The Federal Government disclosed that the ongoing reconstruction work on the Abuja-Kaduna-Kano road project has been progressing and expected the project to be completed during this administration.
This was disclosed by Engr Funso Adebiyi, the Director of Highways Construction and Rehabilitation in the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, in a visit to the project site to assess the progress of work. He said:
- “We are satisfied with the quality of work going on and we are working to increase the pace of the work. You can see that work is going on simultaneously on all sections of both lanes of the dual carriage 375km longroad from Abuja-Kaduna- Kano.”
Adebiyi revealed that the work was initially for rehabilitation but the FG has moved it to a full project reconstruction.
- “We have made a lot of progress. You can see that over 100km though not at a stretch, have been completed under section one to three (Abuja-Kano), 40km completed under section two (Kaduna-Zaria), and 70km completed under section three (Zaria-Kano).
- “Some sections of the road are also at different levels of completion, palliative/remedial work are being carried out on the sections that are critically bad to facilitate ease of passage for motorists.”
Engr. Adebiyi also added that the FG and contractors are working to meet the deadline, and at the same time, subjecting all the work to quality assurance tests for efficient service delivery.
What you should know
- The FG approved the Abuja-Kaduna-Zaria-Kano road reconstruction project to Julius Berger Nigeria Plc on 20th December 2017 and the project commenced on 21st May 2018.
- Nairametrics reported that the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, stated that the Ministry’s priority in its 2021 budget is to complete already ongoing road and bridge projects across the nation.
- Last month, the Federal Executive Council approved the total sum of N8.1 billion for the rehabilitation of roads in 10 states across the country and the FCT.