Canadian province, Alberta, has issued a total of 3,357 invitations to apply for a provincial nomination for Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) to Express Entry candidates with Comprehensive Ranking System scores as low as 300.
According to information obtained from the Canada Immigration Newsletter, Alberta has so far in 2019 held 14 draws through its Express Entry-aligned immigration stream. Express Entry Candidates nominated by the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Programme (AINP) receive additional 600 points towards their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, which effectively guarantees an invitation to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency.
An earlier report indicated that 3,350 Express Entry candidates were invited to apply for Canadian PR in a new draw held on April 17.
Alberta Express Entry: The Alberta Express Entry Programme was introduced last year, and the Stream allows the province to search the federal Express Entry pool for immigration candidates who meet specified eligibility requirements and invite them to apply for a provincial nomination.
How to Qualify: In order to be eligible for Alberta Express Entry, one of the criteria is that Candidates must have a CRS score of at least 300 and be working in an occupation that supports Alberta’s economic development and diversification priorities. Same goes for candidates hoping to be considered for a nomination for Canadian Permanent Residency from Alberta.
Note that out of 14 draws held so far in 2019, three draws specifically invited Express Entry candidates with scores as low as 300. This is significantly lower than the lowest score drawn through a federal Express Entry draw so far this year, which was 438.
Skilled Traders with low scores invited: On the other hand, the Canadian government invited 500 Federal Skilled Trades Class candidates with Comprehensive Ranking Scores as low as 332 to apply for Canadian permanent residence in a new Express Entry draw held May 15.
This program-specific draw was introduced in September 24, 2018, targetted at candidates in the Federal Skilled Trades Class. It is open to foreign nationals with a certificate of qualification that proves they are qualified to work in a skilled trade occupation in Canada.
Skilled work experience eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Class falls under the following categories of Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC):
- Major Group 72: Industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Major Group 73: Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Major Group 82: Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Major Group 92: Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
- Minor Group 632: Chefs and cooks
- Minor Group 633: Butchers and bakers
Eligible candidates are given a score under Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) that is based on factors such as age, education, skilled work experience and proficiency in English or French and are entered into the Express Entry pool.
Covid-19: US economy grappling with 10 million job losses, adds 379,000 jobs in February
The Covid-19 pandemic has led to the mandatory lockdown of major businesses and factories in the US.
The World’s biggest economy is grappling with the loss of 10 million jobs due to the Covid-19.
The Covid-19 pandemic led to the mandatory lockdown of major businesses and factories in the country. This meant downsizing for most companies who could not continue paying salaries with no incoming revenue
According to the Nasdaq, the unemployment rate in the United States economy was at its highest in April last year, reaching a record high of 14.7%. The unemployment rate dropped to 6% but that is still a significant number.
According to CNN, the US economy added 379,000 Jobs in February this year. This is a clear sign of the world biggest economy getting back on track. Although the US economy is still missing around 9.5 million jobs since the beginning of Covid-19.
According to Nasdaq, the most affected industries in the Covid 19 economic decline is the Hospitality and Outdoor industry. Hotels and restaurant workers were mostly put out of jobs. They also fall into a category regarded as the long-term unemployment category. This category is used to define those who have been without a job for 27 weeks.
Big government to the rescue
The United States government has rolled out the following packages to cushion the effect of the Covid 19:
- The Joe Biden Administration has postulated a 1.9 trillion Covid Relief Package for Americans. The Bill made it through a house vote and now needs to pass the senate-house too.
- Jobless American workers will be entitled to an extra $400 a week.
- The Joe Biden new relief bill will also contain a $1,400 stimulus check for citizens.
What to know
- The US economy is gradually shifting to the post-Covid-19 era adding 379,000 jobs in February alone. It added a paltry 166,000 jobs in January.
- The United States major economic rival China is already in the post-Covid-19 era, the only major economic country in the post-Covid-19 era.
Jack Dorsey’s Square set to acquire majority stake in Jay Z’s Tidal for $297 million
Jack Dorsey’s company, Square set to acquire Tidal, the streaming music service owned by Jay-Z for a $297 million deal.
Square, the mobile payments company owned by Jack Dorsey, announced on Thursday its plan to acquire a “significant majority” of Tidal, the streaming music service owned by Hip-hop music mogul, Jay-Z.
Square said it expects to pay $297 million, in a combination of cash and stock, for a stake in Tidal. Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter will join Square’s board, subject to the closing of the transaction while Tidal will operate independently within Square.
Existing artist shareholders will still remain stakeholders. Other Tidal artist-owners include Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Kanye West, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, and Rihanna.
In a tweet made by Jay-Z today, he highlighted that “from the beginning that TIDAL was about more than just streaming music, and six years later, it has remained a platform that supports artists at every point in their careers. Artists deserve better tools to assist them in their creative journey.”
He also commented that “Jack is one of the greatest minds of our times, and our many discussions about TIDAL’s endless possibilities have made me even more inspired about its future. This shared vision makes me even more excited to join the Square board.
“This partnership will be a game-changer for many. I look forward to all this new chapter has to offer!”
Jack Dorsey, who is CEO of both Square and Twitter, also commented on this deal “comes down to one simple idea: finding new ways for artists to support their work.”
“New ideas are found at intersections, and we believe there’s a compelling one between music and the economy. I knew Tidal was something special as soon as I experienced it, and it will continue to be the best home for music, musicians, and culture.”
Jesse Dorogusker, a Square executive will lead Tidal on an interim basis. He added that Square will offer financial tools to help Tidal’s artists collect revenue and manage their finances. “There are other tools they need to be successful and that we’re going to build for them,”.
What you should know
- Last month, Jack Dorsey and Jay-Z announced a Bitcoin fund focused on developing the cryptocurrency’s adoption in Africa and India.
- In 2017, Sprint bought a 33% stake in Tidal. This week, Jay-Z bought back those shares from T-Mobile (which acquired Sprint).
- Last month, Jay-Z announced that he would sell 50 percent of his champagne company, Armand de Brignac — better known as Ace of Spades — to LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton amid a downturn in the entertainment industry caused by the pandemic that has affected some of Jay-Z’s holdings.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
Access our Live Feed portal for the latest company earnings as they drop.
- Seplat falls into a loss in FY 2020
- 2020 FY Results: Cornerstone Insurance Plc reports a 61.1% decline in profit
- Ellah Lakes increases operating expenses by 33.36% in HY 2020
- 2020 FY Results: Nigerian Breweries reports a 54.3% decline in profits in 2020
- Abbey Mortgage Bank projects N51.08 million profit in Q2 2020.