nairametrics
UBA ads

Coronavirus

NIRSAL explains why it is not disbursing N50 billion CBN loan

Lockdown around Kano, Lagos, Port Harcourt, and incidentally Kaduna and they constitute a significant part of the applicants that applied for the loans.

400,000 people benefit from NIRSAL scheme , NIRSAL pledges funding support for farmers, NIRSAL explains why it is not yet disbursing N50b CBN facility

As part of the stimulus package announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to help mitigate the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the economy and businesses, the apex bank introduced an N50 billion Targeted Credit Facility (TCF) in March 2020, to support households and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) that have been affected by the pandemic.

The facility from CBN, which is to be disbursed through the NIRSAL Microfinance Bank Ltd (NMBL), had recorded about 80,000 applications as at April.

UBA ADS

However, this program has not been without some hiccups with many applicants complaining about difficulties in assessing the facility.

During an interview with ChannelsTV, the Managing Director of NIRSAL Microfinance Bank Plc, Abubakar Kure, explained why there were difficulties in disbursing the facility to the applicants.

(READ MORE: Covid-19: CBN wants to fund research for Nigerian Made vaccines)

GTBank 728 x 90

He disclosed that the nationwide lockdown and restrictions had been a major challenge to the smooth processing of the facility. This was also compounded by the inability of some of the applicants to secure guarantors.

CBN-Governor-Emefiele, Investors’ and Exporters’ forex window aided Naira stability – Emefiele , external reserves, Financial Inclusion: CBN licensed 15 mobile money operators – Emefiele , Rates continue to decline as banks struggle to meet CBN’s 65% minimum LDR, CBN releases new guidelines, to fine banks N2 million over customers’ complaint , CBN: FG fell short of monthly allocated collected revenue by N388 billion, CBN issues new rule for use of PoS, merchants to face sanction after deadline, CBN may devalue naira in 2020 as experts highlight red flags in the economy, CBN appoints and redeploys directors within its ranks, Banks look to lending rates for revenue, as slash on e-transaction charges affect operations, CBN discloses currency in circulation worth N2.44 trillion, CBN to commence recycling of mutilated naira notes, Agriculture: CBN's revised policy on the dairy industry, CBN condemns foreign money transfers to Nigeria, Experts outline effect of CBN’s longer term contract, Bank’s lending rates decline albeit slower than expected, CBN releases new capital base, sanctions for Microfinance Banks, CBN reveals banks’ foreign assets rise to N14.19 trillion in 2019, CBN insists on no devaluation, threatens to sanction those responsible for false speculations, CBN considers interest rate cut as trade, economy decline over Coronavirus, Defending the naira at a cost, CBN announces initial policy response to COVID-19, CBN stops oil companies from selling dollar to NNPC, here’s why, Amid Coronavirus spread, CBN directs staff to stay at home, External reserves to fall below $30 billion, more forex restrictions expected, UPDATE: Fitch downgrades Nigeria's IDR to "B", says CBN's remedial policy not enough, What constitutes Nigeria’s external reserves?, CBN to create housing funds for developers, Nigeria Trade: CBN reviews exchange rate for cargo imports, Nigerian Fintechs re-strategize with CBNs’ postponement of revised MFB license regulations, NIRSAL explains why it is not yet disbursing N50b CBN facility

CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele

According to Kure, “You are all aware of the lockdown across the country and major cities. We have lockdown around Kano, Lagos, Port Harcourt, and incidentally Kaduna. So all these major cities constitute a significant part of the applicants who applied for COVID [loans]. We are actually thinking outside the box to see how we can reach them so that they can come and have the loans.

Currently what we do is that we are using digitalization in the form of emails. We send emails to those who have email accounts, we print their offer letters, send back to them, do the documentations and they are able to drawdown.

‘’The most important thing is about the lockdown and that’s why the credit facility was created. It also constitutes a challenge.”

Going further he said, ‘’We are improving our processes, systems, people to be able to meet up with the expectations. You are fully aware that this loan is for a short term. It’s a short term seamless package by Central Bank intended to cushion the effect on businesses and people. However, because of the lockdown and the restriction of people, there have been delays. We have also noticed the issue around guarantors.”

(READ MORE: CBN pumps funds into FOREX market through Wholesale SMIS)

The NMFB boss, while explaining, also encouraged qualified individuals to come forward and guarantee the approved applicants because they had viable businesses. He said that the ones that had been evaluated were very successful SMEs with the capacity to pay back.

NIRSAL explains why it is not yet disbursing N50b CBN facility

devland
Coronation ads

On why the difficulty in disbursing the credit facility considering that it was supposed to be a short term facility to cater for businesses and households during the period of pandemic and lockdown, Mr Kure said, “This is a loan and not a grant, you are required to sign offer letters in terms of documentation that need to be signed so that it requires physical interaction between the bank i.e. NIRSAL Microfinance bank as well as the customers. So customers are unable to even come to sign the documentations and customers are even unable to get guarantors.”

However, as part of the solution to this challenge, Kure said the bank was trying to enlighten the customers about other channels of payment like mobile applications and the USSD. He said that those that we’re able to finish their documentation and sign offer letters, a fundamental aspect of the loan, could drawdown.

thegreenafricaproject 300x250

On the number of applicants that had benefitted so far from the facility, the NMFB MD said, “If you go to our website, we have over 1000 applicants that are enjoying the facilities. The buildup is expected in a few days to come.”

(READ MORE: IMF approves $1 billion for Ghana to fight COVID-19)

GTBank 728 x 90

He also disclosed that NIRSAL Microfinance bank had received N5 billion from CBN for about 5,000 applicants and they hoped to disburse about 90% of that in a few weeks to come.

This disbursement from the apex bank was collaborated by CBN’s Director for Development Finance, Yusuf Yila, who said that they had disbursed N5 billion for 5,000 applicants through the NMFB.

On the kind of collateral needed for small businesses, Kure said they were usually soft collaterals that ranged from guarantors to movable assets like cars, equipment, and so on, unlike large volume ticket collaterals for big businesses. He said the most important thing to consider in the approval was the cash flow and the ability to pay back the facility.

He also disclosed that the households constituted about 65% of the applications that were received.

GTBank 728 x 90

Chike Olisah is a graduate of accountancy with over 15 years working experience in the financial service sector. He has worked in research and marketing departments of three top commercial banks. Chike is a senior member of the Nairametrics Editorial Team. You may contact him via his email- [email protected]

1. Franklin Chukwudi

May 20, 2020 at 10:29 am

Good morning sir

I was called to come and sign the offer letter since Monday 11/05/2020 at their Abeokuta office and also account opening documents and as of today 20/05 /2020 no funds, no updates and no account number

Best regards

• Ismail Tijjani

June 18, 2020 at 12:54 pm

I want to register the site is not going Sir please can you help me to continue my business thanks.

• Iliya kefas

June 18, 2020 at 11:12 pm

How can I submit my application letter

• Anonymous

July 22, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Please what is the website please

2. Olu Seun

May 20, 2020 at 11:13 am

NISRAL are not sincere in their dealings,reason why this country refuse to move forward.
    Imagine a country of over 200million people, only 1000 people benefited so far meaning all they care about is their own immediate family because if at the end of the day people failed to meet up their stringent policy to receive the loan,they will divert it to their family since they know what they want before loan can be granted to Nigerian.. It is well

• Doks

May 22, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Nirsal microfinance are guilty of fake news. Nigerians need genuine helper during this Covid 19, not a misleading one.

May 20, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Taraba state applicants are yet to receive invitation for interview. What’s going on?

• Promise

May 20, 2020 at 6:05 pm

The custodians/ managers of the loan are not sincere about the process. I applied for the same loan but was told that they will get back to me in the next 72hrs yet no response till date after a month plus. The government should investigate those in charge if it’s really meant for Nigerians

• Mcfrancis Nnaji

May 22, 2020 at 2:35 pm

We are on the same page… No response from then over a month now.

• Apeekaa

July 1, 2020 at 10:30 pm

Is because FG want leave tarabans with their crises TIV and JUKUMS

4. Henry

May 20, 2020 at 5:35 pm

The loan is for northerners. Don’t waste your pen and paper.

5. Umar Mohammed

May 20, 2020 at 9:18 pm

We are proud of your work sir may God continue help the organization yours umar Mohammed from Maiduguri

• Fadeyi Kayode

June 19, 2020 at 4:01 pm

I have receive mail for more than 3 times yet to forward my lian

6. Minana

May 20, 2020 at 9:31 pm

It is well, the whole process is taking too long.Some much delay in sending reply to enable an individual know if he or she qualified.

