nairametrics
UBA ads

Financial Literacy

How To Get Back Unclaimed Dividends & Process e-dividends

How To Get Back Unclaimed Dividends & Process e-dividends

How To Get Back Unclaimed Dividends & Process e-dividends

As an investor in shares it is very likely that you may have come across incidences of unpaid dividends either due to the dividend warrants getting expired or the dividend warrants never even getting to you at all. Recently, I embarked on a mission to get back some of my unclaimed dividends from yester years as well as ensure I never again miss out on my return on investments, otherwise called dividends. Here is a step by step guide of how I did it.

UBA ADS

Get a List of All Your Shares

The first thing I did was to visit my stockbroker requesting for an updated list of all the stocks that I own in the Central Securities Clearing System (CSCS). You can actually get this printed online yourself if you register with the CSCS. I also took a list of all the share certificates I have just to be sure my entire portfolio is accounted for.

One can also search for one’s name using this link

It will pull up a list of companies that one has unclaimed dividends in, as well as the registrars involved.

GTBank 728 x 90

Obtain a list of the respective Registrar’s for the Stocks you own

Every company listed on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange has a unique Registrar that manages their outstanding shares on their behalf. The Registrars are mandated to manage all shareholder issues such as dividends, public offers, share certificates, bonus issues etc. on behalf of companies. Therefore if you are to get back your dividends you will have to know who your registrars are.

[Read Also: How To Monetize Old Share Certificates and Locate Missing Stocks]

Sign a Share Transfer Form

The stockbroker will give you a share transfer form for each of the shares you own. The form basically mandates the stockbroker to act as your agent, thus giving them the powers to   process your unpaid dividends with your respective registrars. This service typically requires a token fee depending on the stockbroker. The fees can be a flat amount or percentage of the dividends you are expecting.

These all depends on the value of your dividends. The alternative will be for you to approach the registrars one by one by yourself just to get your unpaid dividends sorted out. This can be time consuming if you do not have the luxury of time for this. However, it does save you some fees which you would have paid to your stockbroker.

This process can last within a month or more depending on the efficiency of the registrar and the commitment of your stockbroker. You will also need to follow them up very often to ensure that you get your dividends on time.

Processing E-Dividends

I also used the same opportunity to process my e-dividends registration. E-dividend registration is basically a solution to the incidences of unpaid dividends. By registering for E-dividends, your registrars simply credits your bank account whenever dividend is paid out by any of your companies.

This process completely avoids the more common paper dividends and has the added benefits of ensuring that you never lose your dividends and that they get paid to you on time. Considering that I still received a number of paper dividends I informed my stockbroker that I wanted to switch to E-dividends. I was then given a set of E-dividend forms of the respective registrars for each of the companies I owned shares in following which I filled the forms.

[Read Also: How to protect your bank account from phishing attempts]

A typical E-dividend form will contain the name of the bank which you intend your dividend to be paid into, the address of the bank,  Nuban Bank account number, sort code, the name and address of the shareholder, name of stockbroker, email address, company seal (if it is a registered company) etc. Registrars typically have various formats but contain basically the same information.

Visit your Bank

After filling and signing the forms, you will have to take a copy to the banks as well for them to sign. Without the bank’s signature on your forms the e-dividend form may not fly. I found this quite rigorous as well as I hate to visit banks and prefer to transact online. However, considering the sensitivity of e-dividends, it is understandable that they make the process a lot more thorough.

You can prefer to use one bank only for your e-dividends if you do not like the stress of having to visit multiple banks and going through the same process all over again. Another advantage one bank gives you is that it makes dividend monitoring very easy as you only have to check one bank statement when it’s time to reconcile your dividends.

Back to the stockbroker or registrar

Once you are done with signing the e-dividend forms take it to your stockbroker, if you had mandated them to process your e-dividend on your behalf. Remember, you may have to give them a power of attorney to do that. Otherwise, you take the forms to the respective registrars yourself for them to complete the final leg of the registration. Again, the timeline for this depends on the registrar and how efficient they are in processing e-dividends.

You should also use this opportunity to follow up with your stockbroker or registrar about your past dividends which I had mentioned earlier. Remember, e-dividends will only be paid for subsequent dividends and not the ones that had already being paid but not credited to you.

