Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has declared Raymond Igbalode, also known as Hushpuppi, wanted in relation to several money laundering crimes being investigated by the anti-graft agency.
According to a tweet on the official handle of the anti-graft agency, most of the transactions involve high profile cyber criminals in Nigeria who are already facing trial, and some who are still at large.
Ray Hushpuppi Has A Case To Answer With EFCC pic.twitter.com/3cdX70Qvv4
— EFCC Nigeria (@officialEFCC) June 18, 2020
Referring to him as Nigeria’s most wanted hacker, EFCC confirmed that he was arrested on Wednesday, June 10 by the INTERPOL in the United Arab Emirates, and stated that EFCC is engaging with the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), “in tracing victims of his fraudulent transactions and other fraudsters having direct involvement with him”.
“The Commission is familiar with grisly details of his money laundering transactions, involving many high-profile cyber criminals facing trial in Nigeria”, EFCC said in its tweet.
Several local cyber criminals with money-laundering networks connected to him are also being investigated, even as the INTERPOL expedites plans to extradite him to Nigeria to face multiple fraud charges.
Several Twitter users have reacted to the tweet, asking the commission to stay away from the case and let the FBI handle its investigations.
Some of the tweets referred to a similar scenario, months ago, where EFCC took up Mompha’s case from the FBI but eventually granted him bail. Others simply expressed doubts in the justice system, and advised that he be left with the INTERPOL to face stiffer penalties.
Raymond Igbalode has been quite popular as an Instagram celebrity, with the alias, Ray Hushpuppi, and much of his following is attributed to the exotic lifestyle and properties which he shows off on the social media.
Hushpuppi and his colleagues were arrested in Dubai by International Police (Interpol) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) over alleged fraud.
Ray Hushpuppi’s arrest was captured on camera by an individual and posted on Instagram, after which the post went viral.
While INTERPOL has said that Hushpuppi and his accomplices were allegedly involved in fraud and money laundering of over $100 million meant for unemployed Americans, EFCC’s tweet also links him to the $35million ventilator scam.
He recently posted a picture of a newly acquired 2020 Rolls Royce Cullinan, estimated to be worth about N280 million.
View this post on Instagram
May success and prosperity not be a “once upon a time” story in your life… 🙏. Thank you lord for the many blessings in my life 🙏🙏 continue to shame those waiting for me to be shamed 🙏🙏🙏 #RollsRoyce #RoyceRoyceCullinan #RR #AllMine #EeCarryStarLight #EeCarryShootingStars #EpainThem
He also does regular give-aways and freebies on his Instagram account, asking followers to inbox their account details to receive the gifts. Up until last year, his Instagram profile read, ‘the Billionaire Gucci master’ but he changed it to ‘real estate developer’ after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission arrested one of his associates – Ismaila Mustapha, also known as Mompha.
Mompha has since been granted bail by the Commission, and even celebrated his birthday recently, sharing pictures of a cake designed as a bag filled with foreign currencies, and a picture of himself sitting on a Lexus car.
3 startups to get N3 million grant each in the COVID-19 virtual hackathon
The hackathon hopes to identify accessible and cost-effective E-Learning solutions for public schools.
The Nigerian Communications Commission has announced that 3 finalist startups will get a grant of N3 million each at the end of the COVID-19 virtual hackathon.
These three startups will be selected from submitted entries that meet all the criteria and provide adaptable digital solutions for addressing the present and future impacts of pandemic and epidemic diseases.
The solutions must be novel, clearly explained, with proof of concept
NCC announced this through a statement published on its Twitter handle.
The grant, it said, will enable the three startups with the most promising digital solutions to produce a prototype within 2 months of receipt.
According to the statement, submitted entries are expected to provide solutions in sectors such as health, digital communications, education, transportation.
For those in health, the solutions should find a way to empower frontline healthcare workers or prevent, trace, and contain the spread in Nigeria.
Solutions in digital communications are expected to aid the sustenance of economic activities and people-to-people communication while encouraging social distancing without compromising productivity.
Download the Nairametrics News App
The hackathon also hopes to identify accessible and cost-effective E-Learning solutions for public schools, as well as improved safety measures in public transportation in Nigeria.
Interested tech hubs, startups and innovative digital SMEs can still submit entries on or before July 17, 2020.
Hushpuppi extradited to the United States
Hushpuppi and Woodberry were arrested along with ten other African suspects in an operation tagged “Fox Hunt 2”.
Alleged Nigerian fraudsters, Raymond Igbalode Abbas (Hushpuppi) and Olalekan Jacon Ponle (Woodberry) have been extradited to the United States, according to a statement by the Dubai police.
