Yesterday, news went round that the Nigerian Government has joined the list of countries banning the Boeing 737 Max 8 jets.
According to the reports, Nigeria’s Minister of State for Aviation, Mr Hadi Sirika, made the Government’s decision known in Abuja, yesterday, at the end of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting.
The Minister said the Government’s decision was as a result of the recent crashing of Ethiopian Airlines flight 302, which killed all 157 people on board, Sunday.
Need to clarify the somewhat “confusing” ban reports
The report, as attributed to the Minister, was a little confusing. This is because the same Minister had earlier, on Tuesday, implied in a tweet that there was no need to ban the jets. In his words, “we do not have any Boeing 737 Max on Nigeria’s register to worry about.”
As we continue to mourn the ET crash in Addis, and pray for the victims, we wish to reassure Nigerians that we do not have any Boeing 737 Max on Nigeria’s register to worry about. Civil Aviation Authority has issued the needed advisory, please.🤲🏽🤲🏽🤲🏽🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
— Hadi Sirika (@hadisirika) March 12, 2019
So, what exactly is the nature of the ban?
From the foregoing, it can be seen that Nigeria did not ban Boeing 737 Max 8 per se, at least not in the same way other countries around the world have banned the jets.
Instead, the Nigerian Government’s position is that no airlines are allowed to fly within the country’s airspace with the controversial Boeing 737 Max 8 jets.
“We have issued directives that no operators with 737 (8) or (9) should operate into or out of our airports.”- Sirika
Meanwhile, the NCAA earlier told Nigerians to stay calm
Earlier on Tuesday, the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) issued a statement aimed at reassuring Nigerian airline travellers about their safety.
Some part of the statement also clarified that the Boeing 737 Max 8 planes do not currently operate in the country.
“The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has assured the flying public of their safety, stating that there is no cause for alarm. Presently, the accident aircraft type, Boeing 737 – Max 8 is not in operation in the Country.
However, the Authority, in line with its Safety Oversight mandate enshrined in the Civil Aviation Act 2006, is consciously monitoring the development (s) with a view to take the necessary steps that will enhance the safety of all aircraft in operation within the Nigerian airspace.”
On Air Peace’ impending partnership with Boeing
Nairametrics understands that Air Peace do not currently have the Boeing 737 Max 8 jets in its fleet. However, the company does have a standing partnership with the American jet manufacturer, which would eventually see it take delivery of some Boeing 737 Max jets.
In reaction to stakeholders’ safety concerns following Sunday’s crash in Ethiopia, Air Peace has stated that it has no intention to cancel the order the it made earlier last year.
COVID-19 Update in Nigeria
On the 30th of September 2020, 201 new confirmed cases and 1 death was recorded in Nigeria
The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 58,848 confirmed cases.
On the 30th of September 2020, 201 new confirmed cases and 1 death was recorded in Nigeria, having carried out a total daily test of 2,549 samples across the country.
To date, 58,848 cases have been confirmed, 50,358 cases have been discharged and 1,112 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 509,555 tests have been carried out as of September 30th, 2020 compared to 507,006 tests a day earlier.
COVID-19 Case Updates- 30th September 2020,
- Total Number of Cases – 58,848
- Total Number Discharged – 50,358
- Total Deaths – 1,112
- Total Tests Carried out – 509,555
According to the NCDC, the 201 new cases were reported from 13 states- Lagos (77), Rivers (37), Plateau (25), FCT (13), Kaduna (12), Ogun (12), Adamawa (8), Taraba (7), Imo (4), Kwara (2), Osun (2), Abia (1), Oyo (1).
Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 19,461, followed by Abuja (5,709), Plateau (3,450), Oyo (3,261), Edo (2,626), Rivers (2,432), Kaduna (2,419), Ogun (1,850), Delta (1,802), Kano (1,737), Ondo (1,631), Enugu (1,289), Ebonyi (1,040), Kwara (1,036), Abia (895), Gombe (883). Katsina (861), Osun (839), Borno (745), and Bauchi (699).
Imo State has recorded 572 cases, Benue (481), Nasarawa (450), Bayelsa (399), Jigawa (325), Ekiti (321), Akwa Ibom (288), Niger (259), Adamawa (248), Anambra (237), Sokoto (162), Taraba (102), Kebbi (93), Cross River (87), Zamfara (78), Yobe (76), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.
Lock Down and Curfew
In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.
The movement restriction, which was extended by another two-weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.
On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.
On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.
Lagos cancels parade, opts for a low-key celebration of Independence Day
Due to the threat of the novel coronavirus, the Lagos state government has said it would observe a low-key celebration.
Lagos State government has opted for a low-key celebration of the 60th independence anniversary of the nation. This decision is due to the ravaging effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is still with us.
