Connect with us
nairametrics

Around the World

Boeing CEO reacts as new 737 Max flaw threatens return date

@BoeingCEO Dennis Muilenberg, has addressed the new flaw that was detected on the @Boeing 737 Max planes which is threatening the return of the aircraft to global airspace.

Published

on

Boeing CEO addresses new issues on Boeing 737 MaxFAA pilots discovers flaw on Boeing 737 Max plane, Pilots Sue Boeing, 400 Pilot X sue Boeing for 737 Max crash, MCAS, American Airlines, Air Peace, Boeing's MCAS system, Boeing suspends forecast, Boeing miss earnings projection, Boeing first quarter revenue earnings, Ethiopian Airlines B737-Max8 aircraft crash, Air Peace, Allen Onyema, Federal Government, FAA investigation into Boeing, More worries for Boeing as US lawmakers question workers over fatal crashes 

The Chief Executive Officer of Boeing, Dennis Muilenberg, has addressed the new flaw that was detected on the company’s 737 Max planes which is threatening the return of the aircraft to global airspace.

Muilenberg stated that the company was dedicated to resolving the newly detected fault and work was ongoing on a software that would rectify the dangers of the ‘microprocessor failure’ which Nairametrics reported last week Thursday.

[READ ALSO: The nature of Nigeria’s ban on Boeing 737 Max 8]

Boeing initially had a software failure that was faulted for the crashes involving Lion Air and Ethiopian Airline which killed 346 people. The faulty software was the MCAS which causes Boeing 737 Max planes to nosedive denying pilots the control over the plane’s system.

While the company has reportedly fixed the MCAS, it is yet to receive certification for flight. The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)’s pilots identified microprocessor failure during simulator tests, which are usually carried out as a replica of a plane’s cockpit for the training of pilots.

GTBank 728 x 90
Boeing new flaw discovered on 737 Max plane, Honeywell International Inc, Boeing 737 Max order, Boeing 737 Max 8, Ethiopian Airlines crash, Lion Air crash, Airbus, The New York Times, Boeing Pilots, Countries ban Boeing, Air Peace crash, Business News Nairametrics, Ethiopian Airlines and Lion Air crash

Boeing factory in United States

About the newly discovered flaw: The new flaw has to do with the stabilization system. Failure of the microprocessor could push the nose of the plane toward the ground, a situation that could potentially cause another plane to crash. The Government pilots were unable to recover and stabilise the microprocessor in the simulators.

With rising flaws, Muilenberg has agreed that there’s need for more time to fix any possible flaws to ensure safety. The company’s 737 Max planes had been tipped to return for operation in the second half of or late 2019 but the FAA boss said the company would not rush into operation even if it takes time for the faults to be fixed.

GTBank 728 x 90

[READ ALSO: Boeing’s aim to beat rival, Airbus, led to Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes]

Muilenberg, why speaking via his twitter handle, said the company was working to reduce workload on pilots and ensure safety of the flying public as well. He said, “We must take action on this [issue], and we are already working on the required software… “It’s important we take the time necessary to make these updates.”

https://twitter.com/BoeingCEO/status/1146472005203570688

Boeing has also disclosed that until all the faults identified have been fixed to meet requirements, it won’t be tendering the 737 Max planes for FAA certification. Meanwhile, the delay of re-certification had earlier been blamed on politics between the regulators of several countries.

Olalekan is a certified media practitioner from the Nigerian Institute of Journalism (NIJ). In the era of media convergence, Olalekan is a valuable asset, with ability to curate and broadcast news. His zeal to write was developed out of passion to shape people’s thought and opinion; serving as a guideline for their daily lives. Contact for tips: [email protected]

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Around the World

US government to ban WeChat and TikTok from app stores

Chinese-owned social media apps are facing a ban in the US over national security concerns.

