- The United States Trade and Development Agency(USTDA) on Thursday in Lagos announced a grant of 997.4 million dollars (about N251.3 billion) as training support for the proposed refinery by the Dangote Group.
- The grant was announced at the signing of a Memoradum of Understanding (MoU) between Dangote Group and the USTDA.
- NAN reports that Dangote Group had in May declared that the proposed refinery would begin operation in the first quarter of 2018 with an investment of about 9 billion dollars.
- Ms Enoh Ebong, USTDA’s Deputy Director, said the agency was pleased to support the Dangote Oil Refining Company’s efforts to increase Nigeria’s oil refining capacity.
- She said it was a “sign of deepening the United States’ long history of support for vital infrastructure in Nigeria.’’
“Since 1981, the USTDA has been operating in Nigeria with primary concerns in the area of oil and energy, and we are glad to continue in that line with what we are doing today,” she said.
- Mr Aliko Dangote, the Chairman, Dangote Group, lauded USTDA for its assistance toward the takeoff of the refinery.
- He said the aspect of training and capacity development was vital to the success of the project.