Connect with us
nairametrics
UBA ads

Business News

FG issues travel ban on US, Italy, China, UK, 9 others over COVID-19

The Federal Government has issued a travel ban against 13 countries  to curb the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Published

on

FG divided over housing deficit as the number rises to 22 million , FG bars public officials from travelling abroad, FG issues travel ban on US, Italy, China, UK, 9 others over COVID-19

The Federal Government has issued a travel ban against 13 countries  to curb the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 disclosed during press briefing in Abuja.

The Presidential Task Force  disclosed that @NigeriaGov is restricting entry into the country for travellers from China, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Japan, France, Germany and Norway.

UBA ADS

Others are United States of America, the United Kingdom, Netherlands and Switzerland

The Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Digital/New Media, Tolu Ogunlesi, explained via his twitter handle that the government is also advising all Nigerians to avoid travel to these countries.

He said, “These restrictions will come into effect from Friday March 20, 2020 for four weeks, subject to review. These are all countries with over 1,000 cases domestically.

GTBank 728 x 90

“FG is temporarily suspending all visas issued to nationals from these countries. Nigerians arriving from these countries will be subjected to supervised isolation for 14 days.”

READ ALSO:  387 pharmacies shut down by PCN, here is why 

Ogunlesi had announced earlier on Wednesday via his twitter handle that the Presidential task force would make new announcement on the development.

He said, “The Task Force will be making some new announcements this morning. The Chair of the Task Force is addressing the press shortly.”

app

Wealth.ng

 

Abiola has spent about 14 years in journalism. His career has covered some top local print media like TELL Magazine, Broad Street Journal, The Point Newspaper. The Bloomberg MEI alumni has interviewed some of the most influential figures of the IMF, G-20 Summit, Pre-G20 Central Bank Governors and Finance Ministers, Critical Communication World Conference. The multiple award winner is variously trained in business and markets journalism at Lagos Business School, and Pan-Atlantic University. You may contact him via email - abiola.odutola@nairametrics.com.

8 Comments

8 Comments

  1. Muhammad

    March 18, 2020 at 11:06 am

    Good move .

  2. Jax

    March 18, 2020 at 1:53 pm

    As it should have been

  3. Emmanuel N. Kwuluje

    March 18, 2020 at 2:08 pm

    Kudos to the Federal Government. A stitch in time saves nine. It’s a bold step for the overall wellness of our citizens. The Federal Government should address the domestic market to alleviate the sufferings of our citizens as a result of the ravaging coronavirus in Europe. The landing cost of petroleum products have reduced as a result of the effect of the coronavirus. Let this be reflected in the cost of doing business. Prices of PMS, DIESEL AND KEROSENE should be similarly reduced temporarily. For instance, if PMS AND DIESEL cost less, transport fare will go down to encourage workers and market women. Prices of foodstuffs will be reduced as a result. Stamp duty should be suspended until situation normalises to reduce the cost of money for industrialists and business men and women.

    • Ochiabuto emeka

      March 21, 2020 at 8:03 pm

      Why is it to selected countries above 1000 cases. My thinking on this is people donno hear word but they want to be heard. Stay were u are for sake of goodness. This money sef everybody the pursue, no be wen life dey u go talk of money.

      Follow instruction stay were u are and stop being a covid-19 advocate

  4. Mac D

    March 19, 2020 at 10:52 am

    What stop them since?

  5. Dansokan Musa Yahaya

    March 19, 2020 at 2:24 pm

    Good suggestion. What about the Nigerian citizens who are shedul6to come back on 22/03/2920 and some date ahead ?ate they also ban?

    • Don

      March 19, 2020 at 7:25 pm

      Thank you for the question, Dansokan Must Yahaya. Please, can the relevant authorities clarify this? I’m due to return to Nigeria from the Uk on the 23rd of march… what does this mean for returning Nigerians like me with confirmed return tickets from the Uk post Saturday 21st?

