- The Nigerian Stock Exchange (The NSE or The Exchange) has announced the appointment of Mrs. Mojisola Ruth Adeola as the Council Secretary and Head of the Council Secretariat. Mrs. Adeola’s appointment follows on The Exchange’s decision to drive greater efficiency and innovation by separating its Legal Department from the Council Secretariat.
Mrs. Adeola, a lawyer and chartered secretary, has extensive company secretarial, legal and governance experience, having held prior relevant positions. Most recently, she served as Company Secretary/Legal Adviser to Acorn Petroleum Plc. She holds an LLB degree from the University of Lagos and qualified to practice as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 2005.
- Mrs. Adeola takes over from Ms. Tinuade Awe who served as Council Secretary from January 2011. Ms. Awe will remain at The Exchange as General Counsel and Head of the Legal and Regulation Division. In this role, she will focus on driving greater efficiency in The Exchange’s regulatory functions within the zero tolerance rubric, improving its relationship with other regulators, and preparing The Exchange for demutualization.
- Mrs. Irene Robinson-Ayanwale who previously headed both the Legal Department and the Council Secretariat retains her role as Head of the Legal Department where she will focus on protecting The Exchange from legal liability and providing first class legal support for The Exchange’s ongoing initiatives.
- Commenting on this development, Oscar N. Onyema, OON, Chief Executive Officer, NSE said
“The Executive Management and Council note the significant contributions of Mrs. Irene Robinson-Ayanwale who combined the two roles reporting to Ms. Awe prior to the appointment of Mrs Mojisola Ruth Adeola. I must also thank Ms. Tinuade Awe, who assumed the role of Council Secretary at a challenging time for The Exchange during the Interim Administration and was instrumental in building the governance structure currently at The Exchange. It gives me great pleasure to welcome Mrs Adeola to The Exchange and I wish her every success in her new role.”
- The Council Secretariat which is currently under the Legal and Regulation Division will now be one of a number of departments integrated into the Office of the Chief Executive Officer.