- For not regularising its licence since 2005,the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) in Ibadan, Oyo State has sealed Skannet General Data Engineering Services located at the Kongi Area.
- The commission had ordered the staff to vacate the premises before shutting it down.
- The Ibadan Zonal Controller of NCC, Mr Banji Ojo who led the team that carried out the exercise, told newsmen that the company was sealed off because it has been running Internet Service Provision (ISP) in the last 10 years without a regularized operating license and owes N5 million as levies.
“This company has failed to regularize its operating license which expired in 2005. We have been monitoring them and even met with them on several occasions on this issue but they refused to comply. The last time their Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Sunday Folayan attended one of our meetings in Abuja, he promised to comply and pay instalmentally, but refused to fulfill his promise,” Ojo said.
- He explained that henceforth the firm could not transact any business until it complied fully with the rules and regulations of operating such business, adding that the NCC, which had provided opportunities for businesses to thrive, was not interested in shutting down businesses but insisted on absolute compliance with the rules governing telecommunication business in Nigeria.
- Ojo warned other erring companies to always comply with the rules of their existence and operations, stressing that the commission would not hesitate to prosecute violators of regulations.