Nairametrics is Nigeria's top business news and financial analysis website. We focus on providing resources that help small businesses and retail investors make better investing decisions. Nairametrics is updated daily by a team of professionals. Post updated as "Nairametrics" are published by our Editorial Board.

1. Felix

May 14, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I can relate to the above write-up. For a couple of years now I have been going through this maze of procedures and policies just to locate and keep track of my shares in only three companies. For someone used to simplicity and efficiency of getting the same things done in the west, it has been a very frustrating process dealing with registrars, stockbrokers and banks in Nigeria. Even emails and text messages take forver to reply, and so-called customer service phone numbers are hardly answered. At one point, I wanted to forget the whole thing.

The worst part is that every identifying document has to come from Nigeria, even when you have not been in Nigeria for 20 years; postage stamps, affidavits, references, etc. There is no provision in the rules and regulations governing these processes to accomodate Diaspora Nigerians, and that is very wrong, especially in a world where international transactions are becoming more seamless.

There is that expectation by those living outside Nigeria, that such services as banking, insurance, share purchase, etc should not be a nightmare in this day and age, given the explosion of information technology; unfortunate, one is greatly disappointed that Nigerian businesses are light years behind, and this negatively affects investment revenue inflow to the country.

• Ugodre

May 14, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Thanks for your comment. I believe with e-dividends you will get better and speedy value for your investments

• olakunle

September 7, 2017 at 5:58 am

i bought 1000 unit shares of Dangote Flour Mills Plc. 10 years ago nd im yet to get my Dividends , ive been outside the country for some time now and i dont even know whats up with my shares..

2. Stanley alaribe

January 11, 2015 at 8:08 pm

How do i find out from my registrant about my unclaimed dividend?

3. olatunjiogunwale

September 26, 2015 at 8:28 pm

l dont know where to start, my late dad left some shares under my name, original will still with the administrator who refuse to do anything since 20 yrs daddy has left. But photocopy of the will with me. Many shares certificate has lost due to change of postal box. what can l do now .pls, reply me via my e-mail thanks

• kasali adekunle

June 4, 2017 at 1:55 pm

i just received message that my e-dividend mandate form has been approved by first regstrars on 1/6/2017.what shall be next step now

4. Ogundipe Benedict Oludayo

January 18, 2016 at 10:25 pm

For banks to append their signature a of 5k is charged why, which is why I abandoned the process.

5. amusan oluwasegun

July 20, 2016 at 7:32 pm

since 2008 to 2011i’m not collect any dividend.

6. John

September 26, 2016 at 4:43 pm

I bought dangote flour shares at UBA bank by 2008. During the process I filled my oceanic bank account on the form which I used to receive my dividend. I left the bank when they became ECObank and since then I’ve done nothing about my dividends. December 20015 I received a CD from Tiger Brands that has my Account number and annual report and also states that I have unclaimed dividend 1-5. Please how do I go about claiming these dividends and also updating my current bank details so that I receive the dividends at where am banking with. I’ll appreciate any reply you send to my email. Thank you.

7. Bm

October 25, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Some shares were bought by two different people for me in my name when i was young(below 18). I want to claim my dividends now,how do i go about it?

• Nairametrics

October 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Do you have the share certificates?

8. Grace

November 14, 2016 at 8:41 am

i bought 3ooo unit shares of Fidelity 8 years ago nd im yet to get my certicate , ive been outside the country for some time now and i dont even know whats up with my shares

9. Grace

November 14, 2016 at 8:42 am

no dear, i only have the receipt

10. Grace

November 14, 2016 at 8:53 am

infact is was 10 years ago while i was studying at Unilag, their agent came to Unilag and i bought 3000 units. moreso the bank details i gave them has being closerd for sure cause i ve been outside the country for some years now. how can u be of help please

11. ogioba precious

August 19, 2017 at 1:27 pm

my late dad bought units of shares for my siblings and I at ecobank 2008,havent receive any dividends and the only thing with me is the form and a teller attached to it which he used in purchasing the form….please what do i do about it ?
    precious.

