The Federal Government is targeting over 160,000 poor rural women to disburse cash grants to in 2021, to help cushion the effects of Covid-19.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar-Faruk, during the disbursement of the cash to 6,800 women in Katsina on Wednesday.
- “We are targeting over 160,000 poor and vulnerable rural women in Nigeria for the N20,000 grant, to uplift their economic status. Our rural women with disability will also be included. It is my hope that the beneficiaries will use this opportunity to increase their income, enhance their food security and contribute toward improving their families. The N20,000, will go a long way in supporting any serious woman to start a business. What is most important is how judiciously you utilise the money.”
She added that Katsina State has received over N9.5 billion in the Conditional Cash Transfer programme under the Buhari administration.
What you should know
- Nairametrics reported in November 2020 that the Federal Government commenced the disbursement of the N20,000 special grant to women in rural areas of Gombe state.
- The FG disclosed that about 8,000 women across the 44 local Government Councils in Kano State are to benefit from the ongoing Federal Government Cash Grant for Rural Women Project.
FG signs new Sustainable Development Goals agreement with UN
The Agreement is for new development cooperation with initiatives towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals set in the UN Agenda 2030.
The Nigerian Government has signed a deal with the United Nations to develop new cooperation towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, in a statement on Thursday after the agreement was signed with the United Nations Office for Project Services, UNOPS, represented by Ifeoma Charles.
The Minister said, “On behalf of the Nigerian Government, I signed an agreement with the UNOPS represented by Ifeoma Charles Multi-Country Office Rep. The Agreement is for a new development cooperation with initiatives towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals set in the UN Agenda 2030.”
What you should know
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals are:
No Poverty; Zero Hunger, Good Health, and Well-being; Quality Education; Gender Equality; Clean Water and Sanitation; Affordable and Clean Energy; Decent Work and Economic Growth; Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure; Reducing Inequality; Sustainable Cities and Communities; Responsible Consumption and Production; Climate Action; Life Below Water; Life on Land; Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions; and Partnership for the Goals.
Newly appointed IGP unveils policing vision
The new IGP has the vision to deploy cutting-edge policing technology, integrate intelligence-led policing practices, and restoring public confidence in the Force.
The Inspector-General of Police, Ag. IGP Usman Alkali Baba, has unveiled a new policing vision as well as strategies to fight crime for the Nigeria Police Force.
The IGP disclosed this at the inaugural conference with Zonal Assistant Inspectors General of Police, Commissioners of Police and other Heads of Police Formations in Abuja on Thursday.
The IGP’s new policing vision includes:
- Deploying cutting-edge policing technology;
- Integrating intelligence-led policing practices to core policing functions, with a view to strengthening police capacity to stabilise the internal security order; and
- Restoring public confidence in the Force.
The IGP added that the aim of the new policies was to give full effect to the concept of community policing and deliver quality police service based on accountability and conformity to the rule of law.
He also revealed that he had ordered the immediate reforms of the IGP monitoring unit and disbandment of satellite offices, in a bid to reorganize Force units to operate only in the context of their original mandates.
What you should know
Nairametrics reported on April 6, 2021 that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved the appointment of DIG Usman Alkali Baba as acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP).
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
Access our Live Feed portal for the latest company earnings as they drop.
- CSCS Plc posts profit after tax of N6.93 billion in FY 2020
- BUA Cement Plc announces Board Meeting
- Infinity Trust Mortgage Bank Plc records a 60% increase in profit after tax in Q1 2021.
- Tantalizers Plc reports a loss after tax of N422.05 million in FY 2020.
- NASD Plc announces admission of newly demutualized NGX shares.