Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos has disclosed that the state has set up a N2 billion relief fund for victims of the Sunday’s explosion around Abule Ado area.
The explosion, which took place in Abule Ado area, led to the loss of lives and property.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) had said over 50 buildings were destroyed in the explosion that rocked Abule Ado.
The Acting Coordinator of the Lagos territorial office of NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria, adding that the casualty figures were currently unknown as rescue operations were still ongoing.
He said the fire resulting from the explosion later spread to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) oil pipeline passing through the area, although the pipeline had been shut down as a precautionary measure.
The explosion shook many houses in Ijegun, Festac Town and other communities outside Amuwo Odofin with many people waking up to see their glass doors and windows shattered from the explosion. Properties including houses and cars were destroyed.
According to him, a combined team of the Lagos State Fire Service, Federal Fire Service and the Nigerian Navy Fire Tender are currently battling to put out the inferno.
According to Valentine Buraimoh, chairman of Amuwo Odofin local government area (LGA), who spoke to the Cable, about three other schools and some churches were affected.
“We have called LASEMA and they are on their way, but our men are still on the ground trying to rescue as many as they can.”
Buraimoh noted that the explosion was not a result of pipeline vandalism as the area is being monitored by soldiers stationed 30 metres away.
“What we know is that there is a technical fault around the pipeline which led to the explosion. The soldiers didn’t see any vandal come close to the area. And some of the eyewitnesses that were in the area before the explosion happened said they observe that there was a gas leakage before the whole place went on fire,” he said.