• Grace Joseph

June 25, 2020 at 5:30 am

Sir I apply they are saying maximum number of people have responded to the form

7. Minana

May 20, 2020 at 9:31 pm

8. Okeanu Chris

May 21, 2020 at 2:45 am

Am from Port-Hourcourt,since April i applied for this loan,i’ve been told they will call me for interview,till now i have not heard from NIRSAL.If they said 1000 applicate have benefited,who are they,what sate are they from?I’ve been in their office after applying online,when I heard nothing from them,they ask me to go & wait they will call me,till now I’ve not heard from them.

9. BARIDILO K DEEKOR

May 21, 2020 at 8:04 am

Why make stringent measures. That amounts to denial. Who will agree to guarantee such loans at this time. Is it not supposed to be a soft loan to help boast the economy. Our economy is already bad and you putting strict measures so that nobody will get it and you end up getting it to your people only. What a Nigeria. Who will qualify for it, defeating the very purpose of the loan

10. Ofana Emmanuel

May 21, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Good day sir, i was among ur first applicant, i fill and submitted like everyone and at the end of submission i was debited 5000 naira by wema Bank later i receive a mail to refreshing my list i did finally they sent me a guarantor form i fill and submit and is up to 3 week’s now i have not had or gotten any massage from u people till now, i have even call ur customer care line a lady told me i will hear from u people soon but no response till now, thanks and God bless you sir i wait to hear from u.

• Joy A obazee

June 19, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for ur wonderful job, but lam really disappointed in d whole thing l ve received offer since two weeks yet no money, pls do the needful and pls for once let’s act according to expectations, help this country to grow and promote the dreams of everyone living in it,help everyone to grow back their businesses,pls Nirsal do the needful

11. Peter P.J Ngbeken

May 21, 2020 at 8:35 pm

I applied for the loan, but people around believe that is the usual Nigerian thing, that I was just wasting time.
    Up till now, no communication between the microfinance bank and I.

12. victor

May 22, 2020 at 9:14 am

this loan is real but meanly for some group or tribe best known to them.

13. Fatima Abdullahi umar

May 22, 2020 at 1:35 pm

I need help am serious in need for money

14. Oshiobridge

May 22, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Thanks to NMFB. I received mine yesterday

• Gideon

June 16, 2020 at 2:27 pm

Congratulations, please how did u do it? I have been on the waiting list not knowing if i missed any stepor not

• Christopher

June 26, 2020 at 2:51 pm

Please what was the next step after accepting offer online been waiting for the next instructions

15. Ayietim

May 23, 2020 at 1:14 pm

This is great. The right step in the right direction.

16. eke joachim

May 25, 2020 at 4:56 am

Please ,help me ,how can i apply for the loan?

17. Ademola

May 27, 2020 at 11:57 pm

@oshiobrigde, please are you saying you have been credited?

18. Samuel Glory Adiele

June 10, 2020 at 9:04 am

How do I apply for this loan

19. Nnenna adimoha

June 12, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Pls how do I apply for this loan

June 13, 2020 at 5:10 pm

I have apply and certifed and i have submitted my account.i want to know why UBA Applicants on the loan have not be credited but Access and GTB have been credited .

21. Yusuf saidu

June 14, 2020 at 3:19 am

How will applied for the cbn loans please?

22. Anayo Nwachukwu

June 15, 2020 at 6:03 am

I was asked to visit their web site to fill in for my offer letter, but it keep saying “This BVN details does not exist” , I also did affidavite for my BVN but it keep saying the same thing each time I visit their site. please help, what should I do next?

23. Iliyasu lawan

June 17, 2020 at 5:30 pm

My God helping the organization, sir I registered since January but yet now didn’t gate the any respond neither this nor that

June 18, 2020 at 12:58 am

I can get this loan of a thing

25. Kabiru Ali Abdullahi

June 18, 2020 at 10:53 am

Good mmorning sir I want apply the CBN loan due to the this pandemic I lost most of my capital and now I am about to go down while I have 3 boys under me

26. ABUBAKAR Mohammed

June 20, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Kaduna state

27. Princess m.Atanu

June 22, 2020 at 1:43 am

Nirsal is doing a great job.
    But let them speed up there transactions.
    I also registered online expecting there call or emails. I’m very much optimistic, I keep my finger cross.
    Waiting for nirsal call.
    Registered under smse.
    Thanks for reaching me.

28. Doris irebo

June 24, 2020 at 2:48 pm

I really need money but not as huge as what you people are giving for loan

29. Umeora Chidiebere

June 26, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Can I still apply for the loan now.

