The All-Share Index (ASI) of Nigeria’s stock market has advanced by 4.95% from 40,270.72 to 42,262.85 points, from the beginning of 2021 to date.
We have seen a total of 69 stocks post year-to-date gains while another 57 posted losses all year round and the rest flat with no gains or losses. About 51 stocks posted double-digit growth as of Xmas day. This time last year we had about 60 stocks posting gains and another 67 stocks posting losses by Xmas day. However, the All-Share Index was approaching 50% YTD gains.
Why this matters? Well, Xmas is also the season of enjoying the rewards of hard work, and as a retail investor, you want to appreciate the stocks that have posted significant gains by Xmas.
The top 10 best-performing stocks as of Christmas day 2021 (in ascending order)
- REGENCY ASSURANCE PLC +95%
- GUINNESS NIG PLC +105%
- UNITED CAPITAL PLC +110%
- CONSOLIDATED HALLMARK INSURANCE PLC +119%
- UNIVERSITY PRESS PLC. +130%
- CHAMPION BREW. PLC. +184%
- HONEYWELL FLOUR MILL PLC +188%
- VITAFOAM NIG PLC. +188%
- ROYAL EXCHANGE PLC. +196%
- MORISON INDUSTRIES PLC. +286%
The top 10 Worst Performing stocks as of Christmas day 2021 (in ascending order)
- S C O A NIG. PLC. –64.5%
- CWG PLC –55.9%
- SUNU ASSURANCES NIGERIA PLC. –55.0%
- STANBIC IBTC ETF 30 -42.2%
- JAPAUL GOLD & VENTURES PLC -40.3%
- FTN COCOA PROCESSORS PLC -39.4%
- AIICO INSURANCE PLC. -37.2%
- GREIF NIGERIA PLC -33.5%
- DAAR COMMUNICATIONS PLC -33.3%
- STERLING BANK PLC. -28.9%
Stocks Worth Over One Trillion Naira (SWOOTs)
- AIRTEL AFRICA PLC – 12%
- DANGOTE CEMENT PLC – 5%
- MTN NIGERIA COMMUNICATIONS PLC – 8%
- NESTLE NIGERIA PLC. -6%
- BUA CEMENT PLC -4%
Note: This article was updated as we removed stocks that embarked on a share reconstruction. Thanks for the feedback from our reader, Ukwuegbu, Chijioke Anthony for the corrections.