This was disclosed by the Presidency via Twitter, as it announced that President Buhari forwarded the names of Gen Abayomi Olonisakin (Rtd ), Lt Gen Tukur Buratai (Rtd), Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (Rtd), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar (Rtd) & Air Vice Marshal Mohammed S Usman (Rtd), to the Senate for approval as non-career Ambassadors-Designate
The Presidency tweeted;
“In a letter to Senator Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan, President of the Senate, the President said: “In accordance with section 171 (1), (2) (c) & sub-section (4) of 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended, I have the honour to forward for confirmation by the Senate, the under-listed five (5) names of nominees as Non-Career Ambassadors-Designate.
“The nominees are: Gen Abayomi G. Olonisakin (Rtd), Lt Gen Tukur Y. Buratai (Rtd), Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (Rtd), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar (Rtd), and Air Vice Marshal Mohammed S. Usman (Rtd).
“The President urged the Senate to give expeditious consideration to the nominations.”
What you should know
- Recall Nairametrics reported that President Buhari appointed new Military Service Chiefs, and congratulated the outgoing Service Chiefs for efforts of “enduring peace to the country.”
- According to the Federal Civil Service rule, a military personnel is also expected to retire at 60 years or after putting in 35 years of service.
- Before last week’s retirement, the ex-Service Chiefs spent 36-40 years in service -far above their retirement age.
- The outgoing Service Chiefs were appointed by President Buhari in 2015 and despite clamour from several quarters for the President to replace them with fresh blood, nothing happened until the recent retirement.
- The new Chiefs are Major-General Leo Irabor, Chief of Defence Staff Major-General I. Attahiru, Chief of Army Staff Rear Admiral A.Z Gambo and Chief of Naval Staff Air-Vice Marshal I.O Amao, Chief of Air Staff.