Lagos State is giving priority to the Infrastructure and Works, Education and Health sectors in its 2021 Budget of Rekindled Hope.
This was disclosed by the The state Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, while presenting the budget estimated at N1.155 trillion to the House of Assembly recently.
Its 5 strategic and key sectors being allocated chunk of the budget – representing 55.5% of 2021 budget estimates.
Budget estimates of the 5 key sectors:
- Infrastructure and works: N172.24 billion (14.9%) as against N117.25 billion in Y2020 (10%). It is no surprising at all that this sector would receive topmost attention as several assets were vandalized during the hijacked #EndSARS protests in the state and very much needed to rehabilitate them, in addition to building of 250 roads in all the wards.
- Education: N143.66 billion (12.4%) as against N136.1 billion in Y2020 (11.6%). This is intended to cater for the aggressive infrastructural development of the sector, through reconstruction of schools, provision of furniture for both primary and secondary schools across the state, and equipment for science laboratories.
- Health: N118.360 billion (10.2%) as against N111.78 billion in Y2020 (9.6%). The COVID-19 pandemic exposed the poor health system of the state and needed to be given proper attention to revamp the sector with infrastructure and equipment.
- General Public Service: N108.01 billion (9.4%) as against N111.78 billion in Y2020 (23.7%). This is for the running of the affairs of the Civil Service.
- Transportation: N98.93 billion (8.6%) as against N111.78 billion in Y2020 (3.8%). This is expected as quite a number of the BRT buses were either burnt or vandalized during the #EndSARS protests in the state.
The budget amount will help to purchase new buses and repair vandalized buses, as well as repair related facilities destroyed during the protests.