The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has debunked rumours that its website was hacked. This was disclosed via its official Twitter handle in the early hours of today.
Explore Data on the Nairametrics Research Website
Explore Some Advanced Financial Calculators On Nairametrics
The apex bank assured the Nigerian public that there was no cause for alarm and it would do everything within its statutory power to protect its proprietary data from being breached.
CBN Website Not Hacked pic.twitter.com/nZFdabmARo
— Central Bank of Nigeria (@cenbank) October 16, 2020
The press release concluded by advising the Nigerian public to ignore such false claims, designed at undermining the credibility of the CBN.
Nigerians were shocked yesterday when the website of the CBN was temporarily off the grid, leaving many to suspect that it may have been hacked. Recall that Anonymous, an international hackers group, had earlier claimed via its Twitter handle, that it breached some Nigerian government websites.
The act is said to be in support of the ongoing #EndSARS protests that have taken over many cities in Nigeria, following calls for the disbandment of the notorious police unit – FSARS.
Just-in: #EndSARS: Hillary Clinton tells President Buhari to stop killing young protesters
Clinton has called on President Buhari and the Nigerian Army to stop the killing of young protesters in the country.
Former US Presidential Candidate, Hillary Clinton has called on President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration and the Nigerian Army to stop the killing of young protesters in the country.
The wife of former US President, Bill Clinton, said, “I’m calling on @mbuhari and the @hqnigerianarmy to stop killing young #EndSARS protesters. #StopNigeriaGovernment.”
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) October 20, 2020
Details later …
Just-in: #EndSARS: GTBank on Admiralty, Lekki allegedly on fire
A GTBank branch was allegedly set ablaze by some hoodlums that disguised as #EndSARS protesters.
#EndSARS: Lagos orders investigation of Lekki Toll Plaza shooting
The Lagos State Government has ordered an investigation into the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate.
Lagos State Government has ordered an investigation into the Lekki Toll Plaza shooting that was allegedly done by some men of the Nigerian Army on Monday evening.
This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Commission of information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, and shared via the state’s Twitter handle.
It stated, “There have been reports of shooting at the Lekki Toll Plaza, following the 24-hour curfew imposed on Lagos State to stop criminals, who hid under the #EndSARS protests to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
“The State Government has ordered an investigation into the incident.
“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish.”
According to the statement, Governor Sanwo-Olu advised Lagosians to remain calm and not allow criminals, who have hijacked the noble protest of our gallant youths, to succeed in their evil plan of turning our dear state upside down.
Omotoso assured that the Governor will do everything within his power to ensure that the lives of all Lagosians are protected at all times.
There have been reports of shooting at the Lekki Toll Plaza, following the 24-hour curfew imposed on Lagos State to stop criminals who hid under the #EndSARS protests to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.@jidesanwoolu @drobafemihamzat @gbenga_omo @gboyegaakosile #LASG pic.twitter.com/wP0dsQ3sBD
— The Lagos State Govt (@followlasg) October 20, 2020
Back story: Nairametrics had reported that the Lagos State Government announced the imposition of a 24-hour curfew in all parts of the state, with effect from 4 pm, which was later shifted to 9pm Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
This is due to the raging #ENDSARS protests and demonstrations in the state which has been hijacked by criminals and hoodlums with attacks on innocent citizens and destruction of properties.