The Nigerian Stock Exchange ended the week cumulatively on an impressive note. The NSE All-Share Index and Market Capitalization both appreciated by 0.09% to close the week at 25,221.87 and N13.158 trillion respectively.
A total turnover of 950.414 million shares worth N10.123 billion in 16,647 deals was traded this week by investors on the floor of the Exchange, in contrast to a total of 1.327 billion shares valued at N13.934 billion that exchanged hands last week in 19,392 deals.
The Financial Services industry (measured by volume) led the activity chart with 624.278 million shares valued at N6.181 billion traded in 8,313 deals; thus contributing 65.68% and 61.06% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
The Consumer Goods Industry followed with 96.320 million shares worth N2.199 billion in 3,148 deals. In the third place was the Conglomerates industry, with a turnover of 89.376 million shares worth N145.612 million in 757 deals.
Trading in the top three equities – Zenith Bank Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, and Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc (measured by volume) accounted for 298.901 million shares worth N4.761 billion in 3,056 deals, contributing 31.45% and 47.03% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
31 equities appreciated in price during the week, higher than 29 equities in the previous week. 27 equities depreciated in price, lower than 33 equities in the previous week, while 105 equities remained unchanged, higher than 101 equities recorded in the previous week.
Top 10 gainers for the week
- LASACO ASSURANCE PLC up 26.92% to close at N0.33
- INTERNATIONAL BREWERIES PLC up 26.32% to close at N3.60
- CORNERSTONE INSURANCE PLC up 18.37% to close at N0.58
- NEIMETH INTERNATIONAL PHARMACEUTICALS PLC up 12.36% to close at N2.00
- UNIVERSITY PRESS PLC up 11.71% to close at N1.24
- UNILEVER NIGERIA PLC up 11.60% to close at N13.95
- CHAMPION BREW. PLC up 9.86% to close at N0.78
- N NIG. FLOUR MILLS PLC up 9.82% to close at N4.25
- JULIUS BERGER NIG PLC up 9.63% to close at N16.50
- FIDSON HEALTHCARE PLC up 8.11% to close at N4.00
Top 10 losers for the week
- ROYAL EXCHANGE PLC down 16.13% to close at N0.26
- ASSOCIATED BUS COMPANY PLC down 14.89% to close at N0.40
- CONOIL PLC down 9.76% to close at N15.25
- P Z CUSSONS NIGERIA PLC down 9.41% to close at N3.85
- U A C N PLC down 8.33% to close at N5.50
- FLOUR MILLS NIG. PLC down 6.09% to close at N18.50
- OANDO PLC down 5.24% to close at N2.35
- VITAFOAM NIG PLC. down 5.22% to close at N5.45
- CAP PLC down 5.00% to close at N0.85
- REGENCY ASSURANCE PLC down 4.35% to close at N0.22
The Nigerian bourse ended the week cumulatively bullish, in spite of disruption in economic activities, scarcity of foreign exchange for payment obligation, and thin market liquidity at the Nigerian bourse.
Nairametrics, however, recommends cautious buying on growing geopolitical uncertainty.
United Capital Executive Director acquires 2 million additional shares worth N12.4 million
An Executive Director of United Capital Plc has purchased additional units of its shares worth N12.4 million.
United Capital Plc has notified the Nigerian Stock Exchange that one of its Executive Directors, Sunday Anene has acquired 2,000,000 additional units of its shares, worth N12.4 million.
In line with the Nigerian Stock Exchange policy on insider dealing, the formal disclosure was made by the company’s secretary, Leo Okafor.
According to the disclosure, the recent deal which took place on the 24th of February, 2021, saw Mr Anene purchase 2,000,000 additional units of the firm’s shares at N6.20 per unit, totalling N12.4 million.
Meanwhile, United Capital Plc share price currently trades at N6.24 on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
Results from its recently released FY 2020 financials showed a 57% increase in Profit After Tax, from N4.97 billion to N7.81 billion.
Other key financial metrics recorded impressive growth, part of which played an underlying role in the declaration of a total dividend of N4.2 billion- a major improvement of about 40% when compared to 2019 figures.
What you should know
- Mr Anene had in November 2020, spent the sum of N3.75 million on additional 915,574 units of the firm’s shares.
- United Capital Plc is a Nigeria-based financial and investment services company, offering a wide array of services like investment banking, portfolio management, securities trading and trusteeship etc.
Sell-offs resume in Nigerian stock market, catalyzed by Ecobank, Fidson
Investor sentiment as measured by market breadth was negative with 24 decliners and 14 advancers.
Nigerian bourse ended the fourth trading session on a negative note. Nigeria’s All-share index depreciated by 0.31% today to 40,095.49 index points.
Year-to-date return and market capitalization settled at -0.43% and N20.97 trillion respectively.
- A total volume of 326.0 million units of shares, valued at N3.7 1billion exchanged hands in 4,567 deals.
- Across coverage sectors, the performance was mostly negative as most tracked indices finished south. The NSE banking, consumer goods, and oil & gas fell by 1.44%, 0.79%, and 0.15% respectively.
- On the flip side, the NSE insurance improved by 0.24%, while the industrial index closed flat.
- Investor sentiment as measured by market breadth was negative with 24 decliners and 14 advancers. LASACO (-9.68%) led the laggards today, while CHAMS (+9.09%) finished top gainer.
- CHAMS up 9.09% to close at N0.24
- ROYALEX up 8.00% to close at N0.27
- WEMABANK up 7.69% to close at N0.7
- REDSTAREX up 5.77% to close at N3.3
- PRESTIGE up 4.55% to close at N0.46
- LASACO down 9.68% to close at N1.24
- FIDSON down 8.41% to close at N4.9
- ETI down 6.31% to close at N5.2
- MBENEFIT down 5.13% to close at N0.37
- UACN down 5.03% to close at N7.55
Nigerian stocks ended the second trading session of the week on a bearish note amid profit-taking across the market spectrum.
- Downtrend was driven by price depreciation medium and large capitalized stocks amongst which are; ETI, FIDSON, UACN.
- That being said, Nairametrics envisages cautious buying on the account that certain market indicators reveal investors are taking some of their gains across the market spectrum.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
- 2020 FY: Zenith Bank post N230.6 billion profit after tax
Zenith Bank Plc released its […]
- Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc boosts post tax profits by 25.9%
Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc released […]
- 2020 FY Results: Prestige Assurance Plc reports a 50.44% increase in profit.
Prestige Assurance Plc released its […]
- John Holt falls deeper into losses
John Holt Plc released its […]
- Sales volumes crash for Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc
Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc […]