The Federal Government has revealed that the Kano-Maradi rail would be completed in 36 months and hopes that the 283km railway will also be used for the development of freight and passenger transport, and be integrated with road transport.
This was disclosed by the media aide to the President, Bashir Ahmad, after the FG signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Mota-Engil Group on the construction of $1.959 billion dollars Kano-Maradi Standard Gauge Railway lines.
- “The new (Kano–Maradi) railway corridor will run through Kano, Jigawa and Katsina and through Niger Republic territory as far as Maradi. Towns like Danbatta (Kano), Kazaure (Jigawa), and Daura, Mashi, Jibia (Katsina) will also be affected by the new rail line in Nigeria.”
He added that the Ministry of Transport had disclosed that the projects would be completed in 36 months.
- “According to the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, the duration for the Kano Maradi Rail project is 36 months and the contract type is Engineering, Procurement and Construction.”
What you should know
- Nairametrics reported in September 2020 that the Federal Executive Council approved the disbursement of $1.96 billion for the railway line from Kano in Nigeria to Maradi in Niger Republic.
- The President will also commission the Warri-Itakpe standard gauge rail line, running through Kogi, Edo and Delta States.
- On Monday, the Federal Government announced the signing of the contract documents for the commencement of the Kano-Maradi, Kano-Dutse railway project.