Connect with us
iubh
Advertisement
Alpha
Advertisement
Hotflex
Advertisement
Advertisement
UBA
Advertisement
Patricia
Advertisement
app

Coronavirus

COVID-19: Kwara Govt shuts down schools, orders civil servants to work from home

The Kwara State Government has ordered the closure of all schools in the state, as part of efforts to curb the spread of the Coronavirus disease.

Published

on

Coronavirus: Kwara Govt shuts down schools, orders civil servants to work from home

The Kwara State Government has ordered the immediate closure of all public and private schools in the state, as part of efforts to curb the spread of the Coronavirus disease.

The government has also banned all gatherings of more than 25 people and issued a stay-at-home order for civil servants excluding health workers and first responders, effective from March 23.

COVID-19: Kwara Govt shuts down schools, orders civil servants to work from home

This order was contained in a statement signed by the state governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq on Sunday, and made available to Channels TV.

Although the state has no confirmed case of the Coronavirus disease yet, the governor said proactive measures were necessary to prevent any such incident, even as the state embarks on a healthcare transformation to give its residents quality and affordable healthcare.

“Currently, we have no confirmed case of COVID-19 in Kwara State. However, as a proactive government, and consistent with our determination to upgrade healthcare infrastructure in Kwara state, I have since approved funding for the construction of an isolation centre at the onset of our administration. 

“In Kwara State, we are following the lead of the Federal government by mobilising all resources available to us to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Kwara,” he said.

[READ MORE: COVID-19: Lagos asks civil servants to stay at home)

Hotflex
Sigma Pensions

He announced that the “COVID-19 Technical Committee” had been set up, headed by the Deputy Governor and comprising of healthcare professionals and officials. This committee would have the task of combatting COVID-19 in Kwara State.

Nigeria records second case of the new novel coronavirus, COVID-19

Coronavirus

The governor added that a ‘20-bed high-quality isolation centre’ had been completed and equipped at Sobi Specialist Hospital and plans were underway to build additional and well-equipped 12-bed intensive care unit at the General Hospital, Ilorin.

He encouraged Kwara residents to adhere to the safety and hygiene directives from the World Health Organisation and other recognised health institutions.

“As a community, we must do everything possible to prevent any transmission of COVID-19 by embracing the concept of social distancing and self-isolation. These measures are to prevent anyone that may be infected with COVID-19 from spreading the disease to others. An exponential spread of COVID-19 in our community might be catastrophic because we could have thousands of our citizens sick at the same time,” he warned.

Stanbic 728 x 90

Ruth Okwumbu has a MSc. and BSc. in Mass Communication from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and Delta state university respectively. Prior to her role as analyst at Nairametrics, she had a progressive six year writing career.As a Business Analyst with Narametrics, she focuses on profiles of top business executives, founders, startups and the drama surrounding their successes and challenges. You may contact her via [email protected]

1 Comment

1 Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business News

    COVID-19 Update in Nigeria

    On the 10th of April 2021, 84 new confirmed cases and death was recorded in Nigeria

    Published

    on

    Covid 19 update symptops

    The spread of novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) in Nigeria continues to record significant increases as the latest statistics provided by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control reveal Nigeria now has 163,736 confirmed cases.

    On the 10th of April 2021, 84 new confirmed cases and 1 death was recorded in Nigeria.

    To date, 163,736 cases have been confirmed, 154,098 cases have been discharged and 2,060 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

    A total of 1.8 million tests have been carried out as of April 10th, 2021 compared to 1.7 million tests a day earlier.

    COVID-19 Case Updates- 10th April 2021,

    • Total Number of Cases – 163,736
    • Total Number Discharged – 154,098
    • Total Deaths – 2,060
    • Total Tests Carried out – 1,803,177

    According to the NCDC, the 84 new cases are reported from 13 states- Lagos (26), Akwa Ibom (16), Rivers (10), Ebonyi (9), Abia (6), Kano (6), Osun (3), Bauchi (2), Delta (2), Edo (1), Jigawa (1), Kaduna (1), and Ogun (1)

    Meanwhile, the latest numbers bring Lagos state total confirmed cases to 57,950, followed by Abuja (19,703), Plateau (9,030), Kaduna (8,984), Rivers (6,986), Oyo (6,838), Edo (4,892), Ogun (4,620), Kano (3,924), Ondo (3,226), Kwara (3,120), Delta (2,615), Osun (2,547), Nasarawa (2,378), Enugu (2,259), Katsina (2,097), Gombe (2,034), Ebonyi (2,008), Anambra (1,909), Akwa Ibom (1,794), and Abia (1,677).

    Imo State has recorded 1,655 cases, Bauchi (1,538), Borno (1,337), Benue (1,188), Adamawa (1,051), Niger (930), Taraba (910), Bayelsa (871), Ekiti (868), Sokoto (774), Jigawa (525), Kebbi (450), Cross River (385), Yobe (365), Zamfara (234), while Kogi state has recorded 5 cases only.

