Stocks took a drive on Monday with Nasdaq plunging (-0.98%) at the end of the trading session. The S&P 500 decreased by (-0.53%) and the Dow made a gain of (-0.36%). After a Tesla vehicle suspected to be without a driver crashed into a tree north of Houston on Saturday, killing two passengers, the electric-car maker’s stock fell 3.4%.
The stock had the greatest negative impact on the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite Indexes. Tesla’s stock price was weighted down by an 8.4% plunge in bitcoin over the weekend, in which it has a stake.
The yield on 10-year Treasuries was at 1.58%, after falling six base points in the U.S. trading session.
- The stock of GameStop Corp soared 6.3% after the announcement of its CEO’s resignation.
- Nvidia’s stock fell 3.5% after the UK government announced it would investigate the national security ramifications of Nvidia’s $40 billion acquisition of British chip designer ARM Holdings, creating doubts about the transaction.
- Harley-Davidson up 9.68% to close at $44.29
- Albemarle up 3.60% to close at $157.50
- Morgan Stanley up 1.83% to close at $80.03
- Charles Schwab up 1.76% to close at $65.88
- Bank of NY Mellon up 1.61% to close at $46.81
- Altria down -6.17% to close at $49.08
- Arconic down -6.07% to close at $26.02
- Synopsys down -3.88% to close at $250.64
- Cadence Design down -3.61% to close at $141.94
- Broadcom down -3.51% to close at $462.00
- As bitcoin suffered a beating over the weekend, crypto stocks like Riot Blockchain and Marathon Digital both fell more than 8%. Bitcoin was down 0.7% at the time of writing.
- Speculators are expecting a recovery as the market opens today.
- Nairametrics, however, advises cautious buying in this era of growing uncertainties.