12. Abolanle

October 16, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Is there a law stating that your dividend warrant expires after 12 years untreated.

13. Alhassan Umar yakubu

November 1, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I need my original share certificate the one sent to me was duplicate through my P.O. BOX, and I now have my own gmail want all information to come through it.

14. falodun olusegun mayowa

January 11, 2018 at 1:42 pm

good day,
    how do i go about claiming my dividend from shares bought, i have my certificate with me but my hitch is the bank ownership has changed. i got the shares under the name of bank PHB now keystone. Even before the switch i never got any dividend.

i will appreciate if all procedural on how to work on this is forwarded via my email.

thanks and look forward to your response.

15. blessing onuwa

February 12, 2018 at 11:47 am

Am blessing onwa in mkurdi, I bought dangote flour in Kaduna 2007@ intercontinental bank now econank, I receive my first dividend on 31/12/2008 since then no dividend has been sent to the p.o.box I gave. I want my unclaimed dividends and my share certificate to be given to me with this address: Benue State Local Government Pension Board, P.M.B102095 Makurdi, Benue State.

16. Usman Ado

March 26, 2018 at 9:39 am

Hello my name is Usman Ado I brought Dangote Flour Mill on 03 10 2007 but am yet to receive my share certificate of 1000 units Thanks

17. Olusegun Omitola

May 10, 2018 at 4:34 pm

As a student then, I bought 1000 units of Oceanic bank share, 1000 units of Intercontinental bank share and 2000 units of FinBank share. I registered one of them with a broker but don’t know the details again. Please any help to trace the shares? Thanks.

• chibuike dunstan

August 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm

if you still have the issue i will assist you. not that i am a stockbroker but just an investor like you- i also had intercontinental though Global bank before it became intercontinental bank shares.
      Now know this access bank acquired intercontinental bank at a very terrible rate, which means your shares in access are far fewer than 10,000units. but all your dividends you received as intercontinental bank and access bank since they acquired it will be given to you if you meet access bank registrars i.e united securities limited. take your shareholding number to access bank or browse it it to contact their registrars, fill and give your bankers to stamp on it then submit it. roughly within a month depending on the volume to be attended to, all your monies with enter your bank account you provided.

18. Dare olumadare abiodun

May 21, 2018 at 8:49 pm

I have not collect any devidence since 2014

19. Idike Gloria Onyebuchi

May 25, 2018 at 2:02 pm

I bought a dangote flour mill since January 2008 at then Oceanic, but I have never gotten any dividend please I need help on how to go about it tanks

20. Patrick Usiaphre

June 15, 2018 at 11:09 pm

There is big conspiracy by some of the registrars not to pay dividends on flimsy excuses,the system has been simplified so the issue of identity and signatures can be verified online …int passport drivers liecense,national id,BVN and others

21. Medugu Amtagu

June 19, 2018 at 1:08 pm

I bought some shares with Skye back back in 2008,details concerning that shares I have not received and I don’t have any knowledge on its progress.

22. Gloria Oghoyon

August 27, 2018 at 1:56 pm

I bought dangote flour mill shares in 2007.i have my certificate but since 2011 they stop sending dividend.i ve written and fill E- dividend form so many times through my bank(Ecobank) but still nothing has been done.I will really appreciate it if you can tell me how to get my accrued dividend.you can reply me through my E-mail.
    Thank you.

23. joshua komo pani

August 28, 2018 at 9:50 pm

i bought dangote flour mill shares in 2007, i have my certificate but since then i have not received dividend i also fill the e-dividend form. how can i get the accrued dividend.thanks please reply me through my e-mail.

24. Victor

October 17, 2018 at 4:23 pm

I bought ETI, and First inland Bank. shares in 2008.i have my certificate but since they stop sending me dividend.appreciate it if you can tell me how to get my accrued dividend.you can reply me through my E-mail.
    Thank you.

25. Olu Adebayo

November 12, 2018 at 7:04 am

I bought several shares in multiple names, how do I consolidate them into one.

• Alfred Akuki

November 12, 2018 at 5:49 pm

You will need to go to your registrar/stockbroker/banker and try to identify the names in which you or a third party bought the shares on your behalf. You will need to have identification particulars and any other documents that establish that the shares you seek to claim are yours.

