The Chairman of Flutterwave, Mr. Tunde Lemo, has allegedly revealed that he personally directed the suspension of the fintech firm’s payment platform.
According to a report from Thisday, Tunde Lemo, a former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and current Chairman of Federal Emergency Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA), said the decision was taken to prevent the illicit flow of funds through the payment channel.
This explanation is coming against the background of reports that the Federal Government, through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had summoned the fintech firm over the handling of funds for the #EndSARS protests and also the freezing of accounts of a Feminist Coalition group, a pro-#EndSARS women group.
He said, “I was the one that instructed them to shut down their system yesterday when the bad guys were moving money through them.”
As of Tuesday, a total of N16,706,635.9 had been donated into the account, according to a post on Flutterwaves’ official Twitter handle. This includes donations in foreign currencies.
The organizers of the protest have been using donations to fund medical supplies, food, drinks, legal aids, and others to sustain the protest.
However, in a reaction, Flutterwave said that its Chairman never made such statement and their payment platform is not shutdown but is up and running efficiently.
Inferno razes down SUBEB office in Ondo State
The SUBEB annex office in Akure, Ondo State has been razed down by a mysterious fire.
The Ondo State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) annex office in Oke Eda, Akure has been allegedly razed down by fire. The inferno affected the marketing office of the state government-owned television station, which also housed the building.
The cause of the inferno still remains unknown, as investigations are underway.
What you should know
Recently there have been reported cases of arson, lootings, and killings perpetrated by hoodlums. It is yet to be known if this incident is related to the hijacked #EndSARS protests.
What they are saying
Confirming the incident, an anonymous staff opined that the fire incident might have happened overnight. She also said that all buildings and files in the offices were affected by the fire.
“All the buildings, because it was made of wood, are gone. It was completely burnt.
“We can’t lay our hands on anything. Everything in the office is gone,” she said.
Ebute Metta Railway station will be completed by December – Presidency
President Buhari’s aide has disclosed that Ebute Metta Railway Station is expected to be completed in the next two months.
The Ebute Metta Railway Station, one of the stations on the Lagos-Ibadan railway route is expected to be completed by December 2020.
This is according to the Personal Assistant on New Media to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Bashir Ahmad, who disclosed this on Monday, through his verified Twitter handle.
The Ebute Metta Railway Station, one of the stations on the Lagos-Ibadan Railway route is nearly completed, the station and other stations on the route are expected to be completed by December. #PMBAtWork
— Bashir Ahmad (@BashirAhmaad) October 25, 2020
Mr. Ahmad further revealed that the station and other stations on the route are expected to be completed by December.
“The Ebute Metta Railway station, one of the stations on the Lagos-Ibadan Railway route is nearly completed, the station and other stations on the route are expected to be completed by December,” he tweeted.
What you should know
Nairametrics had earlier revealed that the $1.6 billion Lagos-Ibadan railway project will be completed on or before January 2021. This is according to a forecast by the honorable Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi.
Why it matters
The near completion status of the Ebute Metta railway station is a big boost to achieving the completion of the Lagos-Ibadan railway project. The railway project will help in decongesting our roads and enable the roads to last longer.
This is a big boost to the government’s drive to build strategic infrastructures that will drive economic growth and development.
7 stowaways, including Nigerians, arrested after suspected hijacking off Isle of Wight
Seven suspects were detained after a hijacking involving stowaways on a tanker off the Isle of Wight.
7 stowaways, including Nigerians on board a Liberian registered oil tanker heading for England have been detained, after a suspected hijacking off the coast of Isle of Wight.
This was announced by the UK’s Ministry of Defence and several British News Media on Sunday evening.
In response to a police request, the Defence Secretary and Home Secretary authorised Armed Forces personnel to board a ship in the English Channel to safeguard life and secure a ship that was subject to suspected hijacking. (1/2)
— Ministry of Defence 🇬🇧 (@DefenceHQ) October 25, 2020
The Ministry of Defence said: “In response to a police request, the Defence Secretary and Home Secretary authorised Armed Forces personnel to board a ship in the English Channel to safeguard life and secure a ship that was subject to suspected hijacking.
“Armed forces have gained control of the ship and seven individuals have been detained. Police investigations will now continue. Initial reports confirm the crew are safe and well.”
According to BBC, the ship, Nave Andromeda, was on its way to the Fawley oil refinery in Southampton from Lagos, Nigeria and left Nigeria on the 5th of October.
“According to a source close to the shipping company, the crew were aware of stowaways on board, but the stowaways became violent towards the crew while it was off the Isle of Wight.
“The crew retreated to the ship’s citadel, a secure area in which they can lock themselves, making it impossible for attackers to get in.
“This is standard procedure during a terrorist or pirate attack, but there is no suggestion the crew were doing more than protecting themselves from the stowaways. The crew contacted the coastguard, which then alerted police.
“The men, from Nigeria and Liberia, waved metal poles and threw faeces and urine after being found hiding on the Grande Tema,” BBC said.
The British Chairman of the Commons Defence Committee, Tobias Ellwood, said the stowaways taking over the ship, or forcing the ship not to be in command could have triggered a ” multi-agency alarm” which caused protocols to be put into action.