- Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State on Thursday reiterated his commitment to creating an enabling environment for investors in the State.
- Mr Ambode stated this while receiving a delegation of Walmart Incorporated, a leading global brand in retail supermarket.
- He said that the state was ready to give necessary support to assist investors in establishing presence in the state.
- According to him, the presence of the brand in Lagos will go a long way, not only to create jobs for the teeming youths in Lagos state, but also boost the cash-flow of the state.
- He said that the success story of the brand, which currently operates in 28 countries with over 2.2 million employees, would be beneficial to the growth of the state.
“That summarizes the reason Walmart has to berth in Lagos. We are committed to expanding the business scope for Walmart and like I said, I am interested in having your brand signature in Lagos. You have been pro-people and that is why we find a congress between the objectives of Walmart and Lagos State Government’’
‘’We have a population of over 21 million people and four million of that population is in the middle class. We have a bulging youth that is craving for employment’’
“And whatever it is that we do, we want to make sure that we attract as much investment in Lagos that can help us to take our youths off the streets and give them employment”
- In his response, Shelley Broader, President and Chief Executive Officer of Walmart Europe, Middle East, Africa and Canada, acknowledged the investment opportunities that abound in the state.
- Broader said that the Group was in Lagos to do business thereby expanding its horizon and create jobs for the people.
”We are incredibly excited and proud to be in this exciting state of Lagos. Just looking at the burgeoning economy and at the growth in this market is very exciting.
”Walmart operates around the world in 28 countries and our mission is to lower the cost of living, to help people save and live better,” she said.