Nigeria has become a topic of discussion among a growing number of Nigerians. Many people have pondered on why Nigerians are constantly moving to other countries, particularly Canada. However, while people ponder, the steady migration continues with others seeking ways to reach their “promised land.”
This article will highlight reasons for Nigerians’ emigration to Canada, and share guidelines on steps to take for prospective migrants.
1. Welcoming nature
Canada is one of the most diverse countries, as it promotes multiculturalism. It is known for accepting immigrants from different cultural and religious backgrounds. Canada, among other nations, is seen as one of the countries with the highest immigration rates. This receptiveness has made it an attractive destination for Nigerians.
Canada offers job opportunities in multiple fields. These opportunities are also open to skilled immigrants. The Canadian government has revealed plans to introduce more immigrants into the workforce to bridge the gap in some sectors of the economy. This plan is seen as an avenue to create opportunities for skilled and semi-skilled individuals ready to settle down, which is a dream come true for most Nigerians who aim to find work outside the country.
3. Education System
Canada is known for its subsidized and high-quality education system. It offers graduate visa programs with a diverse range of education options for Nigerians hoping to pursue an education outside Nigeria.
4. Accessible immigration system
Various immigration offers provide immigrants opportunities to relocate to the country. Canada’s open and well-regulated immigration system is part of the reasons why Canada has become a viable option for Nigerians.
With all the benefits, many people are curious about the immigration process. Relocating to Canada will require obtaining permanent residency (PR) in Canada. This process involves assessing one’s eligibility, meeting requirements, and submitting the application for a permanent resident card.
The requirements and steps depend on the path you take which centers on two main categories:
- Provincial Nominee Program
Most of the Provinces and territories in Canada offer programs that address the skills that are lacking in the local economy. The Provincial Nominee Program is a program that focuses on individuals who have the education, skills, and work experience to contribute to the economy of a particular Province. The program centers on graduates, semi-skilled and skilled workers. Each of the Provinces has streams designated to meet the needs of their labor markets that usually target particular categories of people.
The Provincial Nominee Program allows different Provinces in Canada to nominate individuals interested in settling in a particular province. The program aims at enhancing a broader and even distribution of immigrants across the country.
The following steps are required to qualify for the Provincial Nominee Program:
- Immigrants are required to apply for nomination to the Province they want to live in.
- Immigrants need to possess the necessary skills, qualifications, and work experience for the Province to nominate them.
- When approved by the Province, applicants should submit another application to the government for Canadian permanent resident status.
- Express Entry System
Express Entry System is a system created by the Canadian government to address labor market shortages in the economy. The express entry system consists of immigration programs that enable skilled individuals to migrate to Canada as residents. The system offers some federal programs for skillful or experienced workers under the following categories:
- Federal Skilled Trades Program for candidates who are certified and skilled in particular trades.
- Federal Skilled Worker Program for skilled workers who have qualifications with a minimum of one year of work experience.
- Canada Experience Class for candidates who have worked in certain occupations in Canada for at least one year.
The steps to take in the express entry program include:
- Creating an Express Entry Profile
Interested candidates are required to apply through the Express Entry System by creating an online profile. Applicants are usually ranked or scored following a ranking system known as the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Comprehensive Ranking System is a points-based system that awards points to profiles created according to specified criteria that include:
- Canadian language benchmark – proficiency in English and French
- Work Experience
- Level of Education
- Provincial Nomination
- Relative residing in Canada
- Submitting documents in the document checklist
A document checklist is a list of the documents required to be with the online application. The documents include:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate if married
- Language test results got from approved English tests like the International English language Testing System (IELTS).
- Work experience documents which include reference letters and employment letters.
- Medical reports
- Education Credential Assessment report for foreign credentials and copies of certificates.
- Travel document or valid passport
Candidates ranked with high profiles following the Comprehensive Ranking System are given Invitations to Apply for permanent residency in Canada.
Immigration can be a stressful experience, but with the proper steps and timely plans, this can ease your immigration process.