GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc has expanded the size of its Board of Directors with the appointment of a former director at Lafarge Africa Plc, Oludewa Adodo-Thorpe. She was appointed as a non-executive director, a role that involves policymaking and planning exercises.
The appointment was disclosed through a statement published on the website of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE). The Company was quoted on the NSE in 1977 but was incorporated in Nigeria on June 23, 1971 and commenced business on July 1, 1972. It last traded at N6.30 kobo per share on October 31, 2019.
Speaking on her appointment, the company said, “The Board is very confident that with her background, relevant experience and significant involvement in the capital market community, Mr. Adodo-Thorpe would add significant value to the quality and diversity of the Board of GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc.”
Thorpe, who also acted as a non-executive director at Lafarge Africa Plc, will resume duties at GlaxoSmithKline on December 5, 2019.
About Oludewa Adodo-Thorpe: She is a lawyer with vast experience across board, according to the statement released by GlaxoSmithKline. Details of her career growth are noted below.
- Adodo-Thorpe is a corporate and investment lawyer, who graduated with Bachelor’s degree in law with honours from the University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus and a Master’s Degree in Law, from the University of Lagos. She was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1979.
- She joined the Nigerian Industrial Development Bank Ltd, (NIDB) now Bank of Industry Limited (BOI) after her national service and rose to increasing levels of responsibility until she was appointed the Company Secretary of NIDB Trustees Ltd (BOI Trustees Ltd) before disengaging from the bank.
- She commenced active Legal Practice specializing in Secured Credit Transactions, Corporate & Commercial Law and International Business Transactions. Apart from running a Firm of Legal Practitioners, she doubles as the Chief Executive Officer of a Firm of Company Secretaries which handles the corporate meetings and compliance duties of many Companies.
- Adodo-Thorpe is currently the National Secretary of the National Coordinating Committee of the Shareholders’ Associations; the body that coordinates the activities of the seven zones of the Zonal Shareholders’ Associations. She is also a member of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Capital Market Solicitors Association and the International Bar Association (IBA). She has attended many conferences of both the IBA & NBA. She has served the Nigerian Capital Market community in various capacities.
- She is currently serving the Nigerian Capital Market community as a member of the Multiple Subscriptions Committee of the Securities and Exchange Commission. She was a Commissioner in the Delta State House of Assembly Service Commission.
- She was a member of the Statutory Audit Committee of Union Home Savings and Loans Plc, a company which used to be a subsidiary of Union Bank Plc. She is a member of the Society for Corporate Governance Nigeria and a Fellow of the Institute of Directors (IoD) Nigeria, where she was a member of many Committees.
- She was, until recently, a Non-Executive Director in Lafarge Africa Plc, where she served for nine years (September 2008 to June 2017). She was a member of Risk Management & Ethics Committee, and the Property Optimization Committee. She is an active member of the Soroptimist International, a Non-Government Organization for Professional women recognized by the United Nation, where she has served in many capacities.
- She is currently the Vice President, West and Central Africa Region, Soroptimist International Future Africa Federation. She is currently a Director on the Boards of Coastline Micro–Finance Bank Limited, where she is a member of the Credit and Risk Committees.