The Kano-Maradi rail is expected to reach a substantial completion in 2023 when it will be ready to take passenger and freight daily traffic of about 9,364 people and 3,000 metric tons of freight on return trips.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, in a statement shared by the Federal Government on Tuesday.
They tweeted, “KanoMaradiRail will reach a substantial completion in year 2023 when it will be ready to handle passenger and freight daily traffic forecast of 9,364 passengers and approximately 3,000 metric tons of freight on return trips between Kano and Maradi.
“There is no doubt that this #KanoMaradiRail route when linked with the ongoing #LagosKanoRail project on completion, will generate higher traffic volumes and revenue.”
The Minister explained that the entire network of the project has 15 railway stations of different categories with major stations of approximately 3,000 peak passenger capacity in cities of Kano & Katsina and stations of standard category in Kazaure, Daura, Jibiya & Dutse.
“… and minor stations in Dambatta, Shargelle and Mashi as well as halt stations in Kunya, Kano airport, Muduru, Dadara and in Niger Republic at Annol Mata and Maradi,” he added.
“#KanoMaradiRail will reach a substantial completion in year 2023 when it will be ready to handle passenger and freight daily traffic forecast of 9,364 passengers and approximately 3,000 metric tons of freight on return trips between Kano and Maradi.” — HM @ChibuikeAmaechi
— Government of Nigeria (@NigeriaGov) February 9, 2021
What you should know
- President Muhammadu Buhari had performed the groundbreaking ceremony of the Kano-Maradi, Kano-Dutse Railway Project earlier on Tuesday.
- This followed the approval of about $2 billion by the Federal Executive Council in September 2020, for the rail line and the subsequent signing of the contract documents for the commencement of the project last month.
- The railway project is expected to connect 3 Nigerian Northern states namely Kano, Katsina and Jigawa and then terminate at Maradi, Niger Republic.
School kidnappings: Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers – Buhari
The President has assured Nigerians that the military and the police will continue to go after kidnappers.
President Muhammadu Buhari stated that the Federal Government is working hard to bring an end to the recent incident of mass school kidnappings in Northwestern Nigeria and urges the Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers.
The President disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday morning , reacting to news of the release of schoolgirls kidnapped in Zamfara State.
“I join the affected families and the people of Zamfara State in welcoming and celebrating the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe.
“This news bring overwhelming joy. I am pleased that their ordeal has come to a happy end without any incident,” Buhari said.
Buhari added that the FG needs the support of local communities to bring an end to school kidnappings by terrorists, and urges the authorities to keep going after them.
“We are working hard to bring an end to these grim and heartbreaking incidents of kidnapping. The Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers. They need the support of local communities in terms of human intelligence that can help nip criminal plans in the bud,” he said.
What you should know
- Nairametrics reported today that The Governor of Zamfara State, Dr. Bello Matawalle stated the kidnapped schoolgirls of the Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, have been released after being kidnapped last week.
US supports appointment of new service chiefs, affirms close ties with Nigeria
The US Government has endorsed President Buhari’s appointment of ex-military service chiefs.
The United States Government has expressed its support for the recent appointment of military service chiefs by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The new appointments are expected to bring new approaches to combating terrorism in the northeast and provide national security across the country.
According to a statement signed by the spokesperson for the US Department of States, Ned Price, this disclosure was made by the new US Secretary of State, Antony J. Blinken, during a phone call conversation with Nigeria’s Minister for Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on Monday, March 1, 2021.
He also acknowledged the threats that violent extremists posed to Nigeria and regional security as a whole.
While highlighting the importance that the United States placed on its relationship with Nigeria, Secretary Blinken outlined a holistic approach to the US-Nigeria partnership based on their shared values of democracy, respect for human rights and robust people-to-people relations.
The statement said that as part of efforts to ensure a good relationship with Nigeria, Blinken referred to President Biden’s revocation of immigrant visa restrictions on Nigeria as an affirmation of the close ties between Americans and Nigerians.
He also reiterated the support of the United States for Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala as the new Director-General of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Talking about the conversation with his US counterpart, Geoffrey Onyema expressed his delight at the discussion which covered a broad range of bilateral and multilateral issues.
He said, “Very glad to re-engage, through a very nice phone call with US Secretary of State, Secretary Blinken. We covered a broad range of bilateral and multilateral issues and look forward to increased cooperation.”
On his part, Secretary Blinken said, “Delighted to speak with Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyema. We deeply value our bilateral relationship with Nigeria and look forward to rejuvenating our partnership based on shared values of democracy, respect for human rights, and robust people-to-people relations.”
What this means
This appears to be a renewed partnership and bilateral relationship between the United States and Nigeria, which seemed to have suffered some setbacks during the Trump administration.
This was clearly evident in visa restrictions on Nigeria and the refusal of the last US administration to support the confirmation of Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the Director-General of the WTO despite the unanimous support of member states.
Very glad to re-engage, through a very nice phonecall, with US Secretary of State, @SecBlinken. We covered a broad range of bilateral and multilateral issues and look forward to increased cooperation. 🇳🇬🇺🇸 @USinNigeria @StateDept
— Geoffrey Onyeama (@GeoffreyOnyeama) March 1, 2021
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
- Custodian Investment Plc posts N12.69 billion profit in FY 2020.
- 2020 FY Results: Nestle posts N39.2 billion, as earnings per share prints N49.47
Nestle Nigeria Plc released its audited […]
- 2020 FY: WEMA Bank posts N5.06 billion profit after tax as earnings per share prints at N13.1.
Wema Bank Plc released […]
- 2020 FY: Zenith Bank post N230.6 billion profit after tax
Zenith Bank Plc released its […]
- Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc boosts post tax profits by 25.9%
Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc released […]