Despite the fact that both clubs displayed lackluster performances during the 2018/19 Champions League football competition, Real Madrid and Manchester United are still the two most valuable football clubs in the world.
The clubs attract an incredible number of fans, mega sponsorship deals, media licensing rights, bonuses, and so on.
However, for the first time in three years, there were some leapfrogging on the chart of the most valuable football clubs ranking. For example, Real Madrid CF leapfrogged Manchester United FC to clinch the top. Also, Bayern Munchen rose to the third, leapfrogging FC Barcelona which slipped to the 4th position.
Why the Changes? According to KPMG‘s annual football clubs valuation report, the revolution atop the chart is because both Manchester United FC and FC Barcelona suffered an annual decline in their Enterprise Value by 1% and 4% respectively. Also, having won the UEFA Champions League three times in a row, Real Madrid FC has cashed in significantly more UEFA prize money than Manchester United.
The top European elite club: Similarly, further changes among the European elite club for 2019 include Tottenham FC surpassing Juventus FC to hit the 9th position, as well as Arsenal FC dropping two spots to the 8th position behind Chelsea FC and Liverpool FC.
Ranking Metrics: Notably, the two 2019 UEFA Champion League finalists boasted remarkable financial performance in the past season, as Liverpool boosted its Enterprise Value (EV) by 33%, while Tottenham Hotspur FC EV increased by 31%. The key metrics reportedly used in ranking the football clubs in terms of valuation include the club finance and operations, social media analytics and players valuation.
The Billionaire Elite Clubs: Real Madrid CF tops the elite billionaire club list with a 10% year on year increase in total valuation after recording an estimated at €3.22 billion. It is followed by Manchester United with €3.20 billion valuations, while FC Bayern Munchen is worth €2.69 billion. Others include
- FC Barcelona – €2.69 billion
- Manchester City FC – 2.46 billion
- Chelsea FC – €2.22 billion
- Liverpool FC – 2.09 billion
- Arsenal FC – €2 billion
- Tottenham Hotspur FC – €1.67 billion
- Juventus FC – €1.54 billion
Most valuable squad in Europe: Among the top 10 clubs with the most valuables squads (players value) are;
- Manchester City – €1.18 billion
- FC Barcelona – €1,111 billion
- Liverpool – €1,038 billion
- Real Madrid – €958 billion
- Paris Saint-Germain FC – €906
- Tottenham Hotspur FC – €876
- Manchester United FC – €846
- Chelsea FC – €842
- Atletico de Madrid – €840
- Juventus FC – €788
Bottom Line: As the transfer window is set to be officially opened later this month, several transfer deals that have been reportedly completed by the top clubs will be announced. This is expected to witness some record-breaking transfers, as the Europe elite clubs heat up the market valuations and contest for titles in the coming season.
Therefore, it will be tough for clubs with lower budgets to compete with Europe’s elite clubs; particularly smaller clubs who appear already frozen out in the scheme of things.
Jack Dorsey’s Square set to acquire majority stake in Jay Z’s Tidal for $297 million
Jack Dorsey’s company, Square set to acquire Tidal, the streaming music service owned by Jay-Z for a $297 million deal.
Square, the mobile payments company owned by Jack Dorsey, announced on Thursday its plan to acquire a “significant majority” of Tidal, the streaming music service owned by Hip-hop music mogul, Jay-Z.
Square said it expects to pay $297 million, in a combination of cash and stock, for a stake in Tidal. Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter will join Square’s board, subject to the closing of the transaction while Tidal will operate independently within Square.
Existing artist shareholders will still remain stakeholders. Other Tidal artist-owners include Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Kanye West, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna.
In a tweet made by Jay-Z today, he highlighted that “from the beginning that TIDAL was about more than just streaming music, and six years later, it has remained a platform that supports artists at every point in their careers. Artists deserve better tools to assist them in their creative journey.”
He also commented that “Jack is one of the greatest minds of our times, and our many discussions about TIDAL’s endless possibilities have made me even more inspired about its future. This shared vision makes me even more excited to join the Square board.
“This partnership will be a game-changer for many. I look forward to all this new chapter has to offer!”
Jack Dorsey, who is CEO of both Square and Twitter, also commented on this deal “comes down to one simple idea: finding new ways for artists to support their work.”
“New ideas are found at intersections, and we believe there’s a compelling one between music and the economy. I knew Tidal was something special as soon as I experienced it, and it will continue to be the best home for music, musicians, and culture.”
Jesse Dorogusker, a Square executive will lead Tidal on an interim basis. He added that Square will offer financial tools to help Tidal’s artists collect revenue and manage their finances. “There are other tools they need to be successful and that we’re going to build for them,”.
What you should know
- Last month, Jack Dorsey and Jay-Z announced a Bitcoin fund focused on developing the cryptocurrency’s adoption in Africa and India.
- In 2017, Sprint bought a 33% stake in Tidal. This week, Jay-Z bought back those shares from T-Mobile (which acquired Sprint).
- Last month, Jay-Z announced that he would sell 50 percent of his champagne company, Armand de Brignac — better known as Ace of Spades — to LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton amid a downturn in the entertainment industry caused by the pandemic that has affected some of Jay-Z’s holdings.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala resumes first day as WTO Director-General
Dr Okonjo-Iweala officially resumed duty as the DG of the WTO today, March 1, 2021.
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former Nigerian Finance Minister and the first woman and African to be appointed as Director-General of the World Trade Organization resumed her first day of work as WTO chief.
This was disclosed in a social media statement on Monday morning by the WTO. Okonjo-Iweala said the WTO has lots of work to do and she feels ready to start
The trade organisation said: “Welcome to Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, on her first day as WTO Director-General! She makes history as the first woman and first African to take up this post.”
On her first day, Dr. Iweala said she is “coming into one of the most important institutions in the world and we have a lot of work to do. I feel ready to go.”
Director-General @NOIweala & the chair of WTO fisheries subsidies talks @WillsSantiago welcomed civil society's plea for a successful conclusion to the negotiations, visiting today an ice sculpture set up in front of the WTO headquarters by the #StopFundingOverfishing coalition. pic.twitter.com/9Y5eN4Bh5y
— WTO (@wto) March 1, 2021
What you should know
- On February 15th 2021, Nigeria’s Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was officially appointed as the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation.
- The United States and former Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Joe Keshi pointed out that the only way Nigeria as a country can benefit from her appointment is by being productive.
- “She will not help you unless you are productive, she will not help you except you have something to sell, because her role as a DG of the World Trade Organization, the World Trade Organization is an organization that regulates global trade and except you have something to sell and you know put into the world market her role is to ensure that you get a fair deal and that you are not cheated in the whole process,” he said.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
- 2020 FY Results: Cornerstone Insurance Plc reports a 61.1% decline in profit
Cornerstone Insurance Plc has released […]
- Ellah Lakes increases operating expenses by 33.36% in HY 2020
Ellah Lakes Plc released its half-year […]
- 2020 FY Results: Nigerian Breweries reports a 54.3% decline in profits in 2020
Nigerian Breweries Plc released its […]
- Abbey Mortgage Bank projects N51.08 million profit in Q2 2020.
Abbey Mortgage Bank has released its […]
- Dangote Sugar increases post tax profit by 33%, as earnings per share prints at N2.45
Dangote Sugar released its full-year […]