    READ ALSO: COVID-19: Western diplomats warn of disease explosion, poor handling by government

    Sigma Pensions

    Lock Down and Curfew

    In a move to combat the spread of the pandemic disease, President Muhammadu Buhari directed the cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days, which took effect from 11 pm on Monday, 30th March 2020.

    The movement restriction, which was extended by another two weeks period, has been partially put on hold with some businesses commencing operations from May 4. On April 27th, 2020, Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari declared an overnight curfew from 8 pm to 6 am across the country, as part of new measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19. This comes along with the phased and gradual easing of lockdown measures in FCT, Lagos, and Ogun States, which took effect from Saturday, 2nd May 2020, at 9 am.

    On Monday, 29th June 2020 the federal government extended the second phase of the eased lockdown by 4 weeks and approved interstate movement outside curfew hours with effect from July 1, 2020. Also, on Monday 27th July 2020, the federal government extended the second phase of eased lockdown by an additional one week.

    On Thursday, 6th August 2020 the federal government through the secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 announced the extension of the second phase of eased lockdown by another four (4) weeks.

    Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State announced the closed down of the Eti-Osa Isolation Centre, with effect from Friday, 31st July 2020. He also mentioned that the Agidingbi Isolation Centre would also be closed and the patients relocated to a large capacity centre.

    Stanbic 728 x 90

    Due to the increased number of covid-19 cases in Nigeria, the Nigerian government ordered the reopening of Isolation and treatment centres in the country on Thursday, 10th December 2020.

    On 26th January 2021, the Federal Government announced the extension of the guidelines of phase 3 of the eased lockdown by one month following the rising cases of the coronavirus disease in the country and the expiration of phase 3 of the eased lockdown.

    On 28th February 2021, the federal government confirmed that the first tranche of Covid-19 vaccines will arrive in Nigeria on Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021.

    On Tuesday, 2nd March 2021, the National Primary health Care Development Agency announced the arrival of the expected COVX Astrazeneca/Oxford covid-19 vaccines.

    On Saturday, 6th March 2021, President Muhammadu Buhari and his vice, Yemi Osinbajo received vaccination against the covid-19 as the State House in Abuja.

    READ ALSO: Bill Gates says Trump’s WHO funding suspension is dangerous

    Coronation ads

     

     

    app

     

    Continue Reading

    Business

    Lagos eases restrictions on social, event centres, sets new occupancy limit

    The state government has pegged the occupancy limit for event centres in Lagos to 500 people while social events can now have 200 people at a time.

    Published

    on

    The Lagos state government has further eased restrictions on social and event centres in the state. This follows due consultations and deliberations between the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanow-Olu, and relevant stakeholders and MDAs.

    The state government has pegged the occupancy limit for event centres in Lagos to 500 people while social events can now have 200 people at a time.

    This disclosure is contained in a statement by the Lagos State Commissioner for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Uzamat Yusuff, and the Director-General of the Lagos State Safety Commission, Mr Lanre Mojola, on Friday, April 9, 2021.

    The statement noted that safety marshals will be deployed to any social event with over 200 people and event centre exceeding the 500 limits.

    The statement partly reads, “All event centres must hold a valid license of The Lagos State Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture prior to operating as an event centre in the State.

    “All event centres must be duly registered and verified on The Lagos State Safety Commission website www.lasgsafetyreg.com prior to holding any event.

    An Event Safety Clearance must be obtained from the Lagos State Safety Commission through the website www.lasgsafetyreg.com for any proposed event or exhibition.

    Safety Marshals shall be deployed by an accredited event safety consultant from Lagos State Safety Commission for every social event with attendance exceeding over 200 people.

    Sigma Pensions

    Occupancy limit at any event must not exceed 50% of the maximum design capacity of the hall, wherein Occupancy Limit stickers provided by the Lagos State Safety Commission must be boldly posted at the entrance of the event hall.

    Maximum allowable capacity for event centres irrespective of the occupancy limit is 500 people. Deep cleaning must be carried out before and after every event. Physical distancing shall be maintained between seated guests and a maximum number of seated guests should be 6 (six) people on a table of 10 persons.

    Event duration should not exceed a maximum period of 6-hours. All guests and service providers at the facility must wear a nose mask and make use of hand sanitisers All guests and service providers must endeavour to wash their hands before entering the venue or in the alternative use hand sanitisers. Temperature checks must be taken at all entry points into a facility.

    Guests and service providers with temperature (above 37.5) are to be politely turned back and referred to paramedics or the emergency response team on the ground. Hand sanitizers must be positioned at the entry points and different spots within the hall.

    All event centres must endeavour to display standard COVID-19 safety signs. The signs must be bold and installed at conspicuous locations. Event centre owners/ planners/vendors would be responsible for any breach of protocols by their staff.

    Stanbic 728 x 90

    In case you missed it

    • It can be recalled that in July 2020, the Lagos State Government had issued fresh guidelines on the reopening of event and social centres following their shutdown as part of measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
    • The state government insisted that the owners of such facilities must register with the government pending further directives.

     

    Continue Reading

      





    Nairametrics | Company Earnings

    Access our Live Feed portal for the latest company earnings as they drop.