26. Adelowo Adewale Samuel

March 11, 2019 at 10:58 pm

I bought 10,000 units of intercontinental in 2007 l received dividend for like 3yrs after which up till now 2019 l don’t know what is going on with my shares
    Can anyone help me out please?

• chibuike dunstan

August 10, 2019 at 8:34 am

27. emmanuel uduanu

September 2, 2019 at 11:47 pm

i bought 3000 unit of oceanic shares in 2007 and up till now i have not receive any divident.pls i need your help

28. Omulu Obiora Lawrence

September 17, 2019 at 6:08 am

Hi
    I need your help, my late dad got shares with UTC PLC and UAC PLC. I went to their office in Lagos from Enugu on 2011/2012 for these but sad that after bringing requested documents like share certificates, power of attorney, open an estate account and so on, I never received a cent or kobo since then.
    What must I do or who should I write or complain to?

29. Regina

October 4, 2019 at 8:46 am

I bought four different share with different names since 2006 and uptill date I have not been paid

30. Ritaro James

December 7, 2019 at 11:36 am

Good morning.
    My dad bought shares under bagco from first bank but has not collected dividend

31. Anyanwu Sun Chukwuemeka

December 28, 2019 at 5:40 pm

Good day sir, compliments of the season. please i need help on how to claim and receieve my dividend. for some years , i have not recieved any and have trying to make contacts on what to do. I will be very happy if my request is look into and granted. Thanks, God bless.

32. BANKOLE DICKSON

January 23, 2020 at 6:25 pm

I bought OCEANIC BANK shares in 2007 and up till now, I haven’t receive any dividend. I didn’t register with cscs as I wasn’t in the Country for a lo g time. How can u help? dwbankole@ gmail.com

Investment Tips

Proxy Voting: Making Your Voice Heard Inspite of COVID-19

Proxy Voting: Making Your Voice Heard Inspite of COVID 19

One of the privileges of owning shares in a company is the ability to attend the shareholders’ meetings and vote on important issues about the company. In most cases, such issues touch on dividend declaration, election and/or reelection of directors, authorization to fix independent auditors’ remunerations, and the election of members of the audit committee, among others.

It has been observed that shareholders love to attend such annual general meetings in person for the pride of place it provides, as well as the social status it bequeaths to the attendees in addition to the souvenirs they receive during such meetings.

UBA ADS

Unfortunately, that era of a social event involving the physical gathering of shareholders seems to be going extinct, thanks to COVID-19.  However, in spite of the devastating effects of COVID-19, and the changes it is bringing to our social life, shareholders can still make their voices heard during non-physical shareholders’ or annual general meetings. This they can do using proxy votes.

What is Proxy Voting: Proxy voting is a process where one person chooses another to represent him or her in casting a vote on his or her behalf. Proxy voting has not been more important than in the present COVID-19 times. In reaction to the pandemic, proxy voting is being used in areas outside corporate governance. For example, the US House of Representatives is pushing for proxy voting as a means of getting things done in the house. In a proposal released by the House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, US lawmakers would be allowed to cast votes for their colleagues who are not in the Capitol in person. That underscores the advantage and the increasing importance of proxy voting.

Nigerian Companies and Proxy Votes:  Proxy voting is not new in Nigeria, especially among Nigerian companies. Whether it has been effectively used or taken advantage of is another question. However, Nigeria’s Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) has been proactive and forthright in its quest to ensure that companies in Nigeria and Nigerian shareholders alike, take advantage of the proxy voting process in keeping with the social distancing rules put in place by various governments to curb the menacing COVID-19. The CAC has therefore asked companies to take advantage of “S.230 CAMA on the use of proxies in holding their Annual General Meetings.”

GTBank 728 x 90

(READ MORE: IMF, World Bank to hold virtual meetings over Coronavirus epidemic)

In line with the availability of the proxy voting process as a way to give every shareholder a voice and the encouragement and enablement from the CAC, many companies in Nigeria are complying with the advice. A visit to the website of the Nigeria Stock Exchange indicates that all the 30 companies that notified the public about their annual general meetings via the Nigeria Stock Exchange, since April 1, 2020, included notices or indications of the need for proxy votes in such notifications. Many of them even included links to live-stream the events, for those who would like to participate online.

