The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) has upgraded its web platform and as such has introduced some 6 new electronic solutions Nigerians can make use of in the comfort of their homes and offices. According to the Executive Chairman, Tunde Fowler, these e-services will improve the convenience, transparency and round the clock processing and payment of taxes.
The 6 newly introduced services include
- Taxpayer registration (through e-Registration)
- Payment of Stamp Duties (through e-Stamp Duty)
- Payment of taxes (through online payment: e-TaxPay, Remita)
- Receiving of electronic receipt after payment of taxes (through e-Receipt)
- Filing tax returns online (through e-filing)
- Collection of Tax Clearance Certificates (TCC) online through electronic Tax Clearance Certificate (e-TCC solution)
Fowler expressed the goal of the FIRS in introducing these new services as making tax payment very easy. It is, in turn, believed that if tax payment is easy and transparent, more taxpayers will be encouraged to pay their taxes and thus revenue generated will increase. The introduction of these services is an initial step in the FIRS’ revolution in tax administration aimed at making tax administration people-centric.