Nigeria has confirmed five new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the country. This was revealed by the Minister for Health, Osagie Ehanire at the Coronavirus update press briefing in Abuja.
“Of the five new positive cases, 3 of them arrived from the United States of America while 2 came in from the United Kingdom. We are still collating information from the travellers, but we know that two of the cases of the US are Nigerians, a mother and 6-week old baby, making this baby the youngest case of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
“The third case is an American tourist who crossed the land border and became the first covid19 case that did not arrive by air. The two cases from the United kingdom are both Nigerians,” he said.
These new cases bring the total confirmed cases in Nigeria to 8. Four of these cases are in the Centre of Excellence, Lagos state, while one is in Ekiti.
“The cases so far, appear to have mild symptoms and are all under treatment,” Ehanire assured.
According to him, their travel histories were still being compiled and contacts were being traced to identify persons who had been in touch with them recently.
He urged Nigerians not to panic, but allow experts to guide the response in a calculated scientific manner.
“Take care and caution as advised by the Ministry of Health. Government will do the needful to protect citizen’s health,” he said.
Speaking on the Morning Show on Arise TV, Wednesday morning, Reuben Abati lamented over the delay of the Federal Government to close the borders.
“We need to close our borders because we can’t close borders because of rice, and then open borders to Coronavirus. If Coronavirus comes in, who will eat the rice since we say we want to increase production?” he asked.