Proxy Voting: Making Your Voice Heard Inspite of COVID 19

Brace for Change: There is no doubt that COVID-19 has changed and will continue to change the way certain things are done. From the look of things, proxy voting may become the new normal in corporate governance and conduct of shareholders Annual General Meetings.

Shareholders, big and small, should start getting used to voting by proxy, especially those who have not been doing so in the past. It is only by so doing that you will make your voice heard, in the affairs of the company in which you have worked so hard to invest in.

Financial Literacy

7 common money mistakes I made and why you should avoid them

On Sunday, March 17th, 2020, Nairametrics Founder, Ugodre Obi-Chukwu, tweeted a question that has over time garnered more than seven hundred interesting responses. His question was about debt and it was straight to the point —”What was the most amount you lent out to someone and never got paid back?”

UBA ADS

As you can expect with this type of question, the responses were varied and highly personal. The Twitter thread also proved one thing, and that is the fact that banks are not alone when it comes to bad debts. One of those whose responses stood out for this author is Gabriel Omin, a personal finance enthusiast. Interestingly, Mr Omin had earlier written extensively about the 7 money mistakes he made in the past, and lending is atop his list. See below.

Never Ever Lend Money Kept In Your Custody.

There is a reason you were chosen to keep the money. People do not joke with their money and so they carefully choose who keeps corporate funds. Even thieves chose trusted people to keep their money.

When you betray the trust of people for whatsoever reason, you’ve soiled your name. You will lose social capital, which is a very important capital (this is one of those, not everything that counts that can be counted). That is very hard to undo. Whatsoever happened, it’ll be hard for people to forget. My dad will not touch the original money that is given to him to keep. If you numbered your money, you will get it back the same way. Basically, you will get the same notes you gave him to keep except he took the money to the bank.

GTBank 728 x 90

I learned this the hard way. A friend of a friend came with a need. He told me he had funds in the bank but it did not clear and the next day was a public holiday (this was pre-online banking). I loaned him money that someone gave me to keep. The person who gave me the money to keep, trusted me to the extent that he refused to sign a contract with me because he trusted me. I was supposed to get the money on the next working day, from the friend of a friend. Till today the next working day nefa reach. I had to go to the guy who gave me the money to keep for him, spoke a lot of English and paid back though I missed the day we earlier agreed. It was sad but I learned the hard way.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: What businesses must do to mitigate crisis

Avoid Impulse & Unplanned Expenses.

No budget, no spend. Spending without a budget is misappropriation. It doesn’t apply only to politicians. Have a budget & stay on it. This is the epitome of discipline. People will say what they want to say but instilling financial discipline is more important. A budget creates boundaries. Without a budget, you are on the speed lane to debt and debt…s/he is cruel. Plan plan plan. There might be surprises but a plan keeps you in order. It helps you know where you have detoured. You must not buy every AsoEbi. ATM cards are sweet to swipe but hard on the balance.

One of the ways to avoid impulse buying is to hold cash. Yes. It sounds not- so-tech in a tech age but believes me it works. When the cash is finished, it is finished. Sitting down in one place also helps. Yes o. The more the outing, the more the expense. I can feel the envy I am generating with this but na so e bi.

The Money Will Come.

You are old enough now to know that the money will not always come. Things happen. Have a buffer for emergencies. The difference between politicians & business people is that politicians do not understand why the money should not come. Business people work for money. They know that you have to make it happen. Stop planning your expense based on the generosity of strangers.

Spending Based On Other People’s Purse.

Don’t plan your wedding with the hope that your uncle will foot the bill. It is setting yourself up for frustration. Uncle also has his money issues that you have no clue about. Don’t plan to fly business class with the hope that someone else will pay. You are not on welfare. Even if you are on welfare, please bring something to the table. That something is humility.