In an announcement on Thursday afternoon, the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Christopher Wray praised the “exceptional effort exerted by the United Arab Emirates”, in fighting transnational organized cybercrime including the arrest of Hushpuppi and Woodberry taken down in the operation Fox Hunt 2.
Director Wray also praised Dubai’s police for their cooperation in extraditing the “unwanted criminals”, who committed money-laundering and multiple cybercrimes to the United States”.
Hushpuppi and Woodberry were arrested along with ten other African suspects in the special operation “ Fox Hunt 2”.
The suspects are accused of committing crimes outside the UAE, including money-laundering, hacking, criminal impersonation, cyber fraud, banking fraud and identity theft.
The Dubai CID, Brigadier Jamal Salem Al Jallaf said incriminating documents were found of planned frauds worth a total of $435 Million.
Also seized in the arrest were $40.9 million in cash, 12 luxury cars valued at $6.8 million, 21 Computer Devices, 47 Smartphones, 15 memory sticks and five hard disks containing “119,580 fraud files as well as addresses of 1,926,400 victims.”
— Dubai Policeشرطة دبي (@DubaiPoliceHQ) July 2, 2020
Facebook bans racist ads, in response to ad boycotts by big brands
Nearly 100 brands resolved to pull their ads in support of the #StopHateForProfit movement.
Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has announced a change in the company’s policies to now prohibit hate speech and racist content in its advertisement.
Speaking over the weekend, Zuckerberg explained that the new policy will ban advertisements “that claim people from a specific race, ethnicity, nationality, caste, gender, sexual orientation or immigration origin are a threat to the physical safety or health of anyone else”
Also, Facebook will do more to protect immigrants, migrants, refugees, and asylum-seekers from ads that suggest they are inferior to other groups of people or from ads that express contempt, dismissal or disgust directed at them.
In a Bloomberg interview, the CEO had noted that the company will ensure that Facebook remains a place where everyone can use their voice to discuss important issues, but that any attempt to incite violence, suppress voting, or discriminate a group of people, will be checked.
Why the policy change?
This change in policy comes after a weeklong tussle with advertisers with nearly 100 brands resolving to pull their ads from Facebook for the month of July or longer, as part of the #StopHateForProfit movement.
The movement is being backed by organizations such as the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP, Sleeping Giants, Color of Change, Free Press and Common Sense.
We will join #StopHate4Profit and stop posting on @Facebook for the month of July. We are taking this action to protest the platform’s irresponsible propagation of hate speech, racism, and misleading voter information. We encourage clients and our own people to join us.
— Goodby Silverstein (@GSP) June 24, 2020
Although Zuckerberg made no mention of these boycotts, it would appear that this is a move to pacify advertisers, and prevent competitor platforms like Pinterest, Amazon and —- from swooping in to take advantage of the situation.
That movement protests “Facebook’s repeated failure to meaningfully address the vast proliferation of hate on its platforms.”
The brands boycotting the platform includes big spenders like Unilever, Coca-cola and Verizon, as well as some other smaller companies like Patagonia, REI, Lending Club and The North Face, according to a running list from Sleeping Giants.
It is not certain how much impact this would have on the company’s finances, given that Facebook has over 8 million advertisers on its platform, the bigger brands may soon influence more companies to join the movement.
The companies had explained during the week that Facebook was not the target of the movement but to drive home a message on the moderation of bigoted and prejudiced contents.
Remember that the #StopHateForProfit campaign is not about damaging Facebook’s bottom line, it’s about a broader reckoning around the platform’s lack of moderation of hate and disinformation.
Advertisers don’t want to sponsor violent, bigoted content or lies.
— Sleeping Giants (@slpng_giants) June 26, 2020
There is yet no hint as to whether the brands are pleased with Facebook’s new move, but it is clear that if the boycotts continue, the brands will likely shift their ad spending to other companies.
While announcing its decision to stop ads on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter in the U.S. for the rest of the year, Luis Di Como, EVP of Global Media, said in a statement;
“We are actively engaging with all digital platforms to make meaningful change and impact trust and transparency,” the statement said. “We have made substantial progress, and we acknowledge the efforts of our partners, but there is much more to be done, especially in the areas of divisiveness and hate speech during this polarized election period in the U.S.”
He added that the company will explore other media options for its ads in the U.S. in a bid to discourage “divisiveness and hate speech during this polarized election period in the U.S.”
According to marketing analytics firm Pathmatics, Unilever has spent more than $11.8 million in the U.S. this year on Facebook ads alone .
Coca-Cola CEO and Chairman, James Quincey, said in his statement that the company was not joining the official boycott like other big brands, but was only pausing ads on all social media platforms globally for the month of July.
“We will take this time to reassess our advertising policies to determine whether revisions are needed. We also expect greater accountability and transparency from our social media partners” he said.