According to the recent World Bank report, an estimated 1 billion students in developing nations may be out of school due to the looming second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.
World Bank President, David Malpass, on Wednesday, expressed concerns over the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic on school-age children in developing countries, especially with the spikes in infections currently being recorded in most nations.
In an interview on CNBC’s “Closing Bell,” Malpass said there are also educational challenges in wealthy countries like the U.S. as schools shift to virtual classes that potentially keep parents from returning to work. However, he said his worries for other nations are more pronounced.
According to the World Bank boss, “The learning goes backward. That’s a particular problem in the developing world.
“We think there are …1 billion children out of school in the developing world waiting, really, for the recovery to take hold. So, if there’s the second wave, that’s a concern.”
Malpass is not the first to sound the alarm about the detrimental impact of the pandemic on children. Last month, the United Nations warned that at least 24 million students across the world could drop out of school as a consequence of the COVID-19 outbreak.
What they are saying
According to Henrietta Fore, Executive Director of the U.N.’s Children’s Fund, “At the height of COVID-19, 192 countries shuttered schools, leaving 1.6 billion students without in-person learning. At least 24 million children are projected to drop out of school due to COVID-19.”
Furthermore, she said, “The reopening of schools has become a hot-button issue, particularly in the U.S., where President Donald Trump has pushed to reopen schools regardless of how widely the virus is spreading in the community.”
While the pandemic-induced recession has eased in wealthy countries, Malpass said that has not been an experience shared across the world.
“Apart from China, many of the developing countries are worse than had been earlier expected, so it’s this unequal process of recovery going on.”
According to Malpass, due to high-population, poor countries such as India, Ethiopia, and Nigeria are especially facing “grave challenges”. He also referenced Zambia, whose government has been requesting delays to its bond payments, even up till this week.
Explore Data on the Nairametrics News Website
According to a 10-page document that outlines guidelines to reopen and operate schools during the pandemic, jointly published by UNESCO, UNICEF, and the WHO, “It is of utmost importance that education and health work closely together to ensure that schools reopen safely as a matter of priority. When we deal with education, the decision that we make today will impact tomorrow’s world.”
FG warns Nigerians about on-going N3million COVID-19 grant scam
FG has warned Nigerians to beware of scammers using phishing links to defraud unsuspecting members of the public.
The Federal Government has issued a warning to Nigerians about an ongoing N3million COVID-19 scam in circulation.
This was disclosed by the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning via its Twitter handle.
According to the government, the scam targets Nigerians looking to benefit from the Federal Government assistance to businesses affected by COVID-19.
In the tweet, it warned about some phishing links being shared on social media, requesting for applications for N3 Million FG Grants.
It tweeted, “The general public should note that these phishing links are generated by Scammers and intended to defraud unsuspecting Nigerians.
“Government requests for applications are only via official channels & websites.
“It has come to our attention that a link is being shared via social media requesting for applications for a FG N3 Million grant.
“The general public should note that this is a SCAM. Any requests for applications are only via official channels & websites. Pls beware! #FinMinNigeria.”
It has come to our attention that a link is being shared via social media requesting for applications for a FG 3 Million grant. The general public should note that this is a SCAM. Any requests for applications are only via official channels & websites. Pls beware! #FinMinNigeria pic.twitter.com/C0Z2EcUbQF
— Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning (@FinMinNigeria) October 27, 2020
What they are saying
Okebunmi Omolaja, has tasked the Federal Government to take its warning further from the social media to other publicity tools in order to spread the information across Nigeria.
He said, “The Ministry can help by carrying the awareness campaigns to States radio stations or federal officers in each States to meet the CDA Leaders of their traditional rulers palaces/govt schools premises.”
The Ministry can help by carrying the awareness campaigns to States radio stations or federal officers in each States to meet the CDA Leaders of their traditional rulers palaces/govt schools premises.
— okebunmi omolaja (@Okebunmilajman) October 28, 2020
Explore some Advanced Financial Calculators on Nairametrics
COVID-19: Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown – Buhari
President Buhari has called on Nigerians to do all they can to avert a second wave of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
President Muhammadu Buhari said that the Nigerian economy is too fragile to go into another lockdown, as the second wave of coronavirus forces some European countries – Germany and France, to enter another phase of lockdown.
The President disclosed this in a social media statement on Thursday afternoon via his official Twitter handle.
Looking at the trends in the other countries, we must do all we can to avert a second wave of Covid-19 in Nigeria. We must make sure that our cases, which have gone down, do not rise again. Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) October 29, 2020
Buhari said Nigeria will work hard to control its local spread, as the country can’t afford a lockdown.
“Looking at the trends in other countries, we must do all we can to avert a second wave of COVID-19 in Nigeria. We must make sure that our cases, which have gone down, do not rise again. Our economy is too fragile to bear another round of lockdown,” President Buhari said.
What you should know
According to a Bloomberg report, the rising cases of COVID-19 in Europe have led to another phase of lockdowns, with the Eurozone’s 2 biggest economies, Germany and France announcing new lockdowns restrictions.
“The measures we’ve taken have turned out to be insufficient to counter a wave that’s affecting all Europe,” said French President Emmanuel Macron
In August, Nairametrics reported that President Buhari approved the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another 4 weeks.
Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in real terms declined by 6.10% (year-on-year) in Q2 2020, ending the 3-year trend of low but positive real growth rates recorded since the 2016/17 recession.
COVID-19 Update in Nigeria
On the 28th of October 2020, 147 new confirmed cases and 4 deaths were recorded in Nigeria
The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 62,371 confirmed cases.
On the 28th of October 2020, 147 new confirmed cases and 4 deaths were recorded in Nigeria, having carried out a total daily test of 3,270 samples across the country.
To date, 62,371 cases have been confirmed, 58,095 cases have been discharged and 1,139 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 617,750 tests have been carried out as of October 28th, 2020 compared to 614,480 tests a day earlier.
COVID-19 Case Updates- 28th October 2020,
- Total Number of Cases – 62,371
- Total Number Discharged – 58,095
- Total Deaths – 1,1139
- Total Tests Carried out – 617,750
According to the NCDC, the 147 new cases were reported from 12 states- Lagos (82), FCT (20), Rivers (9), Kaduna (8), Plateau (8), Benue (5), Edo (3), Kano (3), Nasarawa (3), Taraba (3), Ogun (2), Bauchi (1).
Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 21,017, followed by Abuja (6,028), Plateau (3,622), Oyo (3,433), Rivers (2,790), Edo (2,657), Kaduna (2,633), Ogun (2,016), Delta (1,813), Kano (1,746), Ondo (1,666), Enugu (1,314), Kwara (1,069), Ebonyi (1,049), Katsina (952), Osun (923), Abia (898), Gombe (883). Borno (745), and Bauchi (711).
Imo State has recorded 616 cases, Benue (491), Nasarawa (482), Bayelsa (403), Ekiti (332), Jigawa (325), Akwa Ibom (295), Anambra (277), Niger (274), Adamawa (257), Sokoto (165), Taraba (143), Kebbi (93), Cross River (87), Yobe (82), Zamfara (79), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.
Lock Down and Curfew
In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.
The movement restriction, which was extended by another two-weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.
On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.
On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.