Responsible people spend within their means. They may not have Rolexes or iPhones but they hardly ask for help on predictable things like house rent, school fees, etc. It takes 9 months to have a baby. It is not an emergency; plan for it. I take God beg you; plan.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: The ‘New Normal’ for Nigerian aviation industry

Your kids should be in schools that you can afford. People have come to me for fees of school that my kids cannot even attend. I once headed a scholarship board and we set our requirements from day one. But parents kept coming for help in schools that they cannot afford. I mean households that both parents were not earning any income. You see what I mean by the fact that you have to contribute humility when you come to the welfare board?

Don’t buy with the hope that someone else will pick the bill. Try and agree upfront for a joint transaction. For the fact that someone paid upfront might mean that s/he expects repayment. Don’t think s/he is wicked when repayment is expected and asked for. In joint transactions, always think of going Dutch except you are advised otherwise. Err on the side of caution.

Spending Money Before It Gets To You.

Things happen. Until money enters your account, don’t go & pick something with the hope that you will pay when you get the money. That habit will lead you into the red. How about if that money does not come at the end of the day? I try not to make promises to people based on expected money. I see people start piling up debt just because they got a new job. It will distort your balance sheet if you start that way. It never ends well.

Money Sent Me On Errand.

I have seen people who were given a raise, upgrade their lifestyle in a heartbeat. Fly business class by the next day. Buy an expensive toy they never planned for. This is what happens to lottery winners. They pursue the appearance of wealth. The appearance of wealth is demonstrated when you get those things that make it look like you’ve arrived. It is the reason people take pictures sitting on cars; same reason musicians record videos in mansions and nice cars and private jets. Gang stars wear fur coats. Same when people buy TV/stereo set/gadgets with their first salary. Always allow the money to cool down. Take out time to plan what to do afterward. I have a one month rule for windfalls. They stay in the account until such a time that I have decided the way forward.

Depending on the Generosity of Strangers.

This is living life with the hope that somehow someone else will show up in the nick of time to pick your bills. It leads to living in debt and hoping that those you are indebted to will forget the money. These people can come to you with their family to thank you for the debt forgiveness you have rendered them. Meanwhile, you have said nothing of such. They always convert their debt into forgiven loans by themselves without your consent. They are experts at this. They quarrel and get contentious if you do not forgive. Money problems abound.

So, next time you think of doing any of these, have a rethink.

Coronavirus

A New Wave: Where to Invest in H2 2020

Some of the industries that are expected to succeed given the changing times are not your usual kinds of investments.

A New Wave: Where to Invest in H2 2020

There are two kinds of people in the world: The ‘glass-half-empty’ kind, and the ‘glass-half-full’ people. Where some see problems, others see the opportunities – same glass, but different perspectives. 2020 might have left very little hope to hang on to, but the world is still in motion.

Amidst the chaos, many have found their diamonds in the rubble – and many more will. These people, however, will be those who are willing to adapt to the changing times by repositioning themselves to leverage the opportunities that arise.

UBA ADS

The Covid-19 pandemic has proven to be a holistic challenge, bringing to the fore a myriad of issues. It has caused a dent in the revenue/ disposable income of many businesses and individuals alike, shaken the very balance of the economy with many countries heading for unprecedented recessions, and left everyone with so much uncertainty.

Yet, we are at the cusp of a new dawn. Processes are changing, new industries are emerging, and money is changing hands. Flexibility, automation, and sustainability are just some of the words that will make all the difference in the world of business.

Dr. Ola Orekunrin Brown, the founder of Flying Doctors – a healthcare investment company – had, at the Quarterly Economic Outlook Webinar hosted by Nairametrics, offered insights into some of the industries that are expected to succeed given the changing times, and they have been outlined below. But be warned, a lot of them are not your usual kinds of investments.

GTBank 728 x 90

READ ALSO: The week that shook the world: the collapse of the Lehman Brothers and the effect it had on me

Investment opportunities to leverage in H2 2020

Online Events

One of the many trends that emerged in recent times, as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic induced lockdown in many parts of the world, is a huge dependence on internet technology and digital media. Everybody went indoors – and online. The entertainment sector found its home on social media through Instagram Live parties, Tik Tok, and the Houseparty App.

