The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, over his alleged involvement in a N33.8 billion fraud linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.
The arrest was confirmed on Tuesday by EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, while addressing journalists during a press conference at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja.
The arrest comes just six days after a Federal High Court in Abuja sentenced the former minister to about 70 years imprisonment in a 12-count amended money laundering case instituted against him by the EFCC involving over N33 billion.
What the EFCC is saying
Olukoyede disclosed that the former minister was arrested in the early hours of Tuesday in Kaduna State alongside two individuals allegedly protecting him.
- “I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman, somewhere in Kaduna,” he said.
The EFCC chairman described the arrest as proof of the Federal Government’s commitment to tackling corruption and ensuring accountability for public officials accused of diverting government resources.
- “The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” Olukoyede said.
He added that the anti-graft agency would continue to investigate and prosecute both public and private individuals implicated in corruption-related offences.
- Olukoyede also revealed that the building where the former minister was apprehended is currently under investigation, while additional properties allegedly linked to the convict have also been uncovered
According to him, the EFCC has now intensified surveillance and intelligence operations involving high-profile corruption suspects to prevent defendants from escaping justice during ongoing court proceedings.
Get up to speed
The case against Mamman began after the EFCC filed charges against him in January 2025 over the alleged diversion of funds earmarked for the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.
- According to the commission, the former minister was accused of converting more than N33 billion meant for the execution of the critical power infrastructure projects.
- The EFCC said the prosecution lasted for about 14 to 15 months before the court secured a conviction on all 12 counts against the former minister earlier this month.
Olukoyede explained that judgment was initially delayed because Mamman failed to appear in court for sentencing proceedings.
- However, on May 13, the Federal High Court in Abuja proceeded to sentence him in absentia after finding him guilty of money laundering and fraud offences tied to the diversion of public funds.
The court subsequently ordered security agencies to track down the convict and ensure his transfer to a correctional facility.
Speaking during the briefing, Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo, said the process of transferring Mamman to a correctional centre was already underway following his arrest.
What you should know
Nigeria’s power sector has for years been plagued by inefficiencies, underinvestment, and corruption allegations, with millions of Nigerians continuing to experience regular electricity outages despite repeated government interventions and reforms.
The latest development comes at a sensitive period for the sector following the resignation of former Power Minister, Adebayo Adelabu, who stepped down from office to pursue elective office.
Following his resignation, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu appointed Joseph Olasunkanmi Tegbe as the new Minister of Power.
- The arrest is also coming at a time when electricity distribution companies (DisCos) are facing renewed financial pressure after the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) directed them to refund N20.33 billion to customers who purchased prepaid meters under the Meter Asset Provider (MAP) scheme.
The directive has added to mounting concerns around accountability, transparency, and financial management within Nigeria’s struggling electricity sector.












