The latest draw by the Canadian Government has taken the total number of candidates invited to apply for the Canadian Permanent Residency to 41,800 in the first half of 2019.
According to the Canadian Immigration Newsletter obtained by Nairametrics, the Canadian Government invited 3,350 Express Entry candidates to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency in a draw which held on Wednesday, June 26. It was further revealed that the cut-off score (462) in the latest draw was three points lower than the score (465) used in the previous draw that was held on June 12th.
Cut off drops as bi-weekly draw resumes: The Cut-off for recent draws have started to reduce, and it was revealed that the lower cut-off scores in the last two Express Entry draws may be attributed to the fact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) returned to this two-week period between draws.
The higher-than-usual cut-off score in the May 29 draw reflected the fact that nearly a month passed between draws involving all three of the main Express Entry-managed immigration programmes.
Invitations higher than Previous year: Following the recent draw, total invitations to apply have already surpassed that of 2018 with 2,100. Last year saw IRCC issue a record 89,800 ITAs, a number it could surpass this year given Canada’s higher admissions targets for both 2019 and 2020 for its three main Express Entry-managed programmes.
Opportunities for International Graduates: Canada’s province, Manitoba, recently invited 450 immigration candidates to apply for a provincial nomination for Canadian Permanent Residency in an Expression of Interest draw held June 20.
The invitations, known as Letters of Advice to Apply (LAAs), went to candidates in the Skilled Workers in Manitoba, Skilled Workers Overseas, and International Education streams.
All three streams are part of the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Programme (MPNP), which allows the province to nominate immigration candidates with skills required by local employers and the ability to settle quickly and establish themselves economically.
LAAs issued in the June 20 draw broke down as follows:
- Skilled Workers Overseas: 323
- Skilled Workers in Manitoba: 101
- International Education Stream: 26
About Express Entry: Express Entry is a selection system for Canadian immigration, designed to select skilled workers for immigration to Canada. It is completely an electronic process involving the country’s federal government, provincial governments, and Canadian employers.
Also, it manages the pool of candidates for three of Canada’s main federal economic immigration programmes — Federal Skilled Worker Class, Federal Skilled Trades Class, and Canadian Experience Class.
Eligible Candidates: Eligible candidates for these categories are entered into the Express Entry pool and assigned a ranking score based on factors such as age, education, work experience, and proficiency in English or French.
The highest-ranked candidates are invited to apply for Canadian permanent residence through regular draws from the pool.
Jack Dorsey’s Square set to acquire majority stake in Jay Z’s Tidal for $297 million
Jack Dorsey’s company, Square set to acquire Tidal, the streaming music service owned by Jay-Z for a $297 million deal.
Square, the mobile payments company owned by Jack Dorsey, announced on Thursday its plan to acquire a “significant majority” of Tidal, the streaming music service owned by Hip-hop music mogul, Jay-Z.
Square said it expects to pay $297 million, in a combination of cash and stock, for a stake in Tidal. Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter will join Square’s board, subject to the closing of the transaction while Tidal will operate independently within Square.
Existing artist shareholders will still remain stakeholders. Other Tidal artist-owners include Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Kanye West, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna.
In a tweet made by Jay-Z today, he highlighted that “from the beginning that TIDAL was about more than just streaming music, and six years later, it has remained a platform that supports artists at every point in their careers. Artists deserve better tools to assist them in their creative journey.”
He also commented that “Jack is one of the greatest minds of our times, and our many discussions about TIDAL’s endless possibilities have made me even more inspired about its future. This shared vision makes me even more excited to join the Square board.
“This partnership will be a game-changer for many. I look forward to all this new chapter has to offer!”
Jack Dorsey, who is CEO of both Square and Twitter, also commented on this deal “comes down to one simple idea: finding new ways for artists to support their work.”
“New ideas are found at intersections, and we believe there’s a compelling one between music and the economy. I knew Tidal was something special as soon as I experienced it, and it will continue to be the best home for music, musicians, and culture.”
Jesse Dorogusker, a Square executive will lead Tidal on an interim basis. He added that Square will offer financial tools to help Tidal’s artists collect revenue and manage their finances. “There are other tools they need to be successful and that we’re going to build for them,”.
What you should know
- Last month, Jack Dorsey and Jay-Z announced a Bitcoin fund focused on developing the cryptocurrency’s adoption in Africa and India.
- In 2017, Sprint bought a 33% stake in Tidal. This week, Jay-Z bought back those shares from T-Mobile (which acquired Sprint).
- Last month, Jay-Z announced that he would sell 50 percent of his champagne company, Armand de Brignac — better known as Ace of Spades — to LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton amid a downturn in the entertainment industry caused by the pandemic that has affected some of Jay-Z’s holdings.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala resumes first day as WTO Director-General
Dr Okonjo-Iweala officially resumed duty as the DG of the WTO today, March 1, 2021.
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former Nigerian Finance Minister and the first woman and African to be appointed as Director-General of the World Trade Organization resumed her first day of work as WTO chief.
This was disclosed in a social media statement on Monday morning by the WTO. Okonjo-Iweala said the WTO has lots of work to do and she feels ready to start
The trade organisation said: “Welcome to Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on her first day as WTO Director-General! She makes history as the first woman and first African to take up this post.”
On her first day, Dr. Iweala said she is “coming into one of the most important institutions in the world and we have a lot of work to do. I feel ready to go.”
Director-General @NOIweala & the chair of WTO fisheries subsidies talks @WillsSantiago welcomed civil society's plea for a successful conclusion to the negotiations, visiting today an ice sculpture set up in front of the WTO headquarters by the #StopFundingOverfishing coalition. pic.twitter.com/9Y5eN4Bh5y
— WTO (@wto) March 1, 2021
What you should know
- On February 15th 2021, Nigeria’s Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was officially appointed as the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation.
- The United States and former Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Joe Keshi pointed out that the only way Nigeria as a country can benefit from her appointment is by being productive.
- “She will not help you unless you are productive, she will not help you except you have something to sell, because her role as a DG of the World Trade Organization, the World Trade Organization is an organization that regulates global trade and except you have something to sell and you know put into the world market her role is to ensure that you get a fair deal and that you are not cheated in the whole process,” he said.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
- Seplat falls into a loss in FY 2020
Seplat Petroleum Development Company […]
- 2020 FY Results: Cornerstone Insurance Plc reports a 61.1% decline in profit
Cornerstone Insurance Plc has released […]
- Ellah Lakes increases operating expenses by 33.36% in HY 2020
Ellah Lakes Plc released its half-year […]
- 2020 FY Results: Nigerian Breweries reports a 54.3% decline in profits in 2020
Nigerian Breweries Plc released its […]
- Abbey Mortgage Bank projects N51.08 million profit in Q2 2020.
Abbey Mortgage Bank has released its […]