30. Daniel

June 26, 2020 at 3:33 pm

I was sent an approval message to go online and accept offer of loan which I did and haven’t heard any response it’s two weeks now please the customer care numbers are always busy is there an email or some other way one could get information on next step please

• Adebayo Bolanle Omolara

July 8, 2020 at 3:31 pm

thesame thing applicable to me, I receive approval message which have done since a month ago please i need an assistance

31. Chidinma Joy

June 30, 2020 at 1:37 pm

How can one apply and your office address in PORTHARCOURT. Thank you

• okwuchi anwuli

June 30, 2020 at 5:54 pm

PLS sir when is the deadline for this loan. I have been trying to apply to no avail

32. Adewunmi Adenowo

July 4, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Good morning, please want to know when the next batch can apply for this July because when l wanted to apply l was told that the application is closed for now, that shortly the program will start again thank

33. Akaninyene Johnson

July 7, 2020 at 4:47 pm

I apply late June does it mean I was not among the chosen one, I am an undergraduate who is is trying to create impact in the society but due to covid19 my unisex shoe and bags biz’s fall and right now I need help to continue my biz thanks.

34. SAFIYANU YAHAYA

July 27, 2020 at 5:50 pm

I apply the loan one month ago i no see massege

Coronavirus

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria

On the 4th of August 2020, 304 new confirmed cases and 14 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.

The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increase as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 44,433 confirmed cases.

On the 4th of August 2020, 304 new confirmed cases and 14 deaths were recorded in Nigeria, having carried out a total daily test of 1,601 samples across the country.

UBA ADS

To date, 44,433 cases have been confirmed, 31,851 cases have been discharged and 910 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory. A total of 289,133 tests have been carried out as of August 3rd, 2020 compared to 287,532 tests a day earlier.

COVID-19 Case Updates- 4th August 2020,

• Total Number of Cases – 44,433
  • Total Number Discharged – 31,851
  • Total Deaths – 910
  • Total Tests Carried out – 289,133

According to the NCDC, the 304 new cases are reported from 19 states- FCT (90), Lagos (59), Ondo (39), Taraba (18), Rivers (17), Borno (15), Adamawa (12), Oyo (11), Delta (9), Edo (6), Bauchi (4), Kwara (4), Ogun (4), Osun (4), Bayelsa (3), Plateau (3), Niger (3), Nasarawa (2) and Kano (1)

Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 15,414, followed by Abuja (4,087), Oyo (2,782), Edo (2,317), Rivers (1,859), Kano (1,598), Delta (1,529), Kaduna (1,498), Ogun (1,411), Plateau and Ondo (1,243), Enugu (846), Ebonyi (808), Kwara (790), Katsina (746), Borno (628), Gombe (620), Abia (602), Osun (584), and Bauchi (565).

GTBank 728 x 90

Imo State has recorded 469 cases, Benue (356), Bayelsa (342), Nasarawa (341),  Jigawa (322), Niger (226), Akwa Ibom (221), Adamawa (176), Sokoto (154), Ekiti (152), Anambra (135),  Kebbi (90), Zamfara (77), Taraba (72), Yobe (67), Cross River (58), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Western diplomats warn of disease explosion, poor handling by government

Lock Down and Curfew

In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.

The movement restriction, which was extended by another two-weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.

On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.

READ ALSO: Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous

DateConfirmed caseNew casesTotal deathsNew deathsTotal recoveryActive casesCritical cases
August 4, 2020444333049101431851116727
March 2, 20201000010
March 1, 20201000010
February 29, 20201000010
February 28, 20201100010

Coronavirus

COVID-19: WHO warns there may never be an immediate solution to the virus

WHO urged governments and citizens to focus on known basic steps to contain the pandemic.

Virtual hackathon: WHO offers $20,000 to curb Coronavirus with African-tech solution, covid-19, coronavirus

The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that there might not be an immediate solution or cure to the COVID-19 pandemic despite the positive outcomes at the different levels of trials of vaccines for the virus.

The WHO said that despite strong hopes for a vaccine, there might never be a silver bullet for COVID-19, and the road to normality would be long.

UBA ADS

According to the latest data, the coronavirus pandemic has infected over 18.1 million people with more than 690,000 fatalities globally since late January, when the virus was first reported. This is just as some countries that thought they worst was over for them started experiencing a second wave of outbreak.

