nairametrics

Coronavirus

NIRSAL explains why it is not disbursing N50 billion CBN loan

Lockdown around Kano, Lagos, Port Harcourt, and incidentally Kaduna and they constitute a significant part of the applicants that applied for the loans.

400,000 people benefit from NIRSAL scheme , NIRSAL pledges funding support for farmers, NIRSAL explains why it is not yet disbursing N50b CBN facility

As part of the stimulus package announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to help mitigate the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the economy and businesses, the apex bank introduced an N50 billion Targeted Credit Facility (TCF) in March 2020, to support households and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) that have been affected by the pandemic.

The facility from CBN, which is to be disbursed through the NIRSAL Microfinance Bank Ltd (NMBL), had recorded about 80,000 applications as at April.

However, this program has not been without some hiccups with many applicants complaining about difficulties in assessing the facility.

During an interview with ChannelsTV, the Managing Director of NIRSAL Microfinance Bank Plc, Abubakar Kure, explained why there were difficulties in disbursing the facility to the applicants.

(READ MORE: Covid-19: CBN wants to fund research for Nigerian Made vaccines)

GTBank 728 x 90

He disclosed that the nationwide lockdown and restrictions had been a major challenge to the smooth processing of the facility. This was also compounded by the inability of some of the applicants to secure guarantors.

CBN-Governor-Emefiele, Investors’ and Exporters’ forex window aided Naira stability – Emefiele , external reserves, Financial Inclusion: CBN licensed 15 mobile money operators – Emefiele , Rates continue to decline as banks struggle to meet CBN’s 65% minimum LDR, CBN releases new guidelines, to fine banks N2 million over customers’ complaint , CBN: FG fell short of monthly allocated collected revenue by N388 billion, CBN issues new rule for use of PoS, merchants to face sanction after deadline, CBN may devalue naira in 2020 as experts highlight red flags in the economy, CBN appoints and redeploys directors within its ranks, Banks look to lending rates for revenue, as slash on e-transaction charges affect operations, CBN discloses currency in circulation worth N2.44 trillion, CBN to commence recycling of mutilated naira notes, Agriculture: CBN's revised policy on the dairy industry, CBN condemns foreign money transfers to Nigeria, Experts outline effect of CBN’s longer term contract, Bank’s lending rates decline albeit slower than expected, CBN releases new capital base, sanctions for Microfinance Banks, CBN reveals banks’ foreign assets rise to N14.19 trillion in 2019, CBN insists on no devaluation, threatens to sanction those responsible for false speculations, CBN considers interest rate cut as trade, economy decline over Coronavirus, Defending the naira at a cost, CBN announces initial policy response to COVID-19, CBN stops oil companies from selling dollar to NNPC, here’s why, Amid Coronavirus spread, CBN directs staff to stay at home, External reserves to fall below $30 billion, more forex restrictions expected, UPDATE: Fitch downgrades Nigeria's IDR to "B", says CBN's remedial policy not enough, What constitutes Nigeria’s external reserves?, CBN to create housing funds for developers, Nigeria Trade: CBN reviews exchange rate for cargo imports, Nigerian Fintechs re-strategize with CBNs’ postponement of revised MFB license regulations, NIRSAL explains why it is not yet disbursing N50b CBN facility

CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele

According to Kure, “You are all aware of the lockdown across the country and major cities. We have lockdown around Kano, Lagos, Port Harcourt, and incidentally Kaduna. So all these major cities constitute a significant part of the applicants who applied for COVID [loans]. We are actually thinking outside the box to see how we can reach them so that they can come and have the loans.

Coronation ads

Currently what we do is that we are using digitalization in the form of emails. We send emails to those who have email accounts, we print their offer letters, send back to them, do the documentations and they are able to drawdown.

‘’The most important thing is about the lockdown and that’s why the credit facility was created. It also constitutes a challenge.”

Going further he said, ‘’We are improving our processes, systems, people to be able to meet up with the expectations. You are fully aware that this loan is for a short term. It’s a short term seamless package by Central Bank intended to cushion the effect on businesses and people. However, because of the lockdown and the restriction of people, there have been delays. We have also noticed the issue around guarantors.”

(READ MORE: CBN pumps funds into FOREX market through Wholesale SMIS)

The NMFB boss, while explaining, also encouraged qualified individuals to come forward and guarantee the approved applicants because they had viable businesses. He said that the ones that had been evaluated were very successful SMEs with the capacity to pay back.

