Connect with us
Paramount
Advertisement
Ican
Advertisement
IZIKJON
Advertisement
forex
Advertisement
Stanbic IBTC
Advertisement
Polaris bank
Advertisement
Binance
Advertisement
Esetech
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
Fidelity ads
Advertisement
app

Business

FG says Third Mainland Bridge won’t be reopened on February 15, extends completion date

The reopening of the Third Mainland Bridge will no longer happen on Monday as earlier scheduled.

Published

on

Third Mainland Bridge is intact and safe for commuters - FG

The Federal Government has announced that the Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on Monday, February 15, 2021, the earlier scheduled completion date for the rehabilitation works.

This is as work will soon begin on the casting of the last expansion joint on the bridge before it will be finally reopened.

According to a report from the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), this disclosure was made by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, in a telephone conversation.

Popoola said that the bridge would not be opened on Monday but at the end of February, as it would undergo one more total closure from February 19 to February 21 before completion of the project for the final re-opening by the end of February.

READ: FG to spend N4billion to rehabilitate 3rd mainland bridge – Finance Minister

What the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos is saying

In his statement, Popoola said, “Third Mainland Bridge will no longer be opened on the 15th of February 2021 as announced earlier on.

“In order not to create untold hardship for the motoring public using the Third Mainland Bridge for their daily activities, the contractor is not allowed to close the Third Mainland Bridge during the week to cast concrete.

“Lane markings on the completed section must be completed. The Federal Ministry of Works and Housing regrets the inconveniences the extra days may have caused the Lagosians.”

READ: Export professional tasks FG to seek inward for products with huge export potential

He explained further:

We are looking at the end of the month for the reopening of the bridge. That is the end of this February.

“They will cast concrete on the last expansion joint next weekend. We are not allowed to cast during the week so that the traffic will not be too much for people going to work. They will cast next weekend and after casting, we need about three or four days to do post-tensioning. That is why we are looking at end of February completion.

“Casting will be done next weekend for the last expansion joint, it will require total closure of the bridge next weekend just to prevent vibration. So if we close the bridge Friday night, then we cast on Saturday by Sunday we will open it. That will be the last total closure to fix the last expansion joint.”

bitcoin train

What you should know

  • It can be recalled that the Federal Government announced the partial shutdown of the Third Mainland Bridge for 6 months on July 24 for another round of rehabilitation works.
  • This was extended by an extra one month due to disruption caused by the #EndSARS protests last year, when the re-opening date moved to February 15, 2021.
  • Traffic was partially diverted on a stretch of 3.5km where construction was ongoing between Adeniji Adeniji Ramp and Ebute Meta, while different time belts were allotted for traffic diversions on the bridge.

Binance

Chike Olisah is a graduate of accountancy with over 15 years working experience in the financial service sector. He has worked in research and marketing departments of three top commercial banks. Chike is a senior member of the Nairametrics Editorial Team. You may contact him via his email- [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Business

School kidnappings: Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers – Buhari

The President has assured Nigerians that the military and the police will continue to go after kidnappers.

Published

on

Military located bandits in kankara, Q1 2020 National Debt report, Buhari finally speaks on NDDC probe, urges NA to act with a sense of urgency,National Human Rights Commission,Presidency bows to pressure, agrees to demand made by EndSARS protesters, Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown-Buhari, Zarbarmari: Massacre by Boko Haram is nothing short of senseless, barbaric, gruesome and cowardly- Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari stated that the Federal Government is working hard to bring an end to the recent incident of mass school kidnappings in Northwestern Nigeria and urges the Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers.

The President disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday morning , reacting to news of the release of schoolgirls kidnapped in Zamfara State.

I join the affected families and the people of Zamfara State in welcoming and celebrating the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe.

This news bring overwhelming joy. I am pleased that their ordeal has come to a happy end without any incident,” Buhari said.

Buhari added that the FG needs the support of local communities to bring an end to school kidnappings by terrorists, and urges the authorities to keep going after them.

We are working hard to bring an end to these grim and heartbreaking incidents of kidnapping. The Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers. They need the support of local communities in terms of human intelligence that can help nip criminal plans in the bud,” he said.

What you should know 

  • Nairametrics reported today that The Governor of Zamfara State, Dr. Bello Matawalle stated the kidnapped schoolgirls of the Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, have been released after being kidnapped last week.

Continue Reading

Business

US supports appointment of new service chiefs, affirms close ties with Nigeria

The US Government has endorsed President Buhari’s appointment of ex-military service chiefs.

Published

on

FG to attract foreign investors for Actors Guild of Nigeria

The United States Government has expressed its support for the recent appointment of military service chiefs by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The new appointments are expected to bring new approaches to combating terrorism in the northeast and provide national security across the country.

According to a statement signed by the spokesperson for the US Department of States, Ned Price, this disclosure was made by the new US Secretary of State, Antony J. Blinken, during a phone call conversation with Nigeria’s Minister for Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on Monday, March 1, 2021.

He also acknowledged the threats that violent extremists posed to Nigeria and regional security as a whole.

READ: President Biden revokes Trump’s ban for green card applicants in US

While highlighting the importance that the United States placed on its relationship with Nigeria, Secretary Blinken outlined a holistic approach to the US-Nigeria partnership based on their shared values of democracy, respect for human rights and robust people-to-people relations.

The statement said that as part of efforts to ensure a good relationship with Nigeria, Blinken referred to President Biden’s revocation of immigrant visa restrictions on Nigeria as an affirmation of the close ties between Americans and Nigerians.

He also reiterated the support of the United States for Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala as the new Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO).

Talking about the conversation with his US counterpart, Geoffrey Onyema expressed his delight at the discussion which covered a broad range of bilateral and multilateral issues.

READ: FG reacts to inclusion of Nigeria on religious freedom blacklist by United States

He said, “Very glad to re-engage, through a very nice phone call with US Secretary of State, Secretary Blinken. We covered a broad range of bilateral and multilateral issues and look forward to increased cooperation.”

On his part, Secretary Blinken said, “Delighted to speak with Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyema. We deeply value our bilateral relationship with Nigeria and look forward to rejuvenating our partnership based on shared values of democracy, respect for human rights, and robust people-to-people relations.”

What this means

This appears to be a renewed partnership and bilateral relationship between the United States and Nigeria, which seemed to have suffered some setbacks during the Trump administration.

bitcoin train

This was clearly evident in visa restrictions on Nigeria and the refusal of the last US administration to support the confirmation of Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the Director-General of the WTO despite the unanimous support of member states.

Binance

 

Jaiz bank ads

Continue Reading
Advertisement




Advertisement

Nairametrics | Company Earnings