The Lagos State Government has announced the sealing off of 42 additional buildings in Lekki for failure to get building permits and comply with the physical planning laws of the state. This is to reduce the incidences of building collapse.
This was disclosed by the spokesman of the Lagos State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr. Mukaila Sanusi, who was quoting the Commissioner, Dr. Idris Salako, on Friday June 26, 2020.
Salako said that the enforcement became necessary so as to stem the tide of building collapse and also protect the environment for adherence to proper planning.
According to Salako, “This explains why we must stop those who are bent on jeopardising the Operative Development Plans of Lagos State by not tolerating any form of illegal physical development.”
Salako explained that the special operation started in Lekki Phase 1 on Tuesday, with the sealing off of 19 buildings, making a total of 42 buildings that were closed as of Thursday, June 25, 2020.
He also urged those whose properties were affected due to the infractions to report to his office in Ikeja, while also advising property owners in Lekki Phase 1 and other parts of the state to ensure compliance with physical planning laws of the state.
Nairametrics had reported about 2 weeks ago, that the Lagos state government, sealed off 34 properties in highbrow Banana Island in a 2-day exercise for violating planning laws of the state in terms of structure and location of the properties, in addition to failure to obtain the required building permits.
The Lagos state government is applying stricter controls and regulations for property developers due to increasing cases of collapsed buildings which have claimed many lives in the state.
Dr. Salako, pointed out that the state government was ready to take on individuals and property developers who violated those planning laws to the detriment of the wellness and wellbeing of the society through disorderly, unorganized, unapproved and illegal developments.
Tax on rents and Certificate of Occupancy is valid – Akabueze
FIRS had announced that stamp duty will be paid on house rent and C of O.
The Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, Ben Akabueze, announced that the recent FIRS taxes on Certificate of Occupancy and rents is not new and has been around since the 1980s.
He disclosed this in the 2021-2023 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper (MTEF&FSP) on Friday, adding that ever since the 80s, his landlord had always given him a postage stamp on his rent receipts, and that the law was not just recognized for a long time.
“Over time, because the culture of postage has dropped off and that was not being implemented. What FIRS has done now is to make that into electronic stamp that you can still use to comply with the existing law,” Akabueze said.
Last week, the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) announced that stamp duty will be paid on house rent and Certificate of Occupancy (C of O), in line with its new adhesive duty. The new duty was inaugurated in Abuja at the official inauguration of the Inter-Ministerial Committee on Audit and Recovery of Back Years Stamp Duties.
FIRS Director for Communication and Liaison Department, Mr Abdullahi Ahmad, said the new policy was necessary so as to give the instruments the legal backing required and make them legally binding on all parties involved in such transactions.
Consequently, Ahmad asked Nigerians to ensure that documents that related to rent and lease agreements for homes or offices, C of O, and other common business-related transaction instruments were authenticated with the new FIRS Adhesive Stamp Duty.
He also advised Nigerians to make sure that any document related to leasing agreements and rents related to offices and homes, including C of O and other transaction instruments used in these seals were authenticated with the new FIRS Adhesive Stamp Duty.
Diversion points for third mainland bridge closure revealed
There would be a diversion of traffic in 2 phases during the partial closure of the bridge.
The Federal Government has announced the different phases points of diversion of traffic during the partial closure of the Third Mainland bridge for repair works.
This was disclosed during a joint press conference by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Engr Olukayode Popoola, the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Frederic Oladeinde and the Special Adviser to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Works, Engr Aramide Adeyoye, on Tuesday at Alausa Ikeja.
During the press conference, the Federal and Lagos State Governments have appealed to motorists and Lagos residents to cooperate with government and appropriate agencies during the 6 months partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for maintenance work, which is expected to start on July 24.
They also assured Lagosians that necessary measures would be put in place to reduce gridlocks during partial closure of the bridge as they would work with appropriate authorities to direct and control traffic movement in the affected areas and alternative routes.
Engr. Popoola revealed that there would be diversion of traffic in 2 phases during the partial closure of the bridge between Friday, July 24, 2020 and January 24, 2021.
