- Renaissance Capital, has announces that Temi Popoola has been appointed CEO for Nigeria.
- In his new role, Mr. Popoola will focus on equities and growing the investment banking side of the business, as well as overseeing a 25-strong team in Lagos. He will report to Igor Vayn, CEO, and Ruslan Babaev, Chief Business Officer, with additional reporting lines to Ben Samuels, Global Head of Equities, and James Friel, Global Head of Investment Banking.
- Mr. Popoola joined Renaissance Capital in July 2015 and has been working closely with the sales team, traders and research analysts both locally and across the Firm’s network of offices to drive the Nigerian equities business.
- He has over 13 years of international experience in equities and derivatives in emerging markets. Prior to joining the Firm, he played a key role in building a successful equities business at CSL Stockbrokers/FCMB in Lagos, enabling the company to become the number two by market share on the NSE in 2014.
- Mr. Popoola began his career as an asset manager in London in 2002, before joining Bank of America Securities in New York in 2006 as a trader in equity derivatives. He then moved to Lagos three years later to join the United Bank for Africa as Head of New Products and Investments. Mr. Popoola was also the co-founder of Centurion Capital Partners, an asset management firm based in New York.
- He holds a First Class degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Lagos and obtained a Master’s Degree from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Igor Vayn, CEO, Renaissance Capital, commented: “We are very pleased to have appointed Temi as CEO for Nigeria. He brings a wealth of experience to the role and his expertise will enable us to further strengthen our offering there. Nigeria is a crucially important market for the Firm and has vast potential. Therefore, we are committed to building our presence in the country and the wider sub- Saharan region, and Temi’s appointment will allow us to continue our strong progress over recent years.”
Temi Popoola, CEO, Nigeria, Renaissance Capital, added: “I am excited to be leading the next phase of Renaissance Capital’s growth in Africa’s largest economy. While frontier markets globally are currently facing cyclical headwinds, the long-term investment case for Nigeria has never been stronger. Renaissance Capital is a leading local partner for those seeking investments in Nigeria and remains committed to providing financial expertise and solutions in the country for both our domestic and international clients. I look forward to working with our clients, employees, and other stakeholders as we grow our business.”