A three-storey building collapsed at 32 Ibadan Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos on Sunday night.
This was disclosed by the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service on Sunday around 11pm via its Twitter handle.
According to the announcement, the rescue operations have started.
What the Lagos Fire and Rescue Service is saying
It tweeted, “An alert of a collapse of a three-storey building by 32 Ibadan Street, Ebute Meta was received at 21:48 hours, Sunday with Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service already at the scene.
“Search and Rescue ongoing with updates to follow, please.”
An alert of a collapsed of a three storey building by 32 Ibadan Street, Ebute Meta was received at 21:48 hours, Sunday with @LagosRescue at the scene.
— Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service (@LagosRescue) May 1, 2022
According to the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, 20 persons have been rescued alive while two who sustained severe injuries were taken to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital for treatment.
LASEMA Permanent Secretary, Olufemi Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu, said, “20 rescued alive out of the victims rescued two sustained severe injuries and have been taken to LASUTH for further treatment.”
In case you missed it
- On February 13, 2022, Nairametrics reported that a three-storey building had collapsed in the Onike area of Yaba, leading to several casualties
- The developer of the project was said to have returned to the site despite a stop-work order on the structure.
- The building, which was under construction, collapsed with 3 dead bodies recovered and 2 others rescued alive as some workers are still reportedly trapped under the rubble.
- This was confirmed by the Zonal Coordinator, Southwest, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, on Saturday in Lagos.
- Farinloye explained that a 3-Storey Building under construction at No. 16 Akanbi crescent, off Adesina Street, Harvey, Sabo, Yaba, collapsed trapping about five workers.
- Farinloye who had initially announced that 2 adult males were recovered dead with 2 others rescued alive, later revealed that one more dead body has been recovered from the building raising the death toll to 3, just as rescue efforts are still ongoing.
- The NEMA top official said that the building was said to have given signs with rubbles falling from it on Thursday.