Published

on

US government to ban WeChat and TikTok from app stores, Reasons why a record number of people are giving up their US citizenship, US approves chloroquine as treatment for coronavirus COVID-19, Nigeria U.S. Donald Trump-oil prices

The United States government says it will ban the services of Chinese tech giants, WeChat and TikTok, from online mobile application stores in the U.S. It also plans to prohibit any funds transfer/payment services through the WeChat mobile application.

This was announced by the U.S Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross, in a statement on Friday, following President Donald Trump’s Executive Orders (E.O.) 13942 and E.O. 13943, on the 6th of August.

“In response to President Trump’s Executive Orders signed August 6, 2020, the Department of Commerce (Commerce) today announced prohibitions on transactions relating to mobile applications (apps) WeChat and TikTok to safeguard the national security of the United States,” said Wilbur Ross.

He added that the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), has proven it has the means and the motive to use Chinese tech apps, to threaten America’s national security foreign policy, and the economy of the U.S.

He said the following transactions will be prohibited from September 20th for WeChat and November 12th for TikTok

GTBank 728 x 90
  • Any provision of service to distribute or maintain the WeChat or TikTok mobile applications, constituent code, or application updates, through an online mobile application store in the U.S.
  • Any provision of services through the WeChat mobile application, for the purpose of transferring funds or processing payments within the U.S.

Mr. Ross said that with the Executive Order, the US government has taken a ‘significant action’ in fighting China’s malicious personal data breach on American citizens, and also promote democratic rule-based norms, and aggressive enforcement of U.S. laws and regulations.

The U.S government announced that further prohibitive measures, relating to both companies may be announced in the future.

“Should the U.S. Government determine that WeChat’s or TikTok’s illicit behavior is being replicated by another app somehow outside the scope of these executive orders, the President has the authority to consider whether additional orders may be appropriate to address such activities.”

GTBank 728 x 90

President Trump has given until November 12, to resolve the TikTok security concerns of the US. He added that the prohibitions may be lifted, if they are addressed.

Continue Reading

Around the World

WTO: Okonjo-Iweala still in contention as 3 candidates depart race for DG

Okonjo-Iweala and the remaining 4 other candidates hope to succeed the current DG, Mr Roberto Azevêdo.

Published

on

Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, World Bank, Davos, World Economic Forum, WTO accepts nomination of Okonjo-Iweala as DG despite opposition from Egypt

Three candidates running for the post of the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation have fallen out of the race after failing to secure enough votes in the first rounds of voting, leaving only 5 candidates left, including Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

This was disclosed by Bloomberg on Thursday, before the meeting on Friday. The Candidates that are out of the race are Jesus Seade (Mexico), Tudor Ulianovschi (Moldova), and Hamid Mamdouh (Egypt). The candidates were not able to secure the support needed for the first round of 3 rounds of voting.

READ: China’s Covid-19 vaccine may be ready for general public in November 2020

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweal joins 4 other candidates for the next round of voting. The candidates are; Liam Fox (UK), Amina Chawahir Mohamed Jibril (Kenya), Yoo Myung-hee ( South Korea), and Mohammad Maziad Al-Tuwaijri ( Saudi Arabia).

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala disclosed last month some of her plans for the Organization if made President. Nairametrics reported she noted that part of her vision is to build a trade institution where there is greater trust among its members. She also stressed that the WTO, at this critical time, is needed to ensure that trade and global markets remain open.

GTBank 728 x 90

READ: Soybean Futures reach 2-year high, following U.S sales to China 

On healing the rift between the US and China, Okonjo-Iweala admitted that it is going to be challenging and not be easy. She said:

Well, this is not going to be easy, if it was easy, it could have been done a long time since. So it would be very challenging but it is not an impossible job. It is very clear that both the US and China have been helped and benefitted from the multilateral trading system in the past. Hundreds of millions have been lifted out of poverty. They have experienced shared prosperity in the economies and their countries.’