  6. Ochiabuto emeka

    March 21, 2020 at 7:58 pm

    Why can’t people stay one place for the sake of goodness. Nigeria shud ban all flight. Not till we hear another case then the take another reactionary measure. This kin government sef!

    For Don please stay were u are know. Am aware that UK also banned flights. Its quite unfortunate. Global rule stay were u are for now

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Economy & Politics

Lagos to shut down Marine Beach bridge for emergency repairs

The closure will allow the Federal Ministry of Works to carry out emergency repairs on the bridge, in line with the government’s vision of providing a better transportation system in the state.

Published

on

Lagos to shut down Marine Beach bridge for emergency repairs

Lagos state government has announced that the Apapa Marine Beach bridge will be closed for five months, from Wednesday 27th May, to Wednesday 21st October, 2020.

The closure will allow the Federal Ministry of Works to carry out emergency repairs on the bridge, in line with the government’s vision of providing a better transportation system in the state.

UBA ADS

In a statement from the Lagos state Ministry of Transportation, the Commissioner, Dr. Frederic Oladeinde, noted that the repairs were long overdue, and necessary to ensure safety of Lagosians, given the number of motorists that use the route.

READ MORE: Nigerians knock Fashola over comments on “bad roads”  

The Commissioner noted that the repairs included bearing and expansion joint replacement and would be executed in two phases, taking one lane of the bridge at a time.

GTBank 728 x 90

The first phase will involve handling the lane inbound Apapa while the second phase will be designated to work on the lane that conveys vehicles outside the axis,” he said.

Alternative routes

Oladeinde noted that alternative routes around the bridge had been improved to make them motorable, and ease movements for road users.

READ ALSO: Osinbajo sets up committee on reopening of Nigerian economy, suspends loan deductions for states

To manage the construction period, the statement noted that Traffic Management Authorities would be hard at work to ameliorate the expected traffic issues and supervise other arrangements.

app

“Motorists inwards Wharf road will be diverted to the other section of the bridge outwards Apapa, a contraflow of 200metres has been put in place for vehicles to realign with a proper direction inwards Ajegunle or Wharf road, Apapa, while Motorists descending to Total Gas under bridge will drive without any hindrance,” it read.

Wealth.ng

The Commissioner called for the understanding and cooperation of motorists and road users during the period to ensure a smooth flow of plans.

Continue Reading

Economy & Politics

Fayemi set to activate digital economy with N5billion broadband infrastructure

Governor Fayemi plans to activate Ekiti state’s digital economy, this would help generate healthy competition within the ICT sector

Published

on

Fayemi set to activate digital economy with N5billion broadband infrastructure in Ekiti state

Ekiti state government has concluded plans to create a digital hub, with the laying of a 606-kilometer broadband infrastructure.

The project is expected to lift the state from 16% internet penetration to 90% and is estimated to be worth N5 billion, with the Federal Government contributing N1.1 billion of the total sum.

UBA ADS

This plan is part of the memorandum of Understanding (MoU) which the state Governor signed with O’odua Infraco Resources Limited, a consortium that develops high speed and efficient Fibre Optic Cable (FOC) Open Access Network (OAN) across the South-West region of Nigeria.

According to the Managing Director of O’odua Infraco Resources Limited, Mr Sammy Adigun, the project will be officially flagged off in October and completed within 14 months.

GTBank 728 x 90

(READ MORE: What Nigeria stands to gain from new National Broadband Plan)

This decision is a follow-up to the recent crash of Right of Way charges from N4,500 to N145 per meter for broadband infrastructure, and in line with one of the five pillars of Governor Kayode Fayemi’s development plan for Ekiti state.

The Governor noted that these decisions would help generate healthy competition within the ICT sector, thus activating Ekiti state’s digital economy and digital education.

Fayemi noted that the project execution, as well as the broadband policy in the state would be coordinated and supervised by a Digital Infrastructural Committee, made up of various relevant government institutions critical to the implementation of the project.

