Nigerian Stock market closed the week on a slightly positive note as the performance index, All-Share Index recorded a marginal growth of 0.06% to close at 38,943.87 points on Friday, 17th September 2021 compared to 38,921.78 points recorded as the end of the previous week.
This is contained in the weekly market report, for the week ended 3rd September 2021 as released by the Nigerian Exchange Group.
During the week, the equities market capitalisation gained N11 billion to close at N20.29 trillion compared to N20.28 trillion recorded in the previous week.
Recall that the market had recorded a decline of 0.86% in the previous week. However, the current positive rally in the market was driven by growths in the share price of UPDC, United Capital, N Nigeria Flour Mills, Morison Industries amongst others.
Equity Market Performance
The market recorded a total turnover of 856.29 million shares valued at N10.75 billion in 15,663 deals during the week compared to a total of 1.43 billion shares valued at N13.07 billion that exchanged hands last week in 19,315 deals.
- The Financial Services Industry led the activity chart by volume with 583.04 million shares worth N3.97 billion traded in 7,894 deals; thus contributing 68.09% and 36.93% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
- The Consumer Goods Industry followed with 62.96 million shares worth N3.197 billion in 2,579 deals.
- The ICT Industry was third on the list with a turnover of 45.75 million shares worth N1.65 billion in 775 deals.
- Trading in the top three equities by volume of shares were Access Bank Plc, Universal Insurance Plc and Wema Bank Plc, which accounted for 211.151 million shares worth N789.843 million in 1,403 deals; contributing 24.66% and 7.35% to the total equity turnover volume and value respectively.
- During the week Chemical and Allied Products listed an additional 88,259,50 ordinary shares of 50 kobo each, hereby increasing the company’s total listed shares to 788,259,520. Also, the entire 793,415,535 issued and outstanding shares of Portland Paints were delisted from the NGX’s Daily Official List effective, 17 September 2021.
- All other indices finished higher with the exception of NGX Banking, NGX Insurance, NGX MERI Growth, NGX Consumer Goods, NGX Oil/Gas and NGX Industrial Goods indices which depreciated by 0.79%, 0.58%, 0.12%, 0.21%, 3.35% and 0.24% respectively.
- However, the NGX ASeM, NGX Growth and NGX Sovereign Bond Indices remained unchanged.
Twenty-one (21) equities appreciated in price during the week, lower than twenty-five (25) equities in the previous week. Thirty-eight (38) equities depreciated in price, higher than thirty-four (34) equities in the previous week, while ninety- six (96) equities remained unchanged lower than ninety-seven (97) equities recorded in the previous week.
Exchange-Traded Products (ETPs)
A total of 106,810 units valued at N1.852 million were traded this week in 21 deals compared to a total of 2,016 units valued at N537,038.08 transacted last week in 10 deals.
The six items traded during the week, were, VETGRIF30, VETBANK, MERGROWTH, NEWGOLD, VETGOODS, and VETINDETF.
Fixed Income Securities Market
A total of 51,261 units valued at N52.911 million were traded this week in 26 deals compared with a total of 93,019 units valued at N99.809 million transacted last week in 39 deals.
The securities traded were, FGSUK2027S3, FGS202396, FGS202487, FG9B2022S1, FGS202166, FGSUK2024S1, and FGS202261.