Connect with us
nairametrics
UBA ads

Business News

The 4th Mainland bridge contract has been terminated, here’s why

A very rare occurence

Published

on

Nairametrics| The Lagos State Government has announced the termination of the contract for the construction of the 4th Mainland bridge, Cable reports. The termination, which was announced on Monday during the 2017 ministerial press briefing of the Ministry of Waterfront Development in Alausa to commemorate governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s second year in office, means that the project goes back to ground zero.

As to why the contract, which is one of the flagship projects of Governor Ambode’s government, was terminated, the Commissioner for Waterfront Development, Adebowale Akinsanya, said that the slow pace of the contractors was not in line with the vision of the government. “The pace the old contractors were moving is not what we are looking for,” he said. Thus, it is reasonable to conclude that while the Lagos State Government has fulfilled its part of the contractual agreement to date, the contractor has not.

UBA ADS

The 36-kilometer bridge, which is expected to cost around N844 billion will however not be abandoned as the Commissioner said that the state government is already scouting for suitable replacements. According to him, interest in the project from contractors in Asia, Europe and the United States was already high. “The state government has started the proposals. We have such investors from South Korea, Europe and the United States, among few others. What we are doing now is vetting the proposals. We do not want to waste any further time. So works are in top progress on the 4th Mainland Bridge.” Vanguard quotes Akinsanya as saying

 

GTBank 728 x 90
Patricia

Chacha Wabara-Ogbobine is a Legal practitioner with over 9years post call experience. A research Consultant, professional writer and a blogger at heart,owner of four thriving websites with well over 10years of experience. Totally in love with keeping fit and coaching weight loss enthusiasts. I love my quiet time, being with my kids, watching TV series for hours on end.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Coronavirus

Nigerian Governors who have tested positive for Coronavirus 

Six Nigerian governors have contracted the novel coronavirus, but some have recovered.

Published

on

On Saturday, July 4, Ebonyi State Governor, David Umahi announced that he had tested positive for COVID-19. This makes him the 6th Governor to have tested positive for the virus that has infected over 11 million and killed no less than 532,000 people globally. 

Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State

UBA ADS

Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El- Rufai was the first governor confirmed to have been infected and recovered in April. 

Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State

Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, was also infected in March and was reported to have recovered on the 9th of April. 

GTBank 728 x 90

Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, announced that he tested positive on 30th, March, 2020 and his recovery was reported on the 5th of April. 

Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State

onebank728 x 90

Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu, tested positive last week on June 30th and Delta’s Ifeanyi Okowa announced that he and his wife had tested positive on July 1. 

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State

Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta State

app
GTBank 728 x 90

So far, the governors who have tested positive for COVID-19 are:    

1. Nasir el-Rufai

2. Bala Mohammed

3. Seyi Makinde

4. Rotimi Akeredolu

app

5. Ifeanyi Okowa

6. David Umahi

 

Earlier this weekend, Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom announced that his wife, Mrs. Eunice Ortom, their son, and some of the wife’s aides had tested positive for COVID-19.

With Nigeria and the rest of the world still battling to contain the dreaded virus, the total number of confirmed cases has risen to 28,167 from 148,188 tests carried out as at Saturday, July 4, 2020. In addition, while 11,462 have recovered, 634 persons have died.

 

Patricia
Continue Reading

Energy

BUA cement to build power and cement plants in Adamawa state

BUA Cement’s newest plant in Sokoto is expected to be operational in 2021.

Published

on

NPA Decommissioning of Port Harcourt Terminal: We'll vigorously defend, protect our rights - BUA Group, NPA and BUA Group dispute to affect 1000 jobs, $500,000 monthly revenue, Terminal closure: BUA clears air on NPA’s claims , Forbes 2020 world’s richest rankings released: Only 4 Nigerians make exclusive billionaires list

BUA Cement has announced plans to build a 50 megawatts power plant and 3 million metric tonnes cement plant in Lamurde and Guyuk local governments in Adamawa States.

