The Nigerian Customs Service (NCS), Apapa Area Command, has revealed that it made and remitted to the Federal Government of Nigeria, a total revenue of N518.046 billion for the year ended 2020.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, this was revealed by the Comptroller, Mohammed Abba-Kura, during a media briefing held in Lagos.
The 2020 revenue figures indicates a 2.33% increase when compared with the preceding figure of N423.6 billion made in 2019.
What they are saying
Commenting on the recent development, Mr. Abba-Kura, said:
- “As regards anti-smuggling and in line with the provision of extant circulars, trade guidelines and enforcement of government fiscal policy measures, the Command was able to further strengthen its anti-smuggling operations against economic saboteurs. This was done through credible intelligence-driven operations and continuous partnership with other relevant agencies for effective port management to stem their illegitimate activities.
- “Accordingly, the command made a total of 318 seizures with Duty Paid Value (DPV) of N21,196,806,637.00, and these figures almost tripled the total seizures for the year 2019, which stood at 112 with total Duty Paid value of N12.5 billion.
- “It is instructive to note that these unprecedented achievements were made possible as a result of our officers’ doggedness and tireless commitment to their duties, despite the COVID-19 pandemic ravaging economies all over the world.
- “Nonetheless, as we look forward to a prosperous and glorious year ahead, the command has taken bold initiatives to ensure the collection of appropriate revenue by creating an enabling environment for legitimate businesses to thrive.”
Mr. Abba-Kura also revealed that the Central Bank of Nigeria is working towards resolving the issue of automation and sensitizing stakeholders in using the Nigerian Export Proceeds (NEP) number.
Finally, he extended his appreciation to the Comptroller-General of Customs, retired Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali and his management team, and stakeholders in the clearance value chain, for their continuous support and encouragement
What you should know
- Nairametrics reported that NCS Apapa Area Command posted revenue of N227.3 billion for the first half of 2020 (H1, 2020).
- NCS Apapa Area Command posted total revenue of N518,046,832,016.84 for FY ended 2020, which was remitted to federation and non-federation accounts of the federal government of Nigeria.
- The unit also witnessed a boost in its export activities from 262,095 metric tons in 2019 to 1,311,365 metric tons in 2020.
- Free on Board (FOB) value for the exported items equally moved up from $132,760,512.94 million to $340,884,102.99 million within the period under review.
- The naira equivalent of the exported items at N306 per US Dollar was estimated at N104, 310,535,514.00.
- The breakdown of the 318 seized items includes; 133 containers of unregistered pharmaceuticals like tramadol, 58 containers of parboiled rice, 30 containers of vegetable oil, 31containers of used clothes and shoes, 13 containers of used tyres, and other sundry items.