The National Bureau of Statistics has released the report on the number road crashes in Nigeria for the second quarter of 2020, which revealed that speed violation was the major cause of road transport crashes in Q2 2020.
According to the data supplied administratively by the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) but verified and validated by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), a total of 2,113 road crashes occurred in Nigeria during the review period.
READ: Over 82 million Nigerians are poor, northern states dominate list
Speed violation (988) accounted for 47% of the total road crashes reported, is the major cause of the road crashes, followed closely by wrongful overtaking (203), which accounted for 10% of the total road crashes recorded while dangerous Overtaking (2) recorded the least of the total road crashes reported.
Also, a total of 5,535 got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded. Out of this, 5,166 were adults representing 93% while the remaining 369 were children representing 7%. Furthermore, 4,393 were males, representing 79%, while the remaining 1,142 were female.
Of the total of 3,334 vehicles that were involved in the road traffic crashes, Car is reported to be the major type of vehicle involved and it accounted for 29% (958) of the total, closely followed by Motorcycle with 24% (813), minibus 15% (491), Truck 14% (462).
READ: Boeing suspends its forecast after missing earnings projection
The data on the category of the vehicles reflected that 64% of the vehicles were commercial (2,124), 35% were private (1,166) and 1% for government with 44 vehicles involved.
Out of the 6,390 number of casualties, Kaduna State leads the pack of the top 5 states with 619 from 1,084 persons involved, followed by Kwara State, which recorded 409 casualties from 660 persons involved, Ogun state recorded 408 casualties from 845 persons. Others include, Bauchi and Oyo state with 368 and 349 casualties respectively.
Leave a Reply