Jaiz bank ads

NIRSAL explains why it is not yet disbursing N50b CBN facility

Stanbic IBTC

On why the difficulty in disbursing the credit facility considering that it was supposed to be a short term facility to cater for businesses and households during the period of pandemic and lockdown, Mr Kure said, “This is a loan and not a grant, you are required to sign offer letters in terms of documentation that need to be signed so that it requires physical interaction between the bank i.e. NIRSAL Microfinance bank as well as the customers. So customers are unable to even come to sign the documentations and customers are even unable to get guarantors.”

However, as part of the solution to this challenge, Kure said the bank was trying to enlighten the customers about other channels of payment like mobile applications and the USSD. He said that those that we’re able to finish their documentation and sign offer letters, a fundamental aspect of the loan, could drawdown.

On the number of applicants that had benefitted so far from the facility, the NMFB MD said, “If you go to our website, we have over 1000 applicants that are enjoying the facilities. The buildup is expected in a few days to come.”

(READ MORE: IMF approves $1 billion for Ghana to fight COVID-19)

He also disclosed that NIRSAL Microfinance bank had received N5 billion from CBN for about 5,000 applicants and they hoped to disburse about 90% of that in a few weeks to come.

This disbursement from the apex bank was collaborated by CBN’s Director for Development Finance, Yusuf Yila, who said that they had disbursed N5 billion for 5,000 applicants through the NMFB.

On the kind of collateral needed for small businesses, Kure said they were usually soft collaterals that ranged from guarantors to movable assets like cars, equipment, and so on, unlike large volume ticket collaterals for big businesses. He said the most important thing to consider in the approval was the cash flow and the ability to pay back the facility.

He also disclosed that the households constituted about 65% of the applications that were received.

Chike Olisah is a graduate of accountancy with over 15 years working experience in the financial service sector. He has worked in research and marketing departments of three top commercial banks. Chike is a senior member of the Nairametrics Editorial Team. You may contact him via his email- [email protected]

1. Franklin Chukwudi

May 20, 2020 at 10:29 am

Good morning sir

I was called to come and sign the offer letter since Monday 11/05/2020 at their Abeokuta office and also account opening documents and as of today 20/05 /2020 no funds, no updates and no account number

Best regards

• Ismail Tijjani

June 18, 2020 at 12:54 pm

I want to register the site is not going Sir please can you help me to continue my business thanks.

• Iliya kefas

June 18, 2020 at 11:12 pm

How can I submit my application letter

• Anonymous

July 22, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Please what is the website please

2. Olu Seun

May 20, 2020 at 11:13 am

NISRAL are not sincere in their dealings,reason why this country refuse to move forward.
    Imagine a country of over 200million people, only 1000 people benefited so far meaning all they care about is their own immediate family because if at the end of the day people failed to meet up their stringent policy to receive the loan,they will divert it to their family since they know what they want before loan can be granted to Nigerian.. It is well

• Doks

May 22, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Nirsal microfinance are guilty of fake news. Nigerians need genuine helper during this Covid 19, not a misleading one.

• Modebelu chinonye bibian

November 11, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Please sir, I made a mistake and inpute my name where I was supposed to input my bank name, please sir, is there anything I can do to correct that?. Will be waiting for your reply sir. Thank you

May 20, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Taraba state applicants are yet to receive invitation for interview. What’s going on?

• Promise

May 20, 2020 at 6:05 pm

The custodians/ managers of the loan are not sincere about the process. I applied for the same loan but was told that they will get back to me in the next 72hrs yet no response till date after a month plus. The government should investigate those in charge if it’s really meant for Nigerians

• Mcfrancis Nnaji

May 22, 2020 at 2:35 pm

We are on the same page… No response from then over a month now.

• Apeekaa

July 1, 2020 at 10:30 pm

Is because FG want leave tarabans with their crises TIV and JUKUMS

4. Henry

May 20, 2020 at 5:35 pm

The loan is for northerners. Don’t waste your pen and paper.

5. Umar Mohammed

May 20, 2020 at 9:18 pm

We are proud of your work sir may God continue help the organization yours umar Mohammed from Maiduguri

• Fadeyi Kayode

June 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I have receive mail for more than 3 times yet to forward my lian

6. Minana

May 20, 2020 at 9:31 pm

It is well, the whole process is taking too long.Some much delay in sending reply to enable an individual know if he or she qualified.

