The University of Cambridge estimates that the number of global digital-asset users has increased by 189% since 2018.
In its new global crypto-asset research findings, the Cambridge Center for Alternative Finance (CCAF) revealed up to “101 million unique crypto-asset users across 191 million accounts opened at service providers in Q3 [of] 2020.”
The Cambridge Center for Alternative Finance disclosed that the sharp surge may be due to both an increase in the number of existing accounts, as well as a heightened ability to connect individuals to those accounts.
Though staking in the digital asset sector is primarily driven by retail investors, the CCAF’s report also finds that a growing number of European and American institutional investors wish to expose their portfolios to crypto assets.
According to the September report, BTC remains the most commonly available crypto asset across service providers.
However, Ethereum has quickly grown inaccessibility, to become the second most supported token followed by Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Ripple
- While firms continue to serve users from their regions of operations, North American, Middle Eastern, and African companies appear to have a more geographically diversified clientele.
- Service providers in both regions report that 42% of their customers are from other regions – primarily in Europe for MEA firms and Latin America for North American ones.
- Service providers operationally headquartered in North America and Europe indicate that business and institutional clients make up 30% of their customers.
- This figure is much lower for APAC and Latin American firms at 16% and 10% respectively.
- The composition of business and institutional clientele differs from region to region. While North American and European firms primarily serve crypto asset hedge funds and traditional institutional investors, Middle Eastern and African service providers that cater to non-retail clients focus on online merchants (50%).
Why a number of investors are trading stocks through blockchain
More than half (56%) of Robinhood account holders are considering leaving the platform as a result of the fiasco.
The recent outrage by WallStreetBets over the temporary suspension of GameStop (GME) and a few other stocks has led a significant number of stock traders to seek other viable means of trading stocks.
Recent data retrieved from Fortune Magazine revealed that such fiasco which led to the suspension of trading such stocks by leading American stock trading app, Robinhood, has severely damaged its brand.
More than half (56%) of Robinhood account holders are considering leaving the platform as a result of the fiasco. 40% of Robinhood investors say they aren’t considering it, and 4% say they’ve already left the platform as a result of its stock limiting. It looks like Robinhood is learning the lesson Warren Buffett preached for years: “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.”
Blockchain technology is already revolutionizing financial system services. This technology has made the need for a third party unnecessary in transactions or access to the stock market. Conventionally, buying stocks usually requires a stockbroker, paperwork, or a long list of financial assessments.
Unlike regularly traded stocks, tokenized stocks do not require any sort of paperwork or the need for a stockbroker as a middle-man, which makes them free from the stockbroker’s fees.
Tokenized stocks are derivatives assets. This simply means that the price of a tokenized stock is determined by the price of the company’s stock. If a particular asset is traded at a certain price on a stock market, the same price or a little difference in price will be traded on different exchanges.
Tokenized stocks are digitalized forms of a company’s stock traded on secondary markets. What this means is that Tesla, Apple, Facebook, etc. stocks can be traded on a crypto exchange. Trading Tesla’s stocks, for instance, on crypto exchanges makes it easily accessible to purchase anywhere.
Tokenized Gold, Silver, Tesla, etc. are traded on FTX Exchange and other leading crypto exchanges where spot markets and futures can also be traded.
What you must know: The group tagged as the Wallstreetbets is a longstanding subreddit channel founded in 2012, where many Reddit users discuss highly speculative trading strategies and ideas.
- The group has caused huge disruption to financial markets in the previous week, especially among institutional investors like Melvin Capital who recently recapitalized their fund amid its losing positions at Gamestop.
- Stock traders are becoming concerned that hot trending stocks such as GameStop, rising at such an alarming rate might lead to great chaos at global financial markets, in the long run.
That said, tokenized stocks are traded round the clock like crypto assets, though the flip-side is, they can’t be liquidated when the traditional market is closed.
Bitcoin’s bloodbath leads crypto market drop by $120 billion
The global crypto market cap is $1.41 trillion, an 8.23% decrease over the last day.
The bearish grip in the crypto market has led to heavy losses of crypto investors’ funds at the wrong side of the current trade, as roughly $120 billion worth of crypto assets evaporated into thin air within a day.
The flagship crypto that surged to a record price level of over $58,000 last weekend has now depreciated by over $11,000, as the present price shows that it trades around the $46,800 price level.
The global crypto market cap is $1.41 trillion, an 8.23% decrease over the last day.
- The total crypto market volume over the last 24 hours is $151.74 billion, which makes an 8.97% decrease.
- The total volume in DeFi is currently $13.96 billion, 9.20% of the total crypto market daily volume.
- The volume of all stable coins is now $123.76 billion, which is 81.56% of the total crypto market daily hour volume.
- Bitcoin’s price is currently $46,765.78.
- Bitcoin’s dominance is currently 61.63%, an increase of 0.10% over the day.
- For the day, 130,475 traders were liquidated.
- The largest single liquidation order happened on Binance-BTC valued at $3.56 million
Other leading crypto assets that include Ethereum, XRP, Litcoin, Chainlink, Binance coin, and Stellar lost more than 9% in value at the time of writing this report.
In addition, recent data suggest that the world’s biggest digital asset manager has seen its $32 billion Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (ticker GBTC) plunge by 20% this week alone, according to Bloomberg News, outpacing a 13% decline seen in the price of Bitcoin lately.
This suggests that after lots of money was poured into GBTC, as institutional investors sought exposure to Bitcoin’s dizzying rally, investors are now taking their exits as the current bullish rally seems to have stalled.
Sell-off in the crypto market is likely due to widespread profit-taking by global investors, coupled with strong anxiety that leading financial regulators might clamp down on its reach.
Some weeks ago, leading United Kingdom financial regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority, issued a piece of stern advice on crypto investments.
The statement highlighted the risks associated with investing in Bitcoin and other crypto-assets, and warned the public that there were high chances that all their funds could be lost.
“The FCA is aware that some firms are offering investments in crypto assets or lending or investments linked to crypto assets, that promise high returns.
“Investing in crypto assets, or investments and lending linked to them generally involves taking very high risks with investors’ money. If consumers invest in these types of products, they should be prepared to lose all their money,” said the FCA.
That said, a significant number of crypto investors appear to be shrugging off the huge falls as another typical bump on the crypto path, and one which, no doubt, will likely see crypto trading volume return as crypto investors look to buy what many are viewing as a bargain to buy in what is still very much a bullish run.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
- 2020 FY: Zenith Bank post N230.6 billion profit after tax
Zenith Bank Plc released its […]
- Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc boosts post tax profits by 25.9%
Mutual Benefits Assurance Plc released […]
- 2020 FY Results: Prestige Assurance Plc reports a 50.44% increase in profit.
Prestige Assurance Plc released its […]
- John Holt falls deeper into losses
John Holt Plc released its […]
- Sales volumes crash for Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc
Northern Nigeria Flour Mills Plc […]