The Federal Government has directed that the Marine Beach Bridge and the Eko Bridge in Lagos State will be reopened on Monday, October 19, 2020.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, SAN, on Saturday, via a statement signed by the Ministry’s Director of Press and Publicity, Boade Akinola, according to Punch.
It read, “After concluding urgently needed repair works on Eko and Marine Bridges in Lagos, the Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN, has directed that both bridges be reopened to traffic on Monday, October 19, 2020.”
According to the minister, the approval for the reopening of both bridges “was sequel to the report by the contractor handling the projects, Messrs. Buildwell Plant & Equipment Industries Limited that the repair works on the first phase had been completed 100 per cent.”
Back story: On July 23, Nairametrics reported that the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, revealed that the ongoing replacement of bearings and expansion joints on the Marine Beach Bridge in Apapa would be completed before the scheduled delivery date.
This was disclosed while Popoola supervised the lifting up of the beams of some sections of the bridge. He pointed out that the project, which began in May, had recorded 30% completion so as to deliver it ahead of schedule.
Popoola said, “They (contractors) are supposed to have changed 36 bearings but as at today, they have changed about 60. So we are ahead of time because they were supposed to achieve that target by end of August.
“So, by that August, they will be laying asphalt on top of the bridge, so we are ahead of the scheduled time. We are working on the Apapa bound lane now and after completion we will now change to another lane, we are working section by section.”
Just-in: #EndSARS: Hillary Clinton tells President Buhari to stop killing young protesters
Clinton has called on President Buhari and the Nigerian Army to stop the killing of young protesters in the country.
Former US Presidential Candidate, Hillary Clinton has called on President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration and the Nigerian Army to stop the killing of young protesters in the country.
The wife of former US President, Bill Clinton, said, “I’m calling on @mbuhari and the @hqnigerianarmy to stop killing young #EndSARS protesters. #StopNigeriaGovernment.”
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) October 20, 2020
Hilary’s message to President Buhari comes on the heels of shootings carried out by men of the Nigerian Army targeted at #EndSARS protesters who gathered for a peaceful demonstration at the Lekki toll plaza.
Details later …
Just-in: #EndSARS: GTBank on Admiralty, Lekki allegedly on fire
A GTBank branch was allegedly set ablaze by some hoodlums that disguised as #EndSARS protesters.
#EndSARS: Lagos orders investigation of Lekki Toll Plaza shooting
The Lagos State Government has ordered an investigation into the alleged shooting of #EndSARS protesters at Lekki toll gate.
The Lagos State Government has ordered an investigation into the Lekki Toll Plaza shooting that was allegedly done by some men of the Nigerian Army on Tuesday evening.
This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Commissioner of Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, and shared via the state’s Twitter handle.
It stated, “There have been reports of shooting at the Lekki Toll Plaza, following the 24-hour curfew imposed on Lagos State to stop criminals, who hid under the #EndSARS protests to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.
“The State Government has ordered an investigation into the incident.
“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish.”
According to the statement, Governor Sanwo-Olu advised Lagosians to remain calm and not allow criminals, who have hijacked the noble protest of our gallant youths, to succeed in their evil plan of turning our dear state upside down.
Omotoso assured that the Governor will do everything within his power to ensure that the lives of all Lagosians are protected at all times.
There have been reports of shooting at the Lekki Toll Plaza, following the 24-hour curfew imposed on Lagos State to stop criminals who hid under the #EndSARS protests to unleash mayhem on innocent citizens.@jidesanwoolu @drobafemihamzat @gbenga_omo @gboyegaakosile #LASG pic.twitter.com/wP0dsQ3sBD
— The Lagos State Govt (@followlasg) October 20, 2020
Nairametrics had earlier reported that the Lagos State Government announced the imposition of a 24-hour curfew in all parts of the state, with effect from 4 pm, which was later shifted to 9pm Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
This is due to the raging #EndSARS protests and demonstrations in the state which has been hijacked by criminals and hoodlums, with attacks on innocent citizens and destruction of properties.