This statement was made by the Government of Lagos State today, via its official Twitter account.
The Lagos State Government has opted for a low key celebration of the 60th Independence Anniversary due to the ravaging effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which is still with us.@jidesanwoolu @drobafemihamzat @gbenga_omo @gboyegaakosile @Mr_JAGss #LASG #ForAGreaterLagos pic.twitter.com/xDzMGWig7w
— The Lagos State Govt (@followlasg) September 30, 2020
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has directed that the planned Independence Day Parade at the Agege Stadium by 9 a.m and other activities that involve the gathering of more than 50 people should be canceled.
He congratulates Lagosians on this auspicious occasion and strongly advises that they should celebrate quietly at home and pray for the country. He asked that they should also observe the COVID-19 protocols, including wearing of face masks to protect themselves and their loved ones.
The Governor urges Lagosians not to let down their guards on COVID-19 so as not to reverse the gains that the state has made in fighting the disease.
The governor congratulates Lagosians on the auspicious occasion and strongly advises that they should celebrate quietly at home and pray for the country. They should also observe the COVID-19 protocols, including wearing of face masks to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Lagos takes major step towards delivery of Fourth Mainland Bridge
The Governor revealed that the proposed bridge has been well integrated into the overall Lagos Master Plan.
The Lagos State Government has taken a major step towards the realization of the Fourth Mainland Bridge by the hosting of the first stakeholders meeting on Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the construction and launch of the Bridge’s logo.
Speaking at the meeting, the Lagos State Governor Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu, who was represented by his Deputy, Dr Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, described the event as a significant one in the joint effort to change the narrative of the socio-economic development of the State, through the provision of critical infrastructure for sustainable prosperity.
The Governor revealed that the proposed Fourth Mainland Bridge has been well integrated into the overall Lagos Master Plan in relation to transportation infrastructure, adding that the project allows for the first time, direct access from the large suburb of Ikorodu to the Island and the Lekki Free Trade Zone area.
Sanwo-Olu disclosed that the state government reactivated the construction of the bridge in October 2019 with the development of a 6 step process that will lead to the selection of a suitable concessionaire in line with global best practices. He noted that the present administration has left no stone unturned in ensuring that the strategic project becomes a reality.
The Governor emphasized that the stakeholder-engagement and consultation on Environmental and Social Impact Assessment was a precursor to the third step, which will involve issuing a Request for Proposal to the six consortia for the presentation of their respective financial proposals and methodologies for carrying out the project.
According to him, “The stakeholders’ meeting was organised to open the project to further inputs, comments, ideas and observations for incorporation into the ongoing social and environmental impact assessment. We hope the meeting would boost the acceptability and implementation ratings of the 4th Mainland Bridge in line with global best practices”.
In her welcome address, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Aramide Adeyoye stated that the meeting was another bold step by the present administration towards ensuring the buy-in of Lagosians into the government project and another fulfilment of the promise of Mr Governor to adopt inclusiveness as a tool for governance.
While giving assurances of his unalloyed support towards the project, the Minister for Works and Housing and former Governor of the State, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola, represented by Dr Adetunji Adeoye, commended Lagos for the construction of the Fourth Mainland Bridge, adding that the construction will create a lot of activities and job opportunities for residents.
The Minister of State for the Environment, represented by Mrs Oluwatoyin Agbenla, described the Fourth Mainland Bridge as an endearing project to the citizens, which will be executed with the highest levels of environmental sustainability.
Nairametrics, last month, reported that the Lagos State Government has shortlisted 6 companies for the design, development, construction, operation, and maintenance of the Fourth Mainland Bridge. This followed the government’s issuance of a Request for Qualification (RFQ) in February this year. The 6 companies were said to have completed the technical and financial capacity requirements.
Lagos State said it will announce the selection of the next stage in due course, even as the RFQ will be given to the pre-qualified bidders.
The Fourth Mainland Bridge is a 37.4km freeway subdivided into three sections namely Island Section, Lagoon Section and Mainland Section. It will commence from Abraham Adesanya Roundabout in Lekki through Ajah and Langbasa areas, crossing the Ado Badore Road before arriving at the Lagoon shoreline.
The road crosses the Lagoon via a 4.5km Lagoon Bridge landing between Bayeku and Ijede villages, passing through Ikorodu-Epe expressway to further link Isawo Road and from there to Lagos/Ibadan Expressway.
A major step towards the realisation of the Fourth Mainland Bridge was, today, taken by the State Government with the first stakeholders meeting on Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the construction and launch of the Bridge’s logo.@jidesanwoolu#ForAGreaterLagos pic.twitter.com/E4XPivJOxd
— The Lagos State Govt (@followlasg) September 29, 2020