One of the most efficient ways to reach a large group of people in today’s high-tech world is via the internet. In other to participate effectively in global commerce, you would need some form of online presence or the other.
One of the most pivotal aspects of a website is a good web address. A domain name is what forms a website address. An example of a domain name is web4africa.ng. The “web4africa” in this example is the name of the company while the .ng is the country-code top-level domain for Nigeria. In essence, .ng is intended for websites that target residents of Nigeria.
A domain name is not only used as the address for a website but is also deployed for creating email addresses and other web-related resources.
There are a lot of domain extensions one can choose from today. In fact, there are hundreds of them, thus offering a large pool one can choose from, for just about every industry.
- Food & Beverage
- Fun Domains
- Home & Construction
- Marketing & Communications
- News & Information
- Political & Military
- Real Estate
- Shopping & Retail
- Sports & Fitness
- Style & Fashion
In addition to these groups, once can also make use of .ng, especially where the website targets residents of Nigeria exclusively. Country-codes are typically better in instances like this and in the case of Nigeria, .ng is better.
Among .ng itself, there’s a range to choose from:
- .ng – general and open to anyone anywhere
- .com.ng – intended for Nigerian businesses but can be registered by anyone
- .edu.ng – strictly for Nigeria tertiary academic institutions only
- .gov.ng – strictly for Nigerian government entities only
- .i.ng – general and open
- .mobi.ng – open to anyone, but intended for websites targetted at mobile devices
- .name.ng – open, intended for personal Nigerian websites
- .net.ng – restricted to Nigeria Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
- .org.ng – open, intended for Nigerian non-profits
- .sch.ng – restricted to Nigerian schools that do not qualify for .edu.ng
Whether you choose to go for a more generic domain name extension or the Nigerian .ng, it is important to make the decision based on which is closest to your use case. Where your budget allows it, you may also register more than one domain name, and redirect one to the other.