Companies went online as well, leveraging digital technology like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Slack. Even the lifestyle industry went online with online gym classes, yoga classes, and even karate classes. Not only have they provided much-needed solutions, they have also come with the additional benefit of convenience.

A good example of this is Eric Yuan, the founder of Zoom, who joined Forbes’ billionaires’ list for the first time as a result of the increased use of Zoom for work meetings. Apptopia, an App tracking firm, reveals that Zoom was downloaded 2.13 million times around the world on 23 March, the day the lockdown was announced in the UK– up from 56,000 a day and two months earlier.

Online education

Another feature of the digital economy lies in the education sector. With schools forcefully closed, classes have had to go online. Online courses, training workshops, and even full degrees will become more normal as those who work from home will see these online education courses as an opportunity to develop themselves with little effort.

Investments here will be even more fostered by access to international markets, thereby increasing the market size. ResearchAndMarkets predicts that the online education market is poised to grow by $247.46 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of 18% during the forecast period.

READ ALSO: Stay secure when shopping online – Follow these tips from Visa

Institutions that are too big to fail

The stock market is expected to be even more volatile, given the overall unfavourable economic terrain and a high level of uncertainty – especially with all the talks of a recession coming. In H1 2020, the more favourable companies to invest in are those that have stood the test of time – the stocks that are too big to fail.

Many of these stocks have been in existence for decades and have been able to attain a level of stability as a result of their large market share and stable structures. You want financially strong companies and the reason is not far-fetched; the goal is to put your money behind the companies that are strong enough to withstand the storm to a good extent.

Telecommunication

Another by-product of the Covid-19 induced lockdown is the increased need for internet services. Dr. Ola explains that the use of the internet as well as the move to work-from-home, are some of the megatrends of the times.

Good internet connectivity has proven to be the lifeblood that keeps digital entertainment trends, digital work trends, digital lifestyle trends, digital entertainment trends, and a huge chunk of the communication we have today. As a result of this, companies in the telecommunication industry have begun experiencing growth in revenue and earnings. Investments in this sector will most probably be worth your while.

READ ALSO: Banking related phishing up 9% in 2019, e-stores down 10%

Distribution & E-commerce

When the Okada ban took place, several motorcycle companies that were affected were forced to pivot from transporting people to moving items as full-scale delivery businesses. While many might have thought that a bad idea, the lockdown has undoubtedly contributed to the development of this industry.

The e-commerce industry is also expected to thrive with trade moving predominantly to the internet. Investments in distribution companies and e-commerce businesses are also expected to be worth your while.

Stronger currencies

One of the major hits of the pandemic is the Nigerian foreign exchange market which has now become highly volatile. The demand for the dollar far outweighs the available supply and this has forced importers and speculators alike to scramble for what is available in circulation.

Given the challenges with the FX market, international spending on foreign denominated expenses like tuition fees or international loans will come at an increased cost. To mitigate foreign exchange loss challenges, investments in USD denominated equities, and Eurobond funds will help you withstand the storm. While gains here could have you betting against the Naira, having foreign investments in your investment portfolio will come in handy.

READ MORE: Edtech redefines learning during Coronavirus pandemic

Agriculture

The Agricultural industry is an expected gainer. One of the reasons for this is that local supply chains will expand, given the restrictions on the global supply chain as a result of the lockdown and the border closure. While this will also thrive, Dr. Ola Brown, explains that jobs will only be created in the short term.

This is because fewer hands will be required as productivity, better processes, and mechanization systems increase. An example of this is the new trend of robot herders in the United States. This is even more so as we compete with the rest of the world in production. Needless to say, Agriculture will always exist, given the need for food, as well as the rising global population.

Get the Nairametrics App

Healthcare

While the Covid-19 pandemic has a direct impact on the healthcare industry, the industry is a complex one. The first reason for this is that, with the healthcare infrastructure deficit in Nigeria, the government will need to invest in it to provide wide access.

With subsidies on healthcare, the free market in terms of investments might not be as lucrative with more people opting for government healthcare. However, given increased investments in the sector and the move to preventive health practices, the industry remains attractive.

For more detailed investment opportunities with specific stocks in the Nigerian Stock Market, sign up for the Nairametrics Stock Select Newsletter.