The Federal Airports Authority of Nigerian (FAAN), has released a new set of procedural guidelines for air travelers and other airport users. This follows the announcement of the Federal Government, the gradual commencement of domestic flight operations at the nation’s airports with effect from July 8, 2020.
This new Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is aimed at protecting all stakeholders and preventing further spread of the coronavirus disease, especially through our airports.
This was disclosed in a press statement by FAAN on Friday, July 3, 2020, and signed by the agency’s General Manager Corporate Affairs, Henrietta Yakubu.
According to the procedures that have been outlined by FAAN in the “New Normal”, departing passengers must comply with the following guidelines;
- All passengers must arrive at the airport properly kitted with their face masks on.
- They must also ensure a minimum of one point five meters (1.5m) physical distancing, Aviation Medical/Port Health personnel would screen each passenger and ensure the use of face masks, those traveling with pets must get necessary clearance from Nigerian Agricultural Quarantine Services.
- All passengers’ luggage would be disinfected before entry into the departure halls.
- Passengers are required to wash their hands as often as possible, hand sanitizer would be provided for passengers before entrance, at the waiting halls/lounges and pre-boarding gates.
- All footwear would be disinfected/sanitized by foot mats placed at all entrances to the terminal building, amongst others.
(READ MORE: FG acquires profiling robots for airport)
For arriving passengers, the following guidelines must be adhered to;
- On disembarking from the aircraft, passengers would observe physical distancing as they board the Co-Buses (Hand Sanitizer would be provided in the buses).
- Physical distancing protocols must be observed at the baggage claim area, where hand sanitizer is also provided, disinfected trolleys would be made available for passengers.
- All Covid-19 protocols must be observed while undergoing customs check, Passengers would exit the halls and head straight to the car park for pick up.
- If you must speak to anyone around, please speak to a properly tagged Aviation Security (AVSEC) officer, physical distancing would be maintained while waiting to be screened by personnel of port health services, amongst others.
- In addition to the above guidelines, passengers are required to observe social distancing and make use of the floor markings at the security screening area. They must also comply with all other security guidelines as laid down by officials of the Aviation Security (AVSEC) department.
FAAN asked all passengers and stakeholders to observe these new protocols that have been put in place for their protection.