Nairametrics| In latest threat to the modest gains recorded in the economy, reports indicate six Nigerian soldiers have been killed in new military campaign against militants in the Niger Delta region.
Here is what we know so far?
- There was a new confrontation in the Ajakpa community in Ondo State.
- The army and security forces thus moved in on Sunday to hunt down militants involved in oil theft and kidnapping.
- Reuters reports that at least six soldiers were killed, as was the leader of a gang.
- The leader of the gang was said to have used the area as base to stage operations inside the Delta.
- The Military claims that it carried out the raid operations to clear remnants of miscreants, militant camps, shrines and hideouts.
- However the Ijaw Youth Council responded that the army had laid siege to the community and harmed civilians. They also claimed that their women and children were dying on the hour of starvation and diseases and that women are being raped and sexually harassed.
- The military rejected the allegations as propaganda.