BUA Cement which is Nigeria’s second-largest cement producer by volume with plants in Sokoto and Edo States, with the projects wants the boost the country’s power supply and increase the local production capacity for cement.

UBA ADS

This was disclosed by the Chairman of BUA Cement, Abdul Samad Rabiu, in a press statement on Sunday, July 5, 2020, in Lagos.

The BUA Cement Chairman who led the company’s management team on a courtesy visit to the Adamawa State Governor, Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri, after preliminary findings showed that Guyuk and Lamurde areas had quality limestone.

According to Rabiu, “Preliminary findings show that the two local governments of Guyuk and Lamurde are reputed to have good quality limestone deposits and BUA Cement is ready to begin the investment in the state.

GTBank 728 x 90

“BUA will use new technologies to supply power to the proposed cement plant and communities of Guyuk and Lamurde in addition to providing three thousand direct and five thousand indirect jobs.

“Guyuk Cement Plant will be a major investment in the North-East by BUA, while we solicit the support of Gov. Umaru Fintiri to set up the factory in Guyuk.”

READ MORE: 10 fantastic things Aliko Dangote has done in the last 10 years

onebank728 x 90

He added that while the company has invested billions of dollars in various sectors across Nigeria, it has taken a decision to source its raw materials locally and therefore urged the Adamawa state government to support BUA to actualize the GUYUK Cement project.

The Adamawa State Governor, Ahmadu Fintiri, in his response assured the Chairman and management team of BUA, that the state government would provide all the necessary support and make available whatever was needed to make the projects a reality.

BUA Cement’s newest plant in Sokoto is expected to be operational in 2021 and expects that its total production capacity will get to 14 million metric tonnes of cement per annum upon the completion of Guyuk Cement Plant.

app
GTBank 728 x 90

BUA Cement has been having a running battle with Dangote Cement over the ownership of 3 mining sites in Obu and Okpella in Edo State. The mining sites have been subject of legal tussle between the 2 biggest cement companies in the country.

 

Patricia
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

GSK, Sanofi to agree $624 million deal with UK for COVID-19 vaccine

Both GSK and Sanofi said that they are placing more priority on quality rather than speed.

Published

on

GSK, Sanofi to agree $624 million deal with UK for covid-19 vaccine

British and French pharmaceutical giants, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Sanofi are close to reaching a $624 million (500 million pounds) deal with the United Kingdom (UK) government for the supply of 60 million doses of coronavirus vaccine as many countries move for possible COVID-19 treatments.

Reports suggest that the UK was considering an option to buy the vaccine should the human trials, which are due to commence in September 2020, turn out successful.

UBA ADS

The funds would be paid in stages as the vaccine progresses, with the final payment made on delivery.

In order not to be left behind, the UK government has been engaging a wide range of companies both at home and abroad to negotiate access to vaccines. They said that the right announcements of these arrangements will be made as and when agreements with any of these companies are finalized.

The British business ministry’s spokeswoman, who confirmed that the ministry is handling Britain’s supply of potential COVID-19 vaccines, said talks were going on with different parties about access to possible vaccines but didn’t confirm if GSK/Sanofi project was one of them.

GTBank 728 x 90

READ MORE: Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine shows positive results

According to the ministry official, ‘’The Government’s Vaccines Task Force is actively engaging with a wide range of companies both in the UK and abroad to negotiate access to vaccines.”

“Appropriate announcements of these arrangements will be made as and when agreements with any of these companies are finalized and signed.

onebank728 x 90

Sanofi is presently working on 2 possible COVID-19 vaccines, one of which uses an adjuvant made by GSK to potentially boost its efficacy. The timeline for its clinical trials is behind the likes of Moderna Inc, the University of Oxford in collaboration with AstraZeneca Plc and an alliance of BioNTech and Pfizer Inc, whose projects all made headlines by moving to human trials as early as March.

Both GSK and Sanofi said that they are placing more priority on quality rather than speed in developing a vaccine.

 

app
GTBank 728 x 90

Patricia
Continue Reading