• Grace Joseph

June 25, 2020 at 5:30 am

Sir I apply they are saying maximum number of people have responded to the form

7. Minana

May 20, 2020 at 9:31 pm

8. Okeanu Chris

May 21, 2020 at 2:45 am

Am from Port-Hourcourt,since April i applied for this loan,i’ve been told they will call me for interview,till now i have not heard from NIRSAL.If they said 1000 applicate have benefited,who are they,what sate are they from?I’ve been in their office after applying online,when I heard nothing from them,they ask me to go & wait they will call me,till now I’ve not heard from them.

9. BARIDILO K DEEKOR

May 21, 2020 at 8:04 am

Why make stringent measures. That amounts to denial. Who will agree to guarantee such loans at this time. Is it not supposed to be a soft loan to help boast the economy. Our economy is already bad and you putting strict measures so that nobody will get it and you end up getting it to your people only. What a Nigeria. Who will qualify for it, defeating the very purpose of the loan

10. Ofana Emmanuel

May 21, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Good day sir, i was among ur first applicant, i fill and submitted like everyone and at the end of submission i was debited 5000 naira by wema Bank later i receive a mail to refreshing my list i did finally they sent me a guarantor form i fill and submit and is up to 3 week’s now i have not had or gotten any massage from u people till now, i have even call ur customer care line a lady told me i will hear from u people soon but no response till now, thanks and God bless you sir i wait to hear from u.

• Joy A obazee

June 19, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for ur wonderful job, but lam really disappointed in d whole thing l ve received offer since two weeks yet no money, pls do the needful and pls for once let’s act according to expectations, help this country to grow and promote the dreams of everyone living in it,help everyone to grow back their businesses,pls Nirsal do the needful

11. Peter P.J Ngbeken

May 21, 2020 at 8:35 pm

I applied for the loan, but people around believe that is the usual Nigerian thing, that I was just wasting time.
    Up till now, no communication between the microfinance bank and I.

12. victor

May 22, 2020 at 9:14 am

this loan is real but meanly for some group or tribe best known to them.

13. Fatima Abdullahi umar

May 22, 2020 at 1:35 pm

I need help am serious in need for money

14. Oshiobridge

May 22, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Thanks to NMFB. I received mine yesterday

• Gideon

June 16, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Congratulations, please how did u do it? I have been on the waiting list not knowing if i missed any stepor not

• Christopher

June 26, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Please what was the next step after accepting offer online been waiting for the next instructions

15. Ayietim

May 23, 2020 at 1:14 pm

This is great. The right step in the right direction.

16. eke joachim

May 25, 2020 at 4:56 am

Please ,help me ,how can i apply for the loan?

17. Ademola

May 27, 2020 at 11:57 pm

@oshiobrigde, please are you saying you have been credited?

18. Samuel Glory Adiele

June 10, 2020 at 9:04 am

How do I apply for this loan

19. Nnenna adimoha

June 12, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Pls how do I apply for this loan

June 13, 2020 at 5:10 pm

I have apply and certifed and i have submitted my account.i want to know why UBA Applicants on the loan have not be credited but Access and GTB have been credited .

21. Yusuf saidu

June 14, 2020 at 3:19 am

How will applied for the cbn loans please?

22. Anayo Nwachukwu

June 15, 2020 at 6:03 am

I was asked to visit their web site to fill in for my offer letter, but it keep saying “This BVN details does not exist” , I also did affidavite for my BVN but it keep saying the same thing each time I visit their site. please help, what should I do next?

• emeka

November 12, 2020 at 5:53 am

i have desame problem

23. Iliyasu lawan

June 17, 2020 at 5:30 pm

My God helping the organization, sir I registered since January but yet now didn’t gate the any respond neither this nor that

June 18, 2020 at 12:58 am

I can get this loan of a thing

25. Kabiru Ali Abdullahi

June 18, 2020 at 10:53 am

Good mmorning sir I want apply the CBN loan due to the this pandemic I lost most of my capital and now I am about to go down while I have 3 boys under me

26. ABUBAKAR Mohammed

June 20, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Kaduna state

27. Princess m.Atanu

June 22, 2020 at 1:43 am

Nirsal is doing a great job.
    But let them speed up there transactions.
    I also registered online expecting there call or emails. I’m very much optimistic, I keep my finger cross.
    Waiting for nirsal call.
    Registered under smse.
    Thanks for reaching me.

