Nairametrics| The Nigerian midfielder, John Mikel Obi, after his announcement to leave the Premier League leaders Chelsea, has signed a three-year deal with Tianjin TEDA FC, which will reportedly pay him 140,000 pounds a week. This is twice what he received while at Stamford Bridge and makes him the highest paid Nigerian footballer and first to cross $100, 000 pounds a week.
Renowned players’ agent and consultant, Babawo Mohammed had said;
I want to congratulate him for being the first Nigerian to earn more than 100,000 pounds a week as far as football is concerned. It is huge, it is historic….It is not easy for someone to believe in you so much so that he will spend that kind of money on you weekly. This is good cash for a player who has won almost everything at club level. He needs the money, not just fame”.
Mikel Obi who had been at Stamford Bridge for 10 years, had won the UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup. He has been a fringe player since the new coach, Antonio Conte took over and is fas t approaching the twilight of his career.
Mikel is not the only player to have recently moved to China. Here are notable names.
- Alex Teixeira, Jiangsu Suning, £38m
- Jackson Martinez, Guangzhou Evergrande, £31m
- Ramires, Jiangsu Sunins, £20m
- Gervinho, Hebei China Fortune, £11m
- Asamoah Gyan, Shanghai SIPG, Undisclosed
- Paulinho, Guangzhou Evergrande, £10m
- Demba Ba, Shanghai Greenland Shenhua, £11m
- Tim Cahill, Shanghai Greenland Shenhua, Free
Why move to China? This article from the Daily Telegraph UK, provides possible reasons.