GTBank 728 x 90

She added she would listen to both countries to find out what really are the issues causing distrust among them. She said that she will not want to be involved in the larger political problems, but will rather separate the trade issues and focus on them and build this trust.

READ: Amaechi pleads with NASS to halt questioning of loan agreement with China

You need to begin to find areas where there can be confidence-building and trade. Building trust is not talking about it, you have to have areas where both can work together and agree and we have a golden opportunity in the fisheries subsidies negotiations that are going on now because the US is a party to it, China is a party, the EU, all other members,’’ she said.

Okonjo-Iweala and the 4 other candidates will present themselves to the members of the global trade body for the later stages of voting in the hopes of securing the highest number of votes to succeed the current DG, Mr. Roberto Azevêdo.

Continue Reading

Around the World

WTO: Selection of new DG might be tied to the upcoming US presidential election

The eventual winner could be dependent on the outcome of the November 3 US Presidential elections.

Published

on

Global fight against covid-19 at risk over export restrictions - WTO
There has been a growing interest in the heavily lobbied Director-General, World Trade Organization role, following the stepping down of Roberto Azevedo on August 31. For the first time ever, two African women – Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo Iweala and Kenya’s Amina Mohammed, have a real chance at emerging as the first female leader of the embattled multilateral organization, in its 25 years history.
However, beyond their impressive resumes as a criterion for appointment, the eventual winner of the top job is expected to be dependent on the outcome of the November 3 US Presidential elections, keenly contested by Republican incumbent Donald Trump, and Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

The WTO’s effort to select a new leader entered a new stage this week, as the ambassadors from 164-member countries met for private consultations, on who they would support.

Six former WTO officials and trade experts revealed that the politicking in Geneva, Switzerland – WTO headquarters, could be a wild goose chase, as the decisive developments that will shape the future of the embattled global trade organization, are unfolding miles away in Washington, ahead of the November 3 presidential elections.

Although, the support of a particular candidate by the United States is critical; 4 trade experts, including former WTO employees, believe that the Trump administration is unlikely to breathe life into a multilateral body that he once threatened to leave. Donald Trump launched a trade war with China, repeatedly imposed tariffs on US allies, and destroyed WTO’s ability to intervene in disputes, by blocking the appointment of members to its Appellate Body.

David Tinline, a former adviser to Azevedo said, “I find it hard to imagine that the Trump administration would shift tack and do something very positive for the system.’

READ: Women entrepreneurs in Africa get $251 million support from G7 leaders

GTBank 728 x 90

The US Trade Representative (USTR), Robert Lighthizer, had in June told US lawmakers that, “the WTO needed a reform-driven leader and that he would veto any candidate who showed any whiff of anti-Americanism.”

The former WTO officials and trade experts said that the US-China economic conflict is a further divisive factor, as both countries will likely reject any candidate backed by the other.

The 8 candidates in contention for the top job, are expected to be trimmed down to 5 after the first confessional meetings on September 16. This will be further cut down to 2, and the final decision designed to be taken by convention before the November 7 deadline – just four days after the US elections.

GTBank 728 x 90

READ: Where next for oil prices?

Aside from the two influential African women vying for the role, Liam Fox, Britain’s former Trade Secretary, is a force to reckon with. If a favorite candidate does not emerge, some WTO members might prefer to wait until after the US election in case Joe Biden wins the US presidential election; especially, as Voting, seen as a last resort, has never occurred in WTO’s history.

A former member of WTO, Peter Van Den Bossche said, “They could play a waiting game, but that would push the decision until at least February or March 2021.”

Even though WTO is member-led, a strong leader who can facilitate decision making, and galvanize its 164 member nations, is crucial to reviving a severely embattled global organization.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ikeja electric
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
FCMB ads
Advertisement
Advertisement
IZIKJON
Advertisement
Fidelity ads
Advertisement
first bank
Advertisement
bitad
Advertisement
deals book
Advertisement
financial calculator
Advertisement
deals book
Advertisement
app
Advertisement