28. Doris irebo

June 24, 2020 at 2:48 pm

I really need money but not as huge as what you people are giving for loan

29. Umeora Chidiebere

June 26, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Can I still apply for the loan now.

30. Daniel

June 26, 2020 at 3:33 pm

I was sent an approval message to go online and accept offer of loan which I did and haven’t heard any response it’s two weeks now please the customer care numbers are always busy is there an email or some other way one could get information on next step please

• Adebayo Bolanle Omolara

July 8, 2020 at 3:31 pm

thesame thing applicable to me, I receive approval message which have done since a month ago please i need an assistance

31. Chidinma Joy

June 30, 2020 at 1:37 pm

How can one apply and your office address in PORTHARCOURT. Thank you

• okwuchi anwuli

June 30, 2020 at 5:54 pm

PLS sir when is the deadline for this loan. I have been trying to apply to no avail

32. Adewunmi Adenowo

July 4, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Good morning, please want to know when the next batch can apply for this July because when l wanted to apply l was told that the application is closed for now, that shortly the program will start again thank

33. Akaninyene Johnson

July 7, 2020 at 4:47 pm

I apply late June does it mean I was not among the chosen one, I am an undergraduate who is is trying to create impact in the society but due to covid19 my unisex shoe and bags biz’s fall and right now I need help to continue my biz thanks.

34. SAFIYANU YAHAYA

July 27, 2020 at 5:50 pm

I apply the loan one month ago i no see massege

35. Yusuf umar

October 22, 2020 at 9:56 pm

Sir I have resived my compermation since 9 october 22 october i yate to see my alart sir what is the problem?

36. Modebelu chinonye bibian

November 11, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Coronavirus

Covid-19: African Union in talks with China and Russia over vaccine

The AU and Africa CDC have revealed that they have reached out to both China and Russia over the possibility of vaccine partnerships.

Covid-19: African Union in talks with China and Russia over vaccine

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and the African Union announced they have been in talks with China and Russia over the possibility of vaccine partnerships to ensure that Africa is not left behind when vaccines become available.

This was disclosed by John Nkengasong, Africa CDC Chief, at the Bloomberg Invest Africa online conference.

READ: Covid-19: Pfizer to file for emergency authorization for its vaccine, reaches safety milestone

Mr. Nkengasong said that Africa would not limit itself to only one vaccine partner and that Africa was willing to work with as many partners as possible to provide a vaccine for its 1.2 billion people.

“We are not limiting ourselves to any particular partner. As a continent of 1.2 billion people, we are willing to work with any partner who adheres to our strategic plan for vaccine development and access in Africa.

“The continent is taking the access and development of vaccine very, very seriously. We really need to see clinical trials being done on the continent, so they address issues like background infections from other diseases.”
He disclosed that the Africa CDC resumed talks last week with China, to discuss partnerships with Chinese Drug Manufacturers and also clinical trials in Africa. He added that Russia has been approached with a similar plan.

He said that the WHO Covax programme only covers 20% of the population, but Africa will need 60% of its population vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.

GTBank 728 x 90

There are multiple avenues being explored now to make sure Africa has the appropriate doses of vaccines and also that we have that in a timely fashion, not in a delayed manner,” Nkengasong said.

He revealed that the AFREXIM Bank agreed to finance vaccine procurement with $5 billion and is waiting to see how much it will receive from World Bank’s $12 billion vaccine procurement fund for developing nations.

READ: COVID-19: G-20 to extend debt relief to developing nations

Coronation ads

What you should know

Nairametrics reported earlier this month that Pfizer Inc. disclosed that its experimental vaccine, which is jointly developed with BioNTech, was more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19, based on initial data from a large study in the ongoing phase 3 trials.

(READ MORE: COVID-19: AstraZeneca vaccine could be 90% effective against the virus)

Last week, a pharmaceutical company, Moderna Inc., stated that its COVID-19 vaccine was 94.5% effective in treating coronavirus, after preliminary analysis of a large late-stage clinical trial.

The G-20 nations also announced a pledge to pay for vaccine distribution to developing nations that could not afford it. The leaders also unveiled a debt extension programme to developing nations during the weekend’s G-20 summit.

Jaiz bank ads

The Federal Government of Nigeria also announced through the Ministry of Health, that it would inaugurate an 18-man Covid-19 Vaccine Task Team, in a bid to ensure vaccine security In Nigeria.

Stanbic IBTC

Coronavirus

Covid-19: EU considers skipping vaccine patents to boost vaccine access

The EU has disclosed plans to increase its access to Covid-19 vaccines by offering financial incentives to vaccine production companies.