READ MORE: NCC, Infracos to boost broadband infrastructure with N265 billion 

app

“For us the roadmap is first the fibre connectivity itself, the second is the adequate data center infrastructure, the third is the e-learning programme which will cover our educational institutions, then our safe city, our security programme will also be included.

Wealth.ng

“With our geographical land information system (GIS), we would digitalize all our land records, and of course, commercial investment as well as digitalisation of our government assets and our health education initiative,” Fayemi explained.

 

Continue Reading

Economy & Politics

NCC reacts to claims that minister chased Diaspora Commission’s staff from office complex

The NCC denies claims of the video on social media, pointing out that the staffs of NIDCOM were not sent packing from the digital economy complex

Published

on

NCC orders immediate suspension of USSD charges by telcos, 5G Network to undergo 3 months trial before approval - NCC , NCC licenses 20 new Internet service providers amidst challenges , 150 million Nigerians risk being defrauded – NCC , NCC warns telcos against cyber fraudsters , NCC rolls out new regulations on drone use, NCC licenses 10 new VAS providers as it projects market to hit $500 million , NCC, Infracos set to develop broadband infrastructure with N265 billion raise , Telecommunications: Broadband penetration set to grow, Telecoms operators fined N2.9 billion over infractions , NCC reacts to claims that minister chased away diaspora commission staff from office complex

The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has reacted to claims by the Chief Executive of Nigeria Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, that her staff members were chased out of its premises by armed men on the orders of the Minister for Communication and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami.

The NCC, through a press statement on May 24, 2020 signed by its Director, Public Affairs, Dr. Henry Nkemadu, has said that nothing of such happened as it denied claims in a video making rounds on social media that the staff of NIDCOM were sent packing from the digital economy complex.

UBA ADS

According to the press statement from NCC:

Following the completion of the NCC building at Mbora, Abuja designated as NCC Annex and the acute shortage of accommodation space for the staff of the commission in the NCC head office at Maitama, Abuja, the Board of the commission directed the decongestion of the Head office building. Some of the departments of the NCC had started moving to the new office complex of 5 floors when discussions were held between the NCC and the Diaspora Commission to enable the Diaspora Commission also utilize any free offices within the complex.

“The fifth floor allocated to them had to be used to accommodate other departments from the NCC headquarters to ease the congestion. NCC’s offer to house the Nigeria Diaspora Commission was predicated on the long held position of the NCC that agencies of government will achieve more through strategic collaboration, partnership, synergy and sharing to the extent allowed by relevant laws.”

GTBank 728 x 90

(READ MORE: PenCom dissolves interim management committee for First Guarantee Pension, appoints new board)

NCC disclosed that it had secured approval for the commissioning of the office complex by President Buhari, and also the launching of 4 important projects of NCC, together with the renamed Ministry of Federal Ministry of Communication and Digital Economy.

It also stated that the offer to NIDCOM had not been withdrawn, but had only hit a bump arising from the preparation for the visit of President Buhari to launch the projects and inaugurate the complex. It said that the Board and Management of NCC took a decision to ensure that every activity in the building was in line with the Federal Government’s agenda.

Going further, the statement reads:

“Incidentally, after the offer of the office spaces to the Diaspora Commission, the Director General, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa had not visited the complex to take possession of any of the offices and also the commission had not started using any of these spaces as offices.

app

‘’As is usual in ensuring security and accountability before, during and after presidential visits, the building had to be cleared to allow for only known and identifiable persons to have access within the complex. Therefore, the Honourable Minister of the Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Dr. Isa Ali Ibrahim Pantami could not have sent armed men to drive the staff of the Diaspora Commission out of the Communication Economy Complex.”

Wealth.ng

The statement also pointed out that as at that time, only NCC staff were accredited to have access within the premises and that all properties belonging to NIDCOM were safely warehoused in some of the offices within the complex.

Continue Reading