Connect with us
Paramount
Advertisement
Ican
Advertisement
IZIKJON
Advertisement
Stanbic IBTC
Advertisement
Polaris bank
Advertisement
Binance
Advertisement
Esetech
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
Fidelity ads
Advertisement
app

Business

Update: NCC asks MTN, Airtel, others to block lines without NIN in 2 weeks

NCC has instructed telecommunications operators to block the SIM cards in 2 weeks.

Published

on

Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC set to probe telcos over N165 debt , NCC moves to track cybercriminals , Will there ever be a day the NCC withdraws a Nigerian telco’s license? , Brief comparison of telcos’ annual revenue reveals interesting disparities , Beware of fraudulent free internet bundle website, NCC warns Nigerians

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has instructed telecommunications operators like MTN, Airtel, Glo, 9Mobile and others to block all SIM cards that are not registered with the National Identity Numbers in two weeks.

This was disclosed by the Personal Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on New Media, Bashir Ahmad via his Twitter handle on Tuesday.

He tweeted, “The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has given telecommunications operators (MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9Mobile and others) in the country two weeks to block all SIM cards that are not registered with the National Identity Numbers (NIN), the Commission has said in a statement.”

Meanwhile, Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde
Director, Public Affairs, NCC, in a statement issued on Tuesday, explained that the decision is to consolidate the achievements of last year’s SIM registration audit and improve the performance and sanity of the sector.

He stated, “Following the earlier directive on the suspension of new SIM registration by network operators, the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim (Pantami) convened an urgent meeting of key stakeholders in the Communications industry on Monday, December 14, 2020.

“The meeting had in attendance the Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and Management of NCC, the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), as well as the CEOs and Management staff of all service providers in the industry.”

What you should know 

Nairametrics had reported when NCC instructed Mobile Network Operators to suspend the sale and activation of new SIM cards with immediate effect. The move is to allow an audit of the Subscriber Registration Database.

This was disclosed by the Director, Public Affairs at NCC, Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, in a statement issued on behalf of the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami and seen by Nairametrics.

He said it was absolutely necessary for operators to comply until the audit exercise had been concluded.

According to him, Pantami directed the commission to embark on an audit of the Subscriber Registration Database. He, however, said an exemption might be granted following approval from the Federal Government through the commission.

He warned that non-compliance with the directive would be met with strict sanctions, including the possibility of withdrawal of operating license.

bitcoin train

Binance

Abiola has spent about 14 years in journalism. His career has covered some top local print media like TELL Magazine, Broad Street Journal, The Point Newspaper.The Bloomberg MEI alumni has interviewed some of the most influential figures of the IMF, G-20 Summit, Pre-G20 Central Bank Governors and Finance Ministers, Critical Communication World Conference.The multiple award winner is variously trained in business and markets journalism at Lagos Business School, and Pan-Atlantic University. You may contact him via email - [email protected]

3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. Desmond

    December 16, 2020 at 1:26 am

    Foolish Decision. As usual, we don’t expect anything good from this administration

  2. Kene

    December 16, 2020 at 8:02 pm

    Wrong reasoning that will harm the industry and create more jobless people

  3. Tony Shittu

    December 17, 2020 at 7:12 am

    This is myopic. They did not take into consideration the difficulty people are experiencing in getting registered with the NIMC. The whole National Identity registration has been a failure from onset. For government to now wake up one day and tie people’s use of the GSM to a moribund project with a two week ultimatum, is unreasonable. Even a year ultimatum is too short. As someone rightly said, this unreasonable decision is typical.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertisement




Advertisement

Nairametrics | Company Earnings