Everybody knows how difficult it is to get a good-paying job in this part of the world. If you’ve been lucky enough to get a good-paying job, you must be deliberate about retaining the job.
According to a recent report by the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria’s unemployment rate as of the end of 2020 rose to 33.3% from 27.1% recorded as of Q2 2020, indicating that about 23,187,389 (23.2 million) Nigerians remain unemployed.
Many unemployed Nigerians are on the queue and are ready to grab any available job, so if you have a good job, you should do everything it takes to retain it.
Follow these tips to retain your job and not fall back into the labour market.
- Work hard and smart: To retain your job, you need to work smart and work hard at your job to prove that you are valuable.
- Be a team player: Having a good interpersonal relationship at your workplace and being a good team player would go a long way in helping you to retain your job. Always have your team’s back and contribute to every task at hand if you want to remain at your job for a long time.
- Don’t complain about your workload: There are times you will have a lot on your plate, but you should try as much as possible not to complain about your workload, especially not to your supervisor or boss, or you might be kissing your job goodbye. If you still love your job and want to retain it, don’t complain about the workload.
- Stay away from office gossip and stay on everybody’s good side: Don’t get too comfortable at your workplace and decide to get involved in office gossip. Be careful about what you discuss at the office and try to be on everybody’s good side.
- Have an excellent attitude to work: Even when it is not convenient, maintain a good and positive attitude when assigned tasks. Complaining or dragging your feet when given a task won’t speak well of you. Except you are ready to give up your job, you should refrain from doing this.
- Meet deadlines: When given a task, make sure you deliver on time. Meeting deadlines gives you good reviews at work, which would help you remain in the organization for a long time.
- Leave your personal problems out of the office: People go through different personal issues, but you should leave your issues out of the office. You should be able to differentiate between your work life and your personal life,
- Learn new skills: The world keeps evolving, and if you don’t up your game and join the trend, you might be left behind. It is important that you improve your skills and learn new skills to help you retain your job or become eligible for a promotion. Growth is crucial, and if you refuse to grow, you might be forced to give up your job.
If you’ve successfully gained a good job, you have to make conscious efforts to retain the job because there are thousands of people out there waiting to get your job. If you follow the tips discussed above religiously, you will have no problem retaining your job and getting the promotion you want.