The Chief Executive Officer of Visionscape Sanitation Solutions (VSS) Ltd., John Irvine has explained why the waste management company sacked not less than 18 area managers.
The 18 area managers of Visionscape who were relieved of their duties on Friday, April 13, 2018, according to Irvine, were sacked as a result of the company’s commitment to restructure its business.
In a statement made available to newsmen in Lagos, Irvine revealed that there was a cohesive change in the scope of the company’s contract, and in turn, its modus operandi.
Irvine said that the organisation had keen emphasis on performance and sustainability of the business, in the current operating environment.
He said that the waste management company evaluated every employee in all functions of the business, using individual performance assessments as a basis of decision-making.
According to him, this methodology highlights the core individuals that need to be retained, considering the resizing and right-sizing of the business.
“Unfortunately, in tandem, some employees were affected by the process. We reiterate that the decision to terminate the area managers’ employment was purely a business decision.
“This is as management reviewed the manpower requirements against the backdrop of the delivery of our current scope,” the CEO added.
The Lagos State Government had reached an agreement with waste collection operators otherwise known as Private Sector Participant (PSP) operators, Visionscape Sanitation Solution to work together as partners to achieve a cleaner, healthier, and safer Lagos.
Under this new agreement, the PSP returned to its role as residential waste collectors while Visionscape will oversee the waste management infrastructural reforms in the state.
More so, Visionscape had refurbished three dilapidated Transfer Loading Stations previously managed by LAWMA in Simpson, Agege, and Oshodi.
Recall that trouble started between the PSP operators and the Lagos State Government when the government suspended their operation in the state and engaged the services of Visionscape to manage the refuse collection in the state.
Covid-19: WHO approves China’s Sinopharm vaccine
WHO has announced the approval of China’s Sinopharm vaccine for Covid-19 vaccination.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced the approval of China’s Sinopharm vaccine for Covid-19 vaccination. The vaccine is reported to have 79% efficacy against covid.
This was disclosed today in a report by Reuters. The vaccine would also be the second Chinese-made vaccine after Sinovac vaccine and would be the first developed outside Europe and North America to receive WHO accreditation.
“This expands the list of COVID-19 vaccines that COVAX can buy, and gives countries confidence to expedite their own regulatory approval, and to import and administer a vaccine,” WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
The WHO added that the easy storage requirements make it highly suitable for low-resource settings.
“Its easy storage requirements make it highly suitable for low-resource settings,” a WHO statement said while also disclosing that the vaccine has been approved for people above the age of 18 to receive two shots.
“On the basis of all available evidence, WHO recommends the vaccine for adults 18 years and older, in a two-dose schedule with a spacing of three to four weeks,” the statement added.
The vaccine was created by Beijing Biological Products Institute, a subsidiary of Sinopharm subsidiary China National Biotec Group, with an efficacy of 79% for all age groups.
The WHO however, admitted that few older adults (over 60 years) were enrolled in clinical trials, so efficacy could not be estimated in this age group.
In case you missed it
The quest for vaccine efficiency got a major boost earlier this week as Nairametrics reported that the United States government announced that it supports the waiver of Intellectual Property Protections on Covid-19 vaccine development, in a bid to boost the fight against the pandemic, and says it will participate in the Okonjo-Iweala-led WTO negotiation to make it happen.
“Mama Taraba”, Former minister and senator, Aisha Al-Hassan is dead
Ex-Women Affairs minister, Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan, popularly known as Mama Taraba is dead
A former Minister for Women Affairs and ex-Governorship Candidate in Taraba State, Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan, popularly known as Mama Taraba is dead.
According to media reports she died in a hospital on Friday in Cairo, Egypt at the age of 61.
Al-Hassan, who was a former senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from Taraba North Senatorial District, was the All Progressive Congress (APC) Governorship Candidate for Taraba in the 2015 general elections.
She later contested for the same seat on the platform of the United Democratic Party in the 2019 general elections after resigning from APC and as a minister in the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari on July 27, 2018.
The former senator was born on the 16th of September, 1959 in Jalingo, Taraba State, to Alhaji Abubakar Ibrahim, Sarkin Ayukan Muri.
Aisha Jummai Al-Hassan attended Muhammed Nya Primary School, Jalingo and LEA Primary School, Tudun Wada, Kaduna before proceeding to Saint Faith College (now GGSS) Kawo Kaduna where she studied between January 1973 and June 1977.
Nairametrics | Company Earnings
Access our Live Feed portal for the latest company earnings as they drop.
- Okomu Oil proposes dividend worth N6.7 billion for shareholders.
- Ardova Plc confirms appointment of Oladeinde Nelson-Cole as secretary.
- Cadbury Nigeria Plc set to hold 56th Annual General Meeting (AGM) on June 16.
- FCMB Group Plc appoints Muibat Ijaiya as Director.
- Afromedia Plc reports a loss after tax of N27.3 million in Q1 2021.