READ MORE: Lessons for Nigerian fintechs, as Square gets nod for banking license

The Director-General of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, and Mike Ryan, WHO head of emergencies, urged governments and citizens to focus on known basic steps to contain the pandemic such as testing, contact tracing, maintaining physical distance and putting on a mask.

GTBank 728 x 90

Tedros in a virtual news briefing in Geneva, said, ‘’The message to people and governments is clear, Do it all. He said face masks should become a symbol of solidarity around the world. A number of vaccines are now in phase three clinical trials and we all hope to have a number of effective vaccines that can help prevent people from infection. However, there’s no silver bullet at the moment, and there might never be.’’

READ MORE: COVID-19: WHO stops hydroxychloroquine, HIV drugs trial after failure

Chinese Investigation

The WHO officials revealed that an advanced investigation team that was sent to China where the virus started, are not yet back. The UN health agency sent an epidemiologist and an animal health specialist to China on July 10 to lay the groundwork for a probe aimed at identifying how the virus entered the human species.

Tedros said WHO and Chinese experts had agreed on the terms of reference and a programme of work for a WHO-led international team of scientists and researchers from around the world. They are to study the origins of the virus in the city of Wuhan.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Russia to roll out mass vaccination against Corovirus in October

The WHO boss encouraged mothers to continue breastfeeding even if they had COVID-19, as the benefits outweigh the risks associated with infection.

Tedros also said the international hunt for a vaccine has been historic against the backdrop of the coronavirus disease being the biggest global health emergency since the early 20th century.

Tedros said, ‘’There are many vaccines under trial, a couple in the final stage of clinical trials – and there is hope. It does not mean that we will have the vaccine, but at least the speed with which we reached the level we reached now is unprecedented.”

“There are concerns that we may not have a vaccine that may work or its protection could be for just a few months, not more. But until we finish the clinical trials, we will not know.”

devland
Coronation ads

Business

Lagos state lists conditions that must be met by churches, mosques before reopening

The government specified that the conditions must be met for worship centres to open.

Sanwo-Olu, COVID-19: Lagos ramps up measure to smash disease as it begins fumigation, Covid-19: Total lockdowm imminent as Lagos fears confirmed cases could hit 39,000, Hotels to remain shut in Lagos, as manufacturing and construction companies get conditional waivers, COVID-19 palliative: Sanwo-Olu concludes Homegrown School Feeding Programme

The Lagos State Government has introduced some measures and conditions that must be met/fulfiled by all religious centres and places of worships that are planning to reopen, following further relaxation of lockdown.

These measures were contained in a press statement that was issued by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, and seen by Nairametrics.

UBA ADS

READ: Malabu Scandal: Netherland, Switzerland to send $200 million to Nigeria

Nairametrics had reported that the Lagos State Governor on Saturday, August 1, during his 17th briefing on the state’s COVID-19 response, announced the reopening of worship centres with effect from August 7th. Now, the Lagos State Government has specified that the following conditions must be met for worship centres that are planning to open;

• Only regular services/gatherings are permitted to hold. Night vigils and other non-regular programmes remain prohibited until further notice.
  • Attendees above 65 years are strongly discouraged from attending worship services.
  • Consider holding services and gatherings in large, well-ventilated areas or outdoors, as circumstances and faith tradition allow.
  • No face mask, no entry policy, must be maintained throughout the duration of the services.
  • Regular cleaning and disinfection of facilities must be carried out to maintain clean and hygienic environments before and after every service.
  • Appropriate screening equipment for COVID-19 symptoms such as a contactless temperature check must be available for entrants into the facility.
  • It is mandatory to provide hand-washing facilities and sanitizers at the entry and exit point of the premises.
  • National emergency response phone lines must be displayed prominently on the premises.
  • Handshakes, hugs and high fives are not permitted at services or gatherings and this should be emphasized by displaying appropriate signs prominently.
  • The use of stationary collection boxes and electronic methods for collection of the offering must be encouraged.
  • The flow of human traffic in and out of these places of worship must be conducted in an organized and orderly manner.

READ MORE: Lagos sets up N1 billion seed capital for hospitality sector, rolls out optical fibre across the state

GTBank 728 x 90

The Governor urged Lagosians to fully comply with the measures outlined in the new regulations, stressing that Lagos State Safety Commission has a statutory responsibility to monitor the activities and operations of all organizations and worship centres that have been permitted to re-open.

first bank