- Oando Energy Resources (OER), a subsidiary of Oando Group, has called on the three tiers of government in Nigeria to develop legislative and regulatory frameworks to drive the usage of renewable energy in the country.
- Speaking at the LiveWell Initiative, LWI, 2015 Annual Multi-sectoral Grand Health Bazaar (GHB2015) held recently in Lagos, Head of Operations Integrity at OER, Mr. Kayode Boladale said the use of renewable energy would help alleviate poverty, especially as it enhances technological capacity and economic development of developing countries.
- According to him, environmentally sound technology may also prevent people in developing countries from destroying the basis of their life-support through over-exploitation of natural resources.
- He explained that renewable energy provides an enormous opportunity to drastically reduce Green House Gas (GHG) emissions, pursue economic growth and enhance energy security, thereby, advancing sustainable development.
He said, “It is necessary to develop a communication and awareness action plan to raise awareness on the benefits of using renewable energy and energy efficiency against other forms
“Therefore, Governments have a duty to create the enabling environment through a government –private collaboration in developing infrastructures required to drive renewable energy.”
- He noted that renewable energy and energy efficiency are widely recognised as the most promising alternatives for reducing fossil energy consumption, mitigating climate change, and advancing the goal of energy sustainability.
- According to Boladale, renewable energy propels a green economy revolution and captures interrelationship between the environment, the economy, and human well-being in the effort to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
- Source: NAN