He said the First Phase of the diversion, which will last for 3 months of repairs of the Oworonsoki bound lane of the Third Mainland Bridge, would be for morning traffic from 12:00 am to 1:00 pm from Oworonshoki to Lagos Island on the Lagos Island-bound lane, while the afternoon traffic from 1:00 pm to 12:00 am would be from Lagos Island to Oworonsoki on the Lagos Island-bound lane.
Engr. Popoola said the Phase 2 of the diversion, which would last also for three months of repairs of the Lagos Island-bound lane of the Third Mainland Bridge, would be for morning traffic from 12:00 am to 1:00 pm from Oworonsoki to Lagos Island on the Oworonsoki bound lane, while the afternoon traffic from 1:00 pm to 12:00 am would be from Lagos Island to Oworonsoki on the Oworonsoki bound lane.
Popoola said, “Motorists are advised to also ply these alternative routes: First, from Carter Bridge through Iddo through Oyingbo to join Adekunle ramp inward Oworonsoki. Secondly, from Ijora Olopa through Western Avenue to Ikorodu Road.”
On his own part, the Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Dr. Oladeinde said priority will be given to those driving from Mainland to the Island in morning and afternoon to use the Third Mainland while those driving against traffic will use the alternative routes.
Dr. Oladeinde assured motorists that Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) will work with Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in all the alternative routes to ensure that motorists have a smooth journey during the partial closure of the bridge.
The commissioner advised those who don’t have any genuine reason to be on the road to stay at home to reduce vehicular movement during this period while adding that the public vehicles would be available and affordable for road users.
He said: “If you don’t have to travel, I will advise that you stay at home so that we can minimise the number of vehicles on the road. If you can work at home, please do. But if you can’t, we will ensure will be on the road for you to get to your destination as quickly as possible.”
Dr. Oladeinde also advised people of Lagos State to use alternative transport such as ferries. He said there will be an increase in the number of fleets by the Lagos Ferry Services in the morning for people from Ikorodu and Mile 2 as alternative transportation.
Also speaking, Engr. Adeyoye while appreciating the Federal Government for the repair of Third Mainland Bridge, said Lagos State Government has commenced necessary preparatory works on all the alternative routes in the state to make them motorable for the commuters.
Adeyoye said the state will do its best within two weeks to work on all the roads that may likely cause gridlocks to be free of potholes.
She also warned trucks and vehicles that are not road worthy or serviceable to stay away from Lagos roads.
Federal Government and LASG have appealed to motorists and Lagos residents to cooperate with government and appropriate agencies during the six months partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for maintenance work, which is expected to commence on July 24#ForAGreaterLagos pic.twitter.com/yUOOQIwe62
— The Lagos State Govt (@followlasg) July 7, 2020
FG to shut Third Mainland Bridge for 6 months
The Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainland.
The Federal Government has announced plans to shut down the Third Mainland Bridge for maintenance work from July 24, 2020.
This was disclosed by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, during an interaction with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday July 6, 2020.
In the conversation, Popoola said that consultations were on for another phase of repair works to commence on the Third Mainland Bridge. He told the News Agency of Nigeria that the consultations were towards developing a perfect traffic management architecture that will be very efficient and effective.
According to Popoola, “We want to do maintenance work on Third Mainland Bridge very soon. Most likely on the 24th. We may close it from 24th of July.’’
“We are still working out the modalities and when we perfect the traffic management plan we will move to site. Everything being expected for the repairs of the bridge arrived the country that is why we want to start the repairs now,’’
The 11.8km bridge which has gone through series of rehabilitation works was last closed for repairs in August 2018 for 3 days of investigative maintenance check.
Thereafter, some components needed for completion of repairs were sourced abroad because they were not available locally.
Meanwhile, a monitored report from Channels suggests that the closure might last for a period of 6 months.
There has been reports of some worn-out joints of the bridge, which has raised some serious safety concerns for the users of the bridge. The federal government will be working with the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) on how best traffic during this period.
The Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainland.
The bridge starts from Oworonshoki which is linked to the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway and the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and ends at the Adeniji Adele Interchange on Lagos Island.
It was opened for use 1990 and was the longest in Africa until 1996 when The 6th October Bridge in Cairo was completed.