AstraZeneca suspends COVID-19 vaccine final stage trial over safety concerns, COVID-19: J&J starts vaccine trials on humans after success on monkeys

The European Union (EU) says its planning emergency measures to increase its access to Covid-19 vaccines including sidestepping patent rights and offering financial incentives to vaccine production companies to move production to Europe.

This was revealed in an EU document on Wednesday and reported by Reuters. The Document says the EU may create an emergency coordination mechanism to be issued at short notice when the EU needs a vaccine license, which is different from fully patent waivers, discussed in the WTO last week.

READ: COVID-19: EU to buy up to 300million doses of BioNTech-Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine

The EU says the new move will ensure faster procedures during a pandemic, which will enable generic production in the EU without the consent of patent holders.

The Commission sees the need to ensure that effective systems for issuing compulsory licenses are in place, to be used as a means of last resort and a safety net, when all other efforts to make IP (intellectual property) available have failed,” the EU’s document said.

GTBank 728 x 90

READ: COVID-19 boosts Fidson Healthcare Plc’s Q2 2020 performance

The EU’s actions may be triggered by its inability to access the antiviral drug, remdesivir, during the pandemic, as the United States ordered most of the stock.

READ: U.S dollar drops, Currency traders fear increasing COVID-19 caseloads

Coronation ads

The EU also disclosed that it will begin a consultation process with pharmaceutical companies next year to address issues in its pharmaceutical value chains. They added that measures could be imposed to encourage manufacturers to move pharmaceutical production to Europe from China and India.

“The Commission calls on member states to ensure that the tools they have are as effective as possible; for instance, by putting in place fast-track procedures for issuing compulsory licenses in emergency situations,” the EU said.

READ: COVID-19: Vaccine Alliance says vaccine might cost a maximum of $40 per dose

They added that it is urgent “to assess whether manufacturing capacity for certain critical medicines may be required in the EU.”

“We need to be able to rely on ourselves, not on others,” the Commission’s Vice President, Margaritis Schinas said. He disclosed that the EU is working on more compliance with drug supply need and increased stock levels by 2022.

Jaiz bank ads

What you should know

Stanbic IBTC

This comes as surprise considering the EU rejected a World Trade Organization (WTO) proposal last week to waive the intellectual property rights needed for the manufacturing of Covid-19 vaccines. The waiver would have made the vaccine access cheaper for developing nations.

Coronavirus

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria

On the 25th of November 2020, 198 new confirmed cases were recorded in Nigeria

The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 66,805 confirmed cases.

On the 25th of November 2020, 198 new confirmed cases were recorded in Nigeria, having carried out a total daily test of 5,838 samples across the country.

To date, 66,805 cases have been confirmed, 62,493 cases have been discharged and 1,169 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 749,136 tests have been carried out as of November 25th, 2020 compared to 743,298 tests a day earlier.

COVID-19 Case Updates- 25th November 2020,

• Total Number of Cases – 66,805
  • Total Number Discharged – 62,493
  • Total Deaths – 1,169
  • Total Tests Carried out – 749,136

According to the NCDC, the 198 new cases were reported from 13 states- FCT (53), Lagos (48), Ogun (40), Akwa Ibom (20), Bauchi (9), Plateau (8), Kaduna (5), Kano (4), Benue (3), Jigawa (3), Nasarawa(3), Edo (1), Kwara (1)

Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 23,066, followed by Abuja (6,629), Plateau (3,813), Oyo (3,715), Rivers (2,963), Kaduna (2,945), Edo (2,696), Ogun (2,196), Delta (1,823), Kano (1,781), Ondo (1,727), Enugu (1,332),  Kwara (1,096), Ebonyi (1,055), Katsina (1,012), Osun (945), Gombe (938). Abia (926), Bauchi (762), and Borno (745).

GTBank 728 x 90

Imo State has recorded 662  cases, Benue (496), Nasarawa (488), Bayelsa (445),  Ekiti (354), Akwa Ibom (339), Jigawa (331), Niger (296), Anambra (285), Adamawa (261), Sokoto (165), Taraba (157), Yobe (94), Kebbi (93), Cross River (90), Zamfara (79), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Western diplomats warn of disease explosion, poor handling by government

Lock Down and Curfew

In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.

Coronation ads

The movement restriction, which was extended by another two-weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.

On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.

On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.

READ